PEGASUS BRIDGE AND HISTORY IN THE VICINITY

Discussions on High Command, strategy and the Armed Forces (Wehrmacht) in general.
Maksym Chornyi

Post by Maksym Chornyi » 31 Jul 2021 15:05

I am extremely excited to continue my ‘NORMANDY’ series of articles from the 2019 trip to France. The city of Benouville and Pegasus bridge is probably among the most recognizable and cited WWII places in France, yet the same information has been repeated from one source to another. I was out to research pretty every book I have found regarding the capture of Pegasus bridge accompanied by Apr. 70 books on D-day, occupation, and liberation of France, from classic ‘The longest day’ to the newcomers by Holland and Caddick-Adams, from Ambrose to the French travel guides of the 1930s. Apart from the exhaustedly detailed research of 12 000 words, you will find my photos of the sites as well as 70 rare historical photos, some of them published for the first time.

More than always, I would greatly appreciate your time reading the article, leaving your comments, asking questions, suggesting corrections. You feedback fuel my enthusiasm to travel, read books and do the writing and sharing.

https://war-documentary.info/pegasus-bridge-benouville/

AETIUS 1980

Re: PEGASUS BRIDGE AND HISTORY IN THE VICINITY

Post by AETIUS 1980 » 31 Jul 2021 16:47

Hello, myself Normand and keen on local history, the fact remains that there are now reliable sources on the material and structural means aligned by the Germans, the supervision of this one and the actions undertaken in during the first few hours. This information is available starting on the AFH site and can be improved with the help of the community of people contributing of their knowledge. Too much disinformation is still conveyed to this day, something that bothers me a little (Major Hans SCHMIDT by exemple, static as a percentage of the capacities of Gr.Rgt.736 / 716.Inf.Div, over evaluation of Volksdeutsche/DVL. III within the units, concealment of the facts with a neutral gaze emancipated from only the writings British.....).
Anyway, well done, however, for the investment made.
I wish you success.
Regards
Romain

Hans1906

Post by Hans1906 » 31 Jul 2021 19:44

Maksym,

another first-class work on your part, excellent, one can only take off the hat! :thumbsup:

Ganz große Klasse! :milwink:

Hans
Es ist im Leben wichtig, viel zu wissen.
Manchmal ist es noch wichtiger, zu wissen, daß man nichts weiß.

Sheldrake

Post by Sheldrake » 31 Jul 2021 22:19

Lots of interesting information and images. I agree with Aetius - check and double check the sources for your details about the German defenders.

You could also extend the article to tell more about the real battle for the Britisges that only started once the bridges had been capturesd. F Troop of 318 Battery 92 Light AA Regiment deployed around the Ranville and Benouville bridges at dusk on D Day - they came via Le Port and cleared that village. The troop commander was awarded an MC for his actions. IT may have been a clip of 40mm bofors rounds that blew a hole in the church tower not a Piat.

Their battle started on D+1. Over the next ten days their shot down fourteen aircraft (or vica versa). This was the battle that left the scars on the bridge. By the end of June the bridges were defended by a lot more 40mm and triple 20mm AA Guns. The details are err in my book on Gunners in Normandy. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NRF556W/ ... TF8&btkr=1

The 40mm Bofors on display painted in the colours of F Troop is not accurate. F troop were equipped with SP Bofors guns. This gun I suspect is a post war Bofors L60.

Return to “German Strategy & General German Military Discussion”