Need some advice

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
nhynonen

Need some advice

Post by nhynonen » 07 Aug 2021, 16:30

I recently acquired a German ww2 silver wound badge maker marked "30" from Emedals auction, i put it for sale and in my absence a renowned auctioneer evaluated that the badge is a fake and gave no further explanations as to how or why. I was not there to meet him or to inquire how the badge was fake but that is what i was told that they said. I am reluctant to doubt its authenticity because i have a great deal of trust with Emedals and with the items they provide so does anyone have any insight as to is this badge genuine or not? I greatly appreciate any help on this. I will put the link to the Emedals auction where i purchased the badge coupled with a black grade wound badge, since posting other pictures of the badge are challenging at the moment so bear with me.

https://www.emedals.com/germany-wehrmac ... ver-grades

Hans1906
Banned

Re: Need some advice

Post by Hans1906 » 07 Aug 2021, 18:48

Lots of fakes, reproductions all over the planet earth, no idea so far...

Father of my childhood friend Hans-Jürgen was awarded the golden "Verwundetenabzeichen" as late in 1944/1945.
The man was bilateral thigh amputated in 1944, came back home in a train full of wounded soldiers.
(His married wife ran away back then, she could not stand this)

He was awarded the "Goldenes Verwundetenabzeichen".

Verwundetenabzeichen https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verwundetenabzeichen

The man with "no more legs" he made it until the mid 1960s, hard working, a father of 4 children after 1945.

His name was Johann "Jan" Reil, some local people still remember the man, like me...

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 08 Aug 2021, 02:51

Hello nhynomen ;

Welcome to AHF.

It is true that Emedals has a good reputation, and until now, I've never see them sell counterfeits.

There are some differences compared to another badge marked 30 ( Also sold by them ) on the reverse side,
Mainly in the stamped number 30, and in the closure set.

Tombak, marked 30, Silver Grade; https://www.emedals.com/a-silver-grade- ... -30-g15605

I dare not say that it is a fake.
Go to the Wehrmacht Awards Forum for more opinions, here there are people very specialized in this wounded badge.
Attachments
Wound Badge Two.jpg
Wound Badge Two.jpg (145.79 KiB) Viewed 11815 times
Wound Badge One.jpg
Wound Badge One.jpg (50.53 KiB) Viewed 11815 times
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

nhynonen

Post by nhynonen » 08 Aug 2021, 10:36

Thanks a lot m8, i will try to find more insight from other sources. As i said and as you said, it is not plausible that Emedals sold a fake wound badge to me, it is not something they would do. It is not impossible but very unlikely.

matthew4108

Post by matthew4108 » 12 Aug 2021, 14:05

If you're in doubt, send the piece back and request a refund. Emedals is a good outfit but like everyone else, they do make mistakes, sometimes silly, sometimes small but they do happen.

William Kramer
Host - Militaria sections

Post by William Kramer » 27 Apr 2022, 01:19

the badge from emedals is an authentic example which actually started life as a gold grade, but unfortunately the finish evaporated exposing the bare zinc base metal. This is why you see a gold pin on the reverse, as it held to the steel pin but not the badge itself.

whoever is calling this badge a fake has no clue what they're looking at.

William Kramer
to view my museum and shop:

http://Wehrmacht-Militaria.com

Return to “Axis Awards”