Anti shipping mission and Flackship

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
EFBE

Anti shipping mission and Flackship

Post by EFBE » 31 Aug 2021, 18:31

Hi,

this message is the first that I put in your community, that I thank for its reception.

I'm researching RAF missions. often, these are devoted to the fight against coastal convoys off the coast of Brittany, and the destruction of flackship.
I am very helpless on these two subjects.
- no pictures of flakships
- no chronology on the German side of the convoys attacked along the coasts.

example: June 25, 1942, a convoy was attacked off the island of Ouessant (destroyer and minelayers).

is it possible to consult a database listing these missions? (losses, composition etc ...)

thank you if you could help me or give me a direction ...

cordially

Darius333

Re: Anti shipping mission and Flackship

Post by Darius333 » 01 Sep 2021, 08:45

Hi EFBE,

1. The Germans didn´t use this type of vessels "flakship". You have to look for "Vorpostenboote", "Minensucher", "U-Jäger" and f.e. "Artilleriefährprähme". "flakship" is a summary for smaller vessels with anti-aircraft capabilitiy.

2. As I know, there were some tries to start such a database for german convoys, but non of such projects get through.

3. Look at the "Kriegestagebücher der Seekriegsleitung" and https://www.wlb-stuttgart.de/seekrieg/chronik.htm for a fast cross reference.

Regards

Darius

EFBE

Post by EFBE » 02 Sep 2021, 13:21

Darius !

I thank you for this information, the content of which is as rich as it is unexpected. I did not know the terminology applicable to German convoys, especially in such detail.
a very big thank you for this precious help
sincerely
EFBE

Panzerspitze

Post by Panzerspitze » 06 Sep 2021, 06:26

Die Deutsche Wochenschau does refer to certain AA ships as "FlaK-Kreuzer", such as in No. 714:
http://www.awm.gov.au/collection/C189278

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”