Info from Volksbund Website - Abbreviation Help

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
Suzan J

Info from Volksbund Website - Abbreviation Help

Post by Suzan J » 10 Sep 2021, 18:12

I had previously posted a request for help in translating a death card for one of my uncles. Thanks to one of the respondents who referred me to the Volksbund website, I was able to locate the final cemetery sites for all three of my uncles. Two have actual plot numbers and one is marked as "unknown". They were apparently re-buried in three separate cemeteries. I also entered the name of my grandfather to the site and the following information was displayed. Does anyone know what the abbreviation of "Kgf" might mean? What is the possible scenario for being reported missing or dead on 5 March 1946? Could this mean that a relative reported him missing a year after the war ended?
Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 11.49.46 AM.png

Hohlladung

Re: Info from Volksbund Website - Abbreviation Help

Post by Hohlladung » 10 Sep 2021, 19:55

Hi Suzan,

Kgf is the abbreviation for Kriegsgefangenschaft.

So he died in captivity as POW 5 March 1946 in Minsk/Belarus.
Most likely Kriegsgefangenenlager 168 Minsk.

Best regards
Armin
"Ihr verfluchten Racker, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" Friedrich, II. in der Schlacht von Kolin am 18.Juni 1757 zu seinen zurückgehenden Grenadieren.

Suzan J

Re: Info from Volksbund Website - Abbreviation Help

Post by Suzan J » 11 Sep 2021, 03:16

Thank you Armin This explanation is very helpful and has answered some long standing questions for me. I had been simply told that my grandfather was deployed to the eastern front in mid 1943 following the bombing of Wuppertal where his wife (my grandmother) was killed and the factory in which he worked had been destroyed . I was told he was simply never heard from again. I have now contacted the DRK to ask if there are any prison records available.

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”