What was germanys most sophisticated bomber that actually saw combat?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Malignity

What was germanys most sophisticated bomber that actually saw combat?

Post by Malignity » 16 Sep 2021, 13:36

Earlier i red some works about the bf110 and the me210, 310 and finally 410 and i have to say i always sort of skipped literature about german bombers and mainly focused on their fighters and jet engine projects..... anyone care to tell me something about german bomber development in general aswell as the most successful / most used / most sophisticated models that actually saw production & combat?

from my point of view germany sort of lacked a decent mid and long range bomber although later in the war it was understandbly less a priority than (jet)fighters were.

for example which bombers were mainly used in the air war over england or which bombers were used later on in the war, etc.

thanks in advance folks

Sid Guttridge

Re: What was germanys most sophisticated bomber that actually saw combat?

Post by Sid Guttridge » 16 Sep 2021, 14:10

Hi Malignity,

How about the Arado Ar234?

Sid.

Malignity

Post by Malignity » 16 Sep 2021, 14:24

Hi Sid,

i never knew about this model. Thanks for sharing with me

ThatZenoGuy

Post by ThatZenoGuy » 17 Sep 2021, 12:20

My best guess would be the 177. Had remote turrets, ludicrous-complex welded engines, airframe allegedly designed for dive bombing(????) and overall just a mess of features.

T. A. Gardner

Post by T. A. Gardner » 18 Sep 2021, 03:14

I would agree that it's likely the He 177. The Ar 234 was not intended as a bomber when designed but contingencies of war forced the Germans and Arado to turn it into one. As a bomber it was too small and when loaded, slow and vulnerable to fighter interception.

The He 177 on the other hand had a lot of advanced, and mostly unnecessary, features many of which never fully worked right.

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”