Question about Type 1 Ho-Ki vehicle.

Discussions on all aspects of the Japanese Empire, from the capture of Taiwan until the end of the Second World War.
marek O.

Question about Type 1 Ho-Ki vehicle.

Post by marek O. » 18 Sep 2021 23:04

Hello, everybody.
I have one question. Can You identify unit from which that Type 1 Ho-Ki transporter is coming. About the pic I know that caption says it is a captured vehicle in the area of Yokohama in autumn of 1945. It looks like the signs "に" and "40" have been painted originally on the vehicle. Rest - the diamonds - might have been added later by occupation forces. White diamond [full] was a unit sign of 3rd USMC Tank Battalion. I believe however Battalion, after Iwojima, returned to US.
Regards,
Marek
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Akira Takizawa

Re: Question about Type 1 Ho-Ki vehicle.

Post by Akira Takizawa » 19 Sep 2021 04:40

There was no unit at Yokohama. The possible units near Yokohama are as follows.

2nd Tank Regiment at Atsugi
41st Tank Regiment at Ebina
IJA Academy at Zama

The markings of these units are not known. So, the unit cannot be identified.

Taki
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

marek O.

Post by marek O. » 19 Sep 2021 09:08

Dear Taki,
Thank You very much.
It's a pity the unit cannot be identified.
Interesting picture from Zama though with Su-Ki in the background.
Regards,
Marek

marek O.

Post by marek O. » 12 Nov 2021 08:20

Hello gentlemen,

Here is another Ho-Ki picture. With unit sign painted on front. I left the original caption under the pic. Question is - can You identify the unit. I've got the J-Tank Magazine number 12 in which there is a table with IJA 2nd Armored Division unit signs. Only one slightly similar sign in this table is 2nd Mobile Infantry Regiment. But just similar, and rather very slightly. Probably it is not 2nd AD. So, what unit can it be?
Regards,
Marek

Akira Takizawa

Post by Akira Takizawa » 12 Nov 2021 15:30

I think that it is the insignia of 2nd Mobile Infantry Regiment. Probably, the American mistook the direction of Japanese document. This will be the correct direction of figures.
戦車第二師団のマーキング.jpg
Taki

marek O.

Post by marek O. » 12 Nov 2021 19:02

Dear Taki,
Wow!
That changes a lot and explains a lot. At least for me. Thank You indeed very much.
Regards,
Marek

Return to “Japan at War 1895-1945”