Which sword is this?

Discussions on other First and Second World War militaria and collecting in general. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Zoglet

Which sword is this?

Post by Zoglet » 09 Oct 2021, 05:46

Fellow collectors,

Please help me. I've just found a photograph of this piece, and I merely want to learn how to classify it.

von thoma

Re: Which sword is this?

Post by von thoma » 09 Oct 2021, 07:47

Hello Zoglet ;

A sword out of pattern, a prototype, maybe a sword made for gift, or on request.
It seems to be inspired (grip/handle) by this sword of the Diplomatic Corps.

Diplomatic Sword.jpg
Diplomatic Sword.jpg (50.81 KiB) Viewed 7708 times
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Zoglet

Post by Zoglet » 09 Oct 2021, 14:34

Thank you for the idea, von thoma. I saw the resemblance as well, mainly due to the shape of the guard, but also noticed a few inconsistencies with the Diplomatic Corps sword, and the one from earlier, such as the prominent Sigrun where the mother-of-pearl grip would be, or the oakleaf motif on the grip and scabbard locket. Also, the portepee seems to be a bayonet portepee for the SS unterfuhrer, although I may be wrong, there. I do agree with your statement that this may have been a gift for a specific officer, similarly to Goering's wedding sword. Thank you for your time.

Zoglet

Zoglet

Post by Zoglet » 09 Oct 2021, 16:47

Zoglet wrote:
09 Oct 2021, 14:34
Thank you for the idea, von thoma. I saw the resemblance as well, mainly due to the shape of the guard, but also noticed a few inconsistencies with the Diplomatic Corps sword, and the one from earlier, such as the prominent Sigrun where the mother-of-pearl grip would be, or the oakleaf motif on the grip and scabbard locket. Also, the portepee seems to be a bayonet portepee for the SS unterfuhrer, although I may be wrong, there. I do agree with your statement that this may have been a gift for a specific officer, similarly to Goering's wedding sword. Thank you for your time.

Zoglet

[Additionally, I was able to locate an unsheathed photograph of the sword, which is monogrammed with what appears to be the traditional monogram for the Leibstandarte Adolf Hitler (L running through an A, which is located between the two bars of the H).]

Zoglet

Post by Zoglet » 09 Oct 2021, 22:47

von thoma wrote:
09 Oct 2021, 07:47
Hello Zoglet ;

A sword out of pattern, a prototype, maybe a sword made for gift, or on request.
It seems to be inspired (grip/handle) by this sword of the Diplomatic Corps.

Diplomatic Sword.jpg
[I got my confirmation. The blade belonged to Sepp Dietrich, Oberstgruppenfuhrer of the Waffen-SS]

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 11 Oct 2021, 14:54

I got my confirmation. The blade belonged to Sepp Dietrich, Oberstgruppenfuhrer of the Waffen-SS
I consider this statement about a special "honorary sword" ("Ehrendegen") for Dietrich to be pure speculation.

Unfortunately, I am not personally familiar with all the books on this subject, but in the books I have, and there are several, this
special "Ehrendegen" not mentioned anywhere.

In the publications of the manufacturers at the time, especially from the city of Solingen were published many such "prototypes", little of which was ever actually produced.
(Very many photos can be found on the Internet...)

The experts in the https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/content/ for sure will have a better answer... :wink:

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 11 Oct 2021, 22:42

I consider this statement about a special "honorary sword" ("Ehrendegen") for Dietrich to be pure speculation.
Not, Zoglet was right.

I don't have this book, but this rare sword is mentioned here, and is the subject of its cover.

1985 'Collecting the Edged Weapons of the Third Reich ' Vol 5, by LTC Thomas M. Johnson ( Ret ).
( The complete collection is 8 volumes. )
Attachments
51AiBiSK4NL.jpg
51AiBiSK4NL.jpg (64.96 KiB) Viewed 6507 times
514yirfQm9L.jpg
514yirfQm9L.jpg (32.66 KiB) Viewed 6507 times
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 13 Oct 2021, 13:34

I don't have this book, but this rare sword is mentioned here, and is the subject of its cover.
Thanks to von thoma for posting this information, the book is quite well known, but also not in my collection.

How nice that you never stop learning, everything else would be very boring... :wink:

Link: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ss-diens ... ord-18125/

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Return to “Other WW1 & WW2 Militaria”