I want to know more about the league of German Girls (BDM) members as air-raid assistant

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
Sebastian_Z

I want to know more about the league of German Girls (BDM) members as air-raid assistant

Post by Sebastian_Z » 10 Oct 2021, 16:20

Dear all:
Hello, I am a history enthusiast and I would like to learn more about BDM members participate in air-raid assistants roles. I create this character name Erika who join the BDM and participate as an air-raid first-aid assistant during 1942-1945, but I run into difficulties designing proper clothing for her.
I definitely knew BDM members do activity contribute in aiding in the war efforts by helping out in occupied territory, farming, child caring, and air-raid assisting, many internet sources have confirmed that. But I cannot find any pictures of BDM members as air-raid assistants besides a picture of some girls on a 20mm FLAK gun as a propaganda picture.
In the movie <Downfall> there is also a BDM member character as a FLAK gun operator, so I know this must exist in real life in some way, but I digress.
How many BDM fill the role of air-raid assistants? What would a BDM member wear if she act as an air-raid assistant? What would a BDM member as an air-raid first-aid (Medical) assistant wear? Would they wear a gas mask? (To protect from smoke) What about helmets?
Could someone share some light on this topic? Thank you in advance.
Best regards,
Sebastian_Z
Attachments
BDM Erika.PNG

Sebastian_Z

Re: I want to know more about the league of German Girls (BDM) members as air-raid assistant

Post by Sebastian_Z » 11 Oct 2021, 15:43

Base on the research I had done, I had set her rank as Maedelgruppenfuehrerin, the uniform and insignias should be right, but I am not sure if a 17-year-old girl could be a Maedelgruppenfuehrerin.

Hans1906
Banned

Re: I want to know more about the league of German Girls (BDM) members as air-raid assistant

Post by Hans1906 » 11 Oct 2021, 16:03

Just one photo about BDM girls, called "air raid wardens" ("Luftschutzhelferinnen") at the time.

Google photo search for "luftschutzhelferinnen": https://www.google.com/search?q=luftsch ... =759&dpr=1

Hans

Attachments
BDM Luftschutz.jpg
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Return to “Women in the Reich”