Found a forgotten German war grave, where to declare ?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
D.Laurent

Found a forgotten German war grave, where to declare ?

Post by D.Laurent » 21 Nov 2021, 17:32

Hi !

This might not be the correct part of the forum but maybe some of you are interested into the story of this JG26 pilot.

I've recently discovered (again) the forgotten war grave of a German pilot of the JG26. I've tried to find info on volksbund.de but there is no entry (maybe they haven't processed his files)
JG26 archives says he died in Abbeville, but this isn't the case as it seems (60km from there)

Afaik, his planes crashed in a meadow and the German garrison there (326.ID / 752.Rgt / 1.Kp) was not enabled to dig up the body from the ground so they placed a stone as a reminder (they had reached the tail but couldn't go deeper).
This is a known fact (or spread fact) by local historians (fe Chevalier Hugues)

Question: Any idea how to report it so it is not completely forgotten ?
The stone was nearly buried when I found it and had scratches from roadside cleaning machine (so maybe one day the stone will be destroyed)

More information about the pilot here (grabbed from various website like: aircrewremembered.com):
Maletz
Gerhard
Born: 14.06.1920 at Breslau
Died: 14.01.1944 at Alette

Units
6./JG26 (joined in July 1943)

Death (officially in JG26 files):
KIA 14 January, 1944 during aerial combat in "Black 6" with a Spitfire of RAF No. 132 Sq. near Abbeville.
(More info about that day in "JG 26 Luftwaffe Fighter Wing War Diary: 1943-45" from Donald Caldwell)

Knouterer

Re: Found a forgotten German war grave, where to declare ?

Post by Knouterer » 21 Nov 2021, 22:49

Report it to the Volksbund Deutsche Kriegsgräberfürsorge, it's their responsibility, they'll be grateful for the info.
"The true spirit of conversation consists in building on another man's observation, not overturning it." Edward George Bulwer-Lytton

peeved

Post by peeved » 21 Nov 2021, 23:22

If you report your find at the Volksbund contact page https://www.volksbund.de/kontakt in the Text/Anmerkung/Wunsch box they should process the grave info.

Markus

D.Laurent

Post by D.Laurent » 26 Nov 2021, 23:45

thx for your answers !
i will give it a try.

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”