Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving

Discussions on all aspects of the United States of America during the Inter-War era and Second World War. Hosted by Carl Schwamberger.
at6

Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving

Post by at6 » 25 Nov 2021, 13:16

Hello
Norman Rockwell painted a work entitled Home for Thanksgiving, a mother/son peeling potatoes. The son is in an USAF uniform. He is wearing loafers.

Were loafers part of the USAF uniform?

Just struck me as very odd, unless it symbolizes a return to civilian normalcy, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Carl Schwamberger
Host - Allied sections

Re: Norman Rockwell Thanksgiving

Post by Carl Schwamberger » 25 Nov 2021, 18:22

Was not uncommon. The soldier or airman may not have had sufficient civilian clothing in hand. Whatever he left at home may have already been handed down to a younger brother or cousin. So the uniform it would be, tho at home he put on some loafers rather than his heavy military boots.

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 25 Nov 2021, 19:47

Members of the German labor services, for example, often wore their "Drillich" outfit during a vacation at home, not uncommon.

Many of the "Arbeitsmänner" came from peasant families, and so the young men wore these very sturdy work clothes even during their few home vacations.

Farm workers in "Drillich" were not an uncommon sight even in my childhood years, many photos prove that.

Maybe someone can post an image of the picture discussed above, I would like to see that ?

Drillich / Drill (fabric) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_(fabric)

Hans
Attachments
RAD Drillich.JPG
RAD Drillich.JPG (178.74 KiB) Viewed 4778 times
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

LineDoggie

Post by LineDoggie » 26 Nov 2021, 06:23

at6 wrote:
25 Nov 2021, 13:16
Hello
Norman Rockwell painted a work entitled Home for Thanksgiving, a mother/son peeling potatoes. The son is in an USAF uniform. He is wearing loafers.

Just struck me as very odd, unless it symbolizes a return to civilian normalcy, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Happy Thanksgiving!
He's in his own home and not likely to suddenly have a snap uniform inspection.
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

LineDoggie

Post by LineDoggie » 26 Nov 2021, 06:35

By the way it wasnt a USAAF uniform he wears the Shoulder patch of Allied Forces headquarters
1945_11_24.jpg
"There are two kinds of people who are staying on this beach: those who are dead and those who are going to die. Now let’s get the hell out of here".
Col. George Taylor, 16th Infantry Regiment, Omaha Beach

at6

Post by at6 » 26 Nov 2021, 17:00

Thanks for the corrections on AF; good catch.

Yes, agreed no snap inspection on leave (been there, done that), but I thought it odd he is in uniform for whatever reason and wearing loafers.

In the 1980s I saw US Army (granted, reservists) wearing Class A uniforms with non-lace up shoes; was just curious what the regs were back then.

Happy Thanksgiving!

rcocean

Post by rcocean » 02 Jan 2022, 05:58

at6 wrote:
25 Nov 2021, 13:16
Hello

Thanks in advance.

Happy Thanksgiving!
Obviously, any man at home would be in combat boots.

Max

Post by Max » 02 Jan 2022, 07:44

Can we identify the components of the ribbon bar?
I'm guessing the purple heart is one of them.

BTW
The painting is also titled "Thanksgiving Mother and Son Peeling Potatoes"
Some of the story here
https://onlyintherepublicofamherst.blog ... 0Hagelberg
Richard (Dick) Hagelberg returned to the family dairy farm after surviving five years in the 9’th Army Air Corps, flying 65 treacherous daylight bombing missions over Europe, including D-Day.
Also
https://www.norman-rockwell-france.com/ ... 45-p02.php
Interesting that the table has been raised to a physically uncomfortable level on books.[ for compositional reasons? ]
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

ROLAND1369

Post by ROLAND1369 » 02 Jan 2022, 18:56

Even more interesting is although he has his ribbon bar on despite flying 65 missions he is not wearing any aircrew qualification wings.

Max

Post by Max » 03 Jan 2022, 05:09

ROLAND1369 wrote:
02 Jan 2022, 18:56
Even more interesting is although he has his ribbon bar on despite flying 65 missions he is not wearing any aircrew qualification wings.
Rockwell changed him from the specific 9’th Army Air Corps aircrew to the more generic AFHQ.
I can't see the wings in the photographs either.
Where would they have been worn?
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

ROLAND1369

Post by ROLAND1369 » 03 Jan 2022, 06:43

Aircrew qualification wings would have been worn on the left side above the wings. Normally the only reason qualified aircrew would not wear them is if the voluntarily terminated or were administratively removed from flight status for disciplinary reasons. Personell assigned to nonflying positions or those medically unqualified were entitled to continue wearing them. As these wings were a serious object of pride I find it odd that they are not present. Thus I question the 65 mission statement.

Maxschnauzer
Financial supporter

Post by Maxschnauzer » 03 Jan 2022, 08:34

No doubt the lad is giving Mom a lesson on peeling potatoes from his KP experience. :)
Cheers,
Max

Return to “USA 1919-1945”