Need help identifying Italian uniforms.

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
P.08

Need help identifying Italian uniforms.

Post by P.08 » 01 Jan 2022, 22:07

Bought these well over 25 years ago I think on eBay because they were cheap at that time. Never really bothered to research them though and information on WWII Italian uniforms is scarce. Anyway I have three uniforms and a overseas cap. I mainly collect WWII German and US pistols, used to collect German daggers and medals. Have a few items my uncles gave me from WWII. I appreciate any help offered.

The first is a MVSN uniform ink stamped 1927 inside. I find it odd that it has no stars on the collar and there never were any as there are no holes. Rank of Lieutenant I think?

The second is I believe a Captain could not find anything on the collar tabs. Has the jodhpurs pants. No tailor tags or ink stamps there is a marking on the pants hook.

3rd is a summer dress uniform, no rank nice metal shoulder boards.

Last is the overseas cap with rank of Corporal?

von thoma

Re: Need help identifying Italian uniforms.

Post by von thoma » 02 Jan 2022, 03:30

Hello P.08 ;

Welcome to AHF.
The first is a MVSN uniform ink stamped 1927 inside. I find it odd that it has no stars on the collar and there never were any as there are no holes. Rank of Lieutenant I think?
First uniform is for a Lieutenant of Italian Army ( Regio Esercito ), of Engineers branch.

Second tunic for an Army Captain, according to collar patches ( Mostrino ), Infantry of Line, 78º Regiment Infantry "Lupi di Toscana".

Third a summer tunic ?, of an Infantry Regiment too, no rank is available, but officer's shoulder boards.

And the last, a side cap of Italian Artillery Reg.18, Sergeant rank.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

P.08

Post by P.08 » 02 Jan 2022, 04:16

Thank you for the ID on these. The first one I was wondering why it had the fascist MVSN markings inside yet belongs to the regular Royal army? Also should it have had stars on the collar? Not that I would add them, but it looks like there never were any ever put on. At least I know they are real, any idea on value?

von thoma

Post by von thoma » 02 Jan 2022, 05:03

It really looks more like a MVSN jacket, which had that kind of built-in belt, and also because of the colour and cloth.
Then it is possible that modifications have been made.

The collar does not match a tunic MVSN, but should wear a 'mostrina'.

Italian Army tunic with 'mostrina' on collar ( 213th Infantry Regiment "Arno" ).
Italian Army.jpg
MVSN uniform style collar, and special 'mostrina' ( Fasces Lictor ).
MVSN.jpg
MVSN.jpg (17.91 KiB) Viewed 11788 times
Sorry, I can't give you a valuation.
" The right to believe is the right of those who don't know "

Ww2fanatic98

Post by Ww2fanatic98 » 23 Aug 2022, 07:43

Hello, were you interested in selling any of the uniforms? I collect italian militaria

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”