Ghost of Graf Von Moltke

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
Moltke44

Ghost of Graf Von Moltke

Post by Moltke44 » 23 Feb 2022, 17:25

I'm trying to do some research on the fate of Von Moltke the Elder. A fascinating man that has a wealth of information about his life and exploits while alive but I've ran into brick walls on various aspects of the man and estate after his death. Hoped some might be able to answer a few questions or point me in the right direction.

1. There are conflicting stories of the fate of his remains (and double sadly those of his wife and sister buried beside him) at the end of the Second World War. Most sources state the Red Army ransacked his wife (and his) burial chapel on his estate and scattered their remains disgracefully (much like what they did to Von Blucher's body). A few claim German officials actually removed the remains ahead of the Red Army but the location was lost. The former sounds more plausible, as the latter seems unlikely as someone would remember where they were re-buried and seems like a modern cover story to protect Red Army actions. Thoughts?

Secondary question. Were or have there been any attempts to find remaining remains (regardless of culprit) of the Field Marshal or his wife at all? Truly sad end that no one, even family, has something to memorialize the count.

2. There seems to be no debate that the Red Army ransacked the estate and manor house. As far as I can tell there are no surviving elements of the Field Marshals furniture, effects, elements of his home tied to the man. I wondered if that is true or if there are indeed artifacts or items somewhere.

Thanks,

K Bandow

Re: Ghost of Graf Von Moltke

Post by K Bandow » 05 Jul 2022, 21:36

Fascinating post! I honestly never heard of his remains being ransacked like that of von Bluecher. Such a shame... At least in Bluecher's case, some remains were saved.

I am sorry I can't help more, but you have motivated me to research the topic more.

-Karl

Return to “Imperial Germany”