Goldenen Militär-Verdienst-Kreuze

Discussions on all aspects of Imperial Germany not covered in the other sections.
IanE

Goldenen Militär-Verdienst-Kreuze

Post by IanE » 13 Jun 2022, 05:52

I am hoping, a forlorn hope I think, that some one may be able to put a name to this Goldenen Militär-Verdienst-Kreuze winner?
Fingers crossed :)
GKVK.jpg
GKVK.jpg (111.9 KiB) Viewed 2179 times

Hans1906
Banned

Re: Goldenen Militär-Verdienst-Kreuze

Post by Hans1906 » 13 Jun 2022, 14:27

Hi IanE,

a very interesting topic about the "Goldenes Militär-Verdienst-Kreuz".

Goldenes Militär-Verdienst-Kreuz: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldenes_ ... enst-Kreuz
The Golden Military Merit Cross was the highest military award for enlisted men and non-commissioned officers that the Kingdom of Prussia had to award. It is also called "Pour le Mérite des NCOs". The foundation was made on February 27, 1864 by King Wilhelm I of Prussia. It had its origins in the military badge donated by King Friedrich Wilhelm II in 1793.
If you look at the few photos online, you can even see a soldier wearing the award of the time as a neck decoration, the only photo I know of...

I wish you every success in identifying the soldier who was decorated at the time...

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

IanE

Post by IanE » 13 Jun 2022, 21:49

Hi Hans,
Thank you for your response. I have already'book-marked' the 'GMVK wikipedia' site. As for the wearing of the GMVK I have seen a few pictures of the kreuz in some strange manners.

As for my mystery man the search continues.

Wolfgang Rethmeier

Post by Wolfgang Rethmeier » 14 Jun 2022, 18:19

Hello IanE,

the picture shows the wearer Hermann Josef Milde, born on December 24th, 1890 in Bescheid District Trier/Rhine Province. Military Merit Cross on June 30th, 1918 as Vice Sergeant i.d.1./2.Unter-Alsäsisches Feld-Artillerie-Regiment No. 67.
Ordained a priest in Cologne in 1924 after the First World War. Later chaplain in Cologne-Delbrück from 1932 in Kessenich (Bonn)
He died on July 1, 1939 while descending from the Augsburger Hütte in Tyrol. He wanted to help others when an avalanche went down and was buried himself in the process.
In Kessenich, a street was named after him, the "Hermann-Milde-Straße".

Regards

Wolfgang

IanE

Post by IanE » 14 Jun 2022, 21:04

Wolfgang,

Thank you very much. The information you have provided is much more that I had even hoped for.

Regards,
Ian

Return to “Imperial Germany”