Soldier pic

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
Eightball

Soldier pic

Post by Eightball » 12 Jul 2003 10:39

I'll venture a guess we've all seen this picture, most of you have anyway. I'm wondering, does anyone have any additional info about this picture? I know it's supposedly been taken during the Battle of the Bulge, but does anyone know anymore? Who that guy is? Unit etc?
Would dearly appreciate any information that would help me out.

-EDIT, sorry about the size guys.-

MD650

Post by MD650 » 12 Jul 2003 11:18

I have a faint memory that I´ve read that the soldier belonged to a Volkgrenadiers unit. But I´m not sure.

Regards
:)

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 12 Jul 2003 11:20

Hi Eightball

The link below shows footage from the same real of film as your still. I'm sure Timo (Not wishing to pressure you my friend) will help when he see's this thread

http://www.thirdreichforum.com/viewtopi ... we&start=0

CHRISCHA
Financial supporter

Post by CHRISCHA » 12 Jul 2003 18:33

This is a picture taken during the German offensive begining on December 16th 1944 called 'Wacht am Rhein' (Watch on the Rhine). We allied nations know it as 'Battle of the Bulge'.
On 18th Dec' Kamfgruppe Hansen' (thoughts it was Kamfgruppe Knittel, Timo's Leibstandarte officer of intrest) attacked a reconnaisance convoy from 14th cavalry group on the road to Poteau. The Germans were succesful, and the GI's fled, leaving their vehicles.
Members of the Kampfgruppe helped themselves to equipment from these vehicles. This soldier wears a a cut down US poncho, and M43 US trousers (not shown in this photo).

He is not armed with a US Browning as is incorectly often thought, but a Belgian 9mm Browning pistole 640 (b), which was produced for the Whermacht (Also not shown in this photo, but in full picture).

This is one of a series of photos by a German photographer (Kreigsberichter) following the W-SS men.

Erik E
Financial supporter

Post by Erik E » 12 Jul 2003 19:56

Eightball:

He definately looks what we would call "Feltsvin" :D

Erik

Juha Hujanen
Financial supporter

Post by Juha Hujanen » 12 Jul 2003 20:23

His rank is SS-Schutze and he's MG-42 gunner.He served in 2nd Company,I./SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt 1.

Series of photos of him can be found in Paul Pallud-Battle of the Bulge.Then And Now.Truly excelent book,as all books of Pallud.

Regards/Juha

Juha Hujanen
Financial supporter

Post by Juha Hujanen » 12 Jul 2003 20:31

Oh and those photos are from staged session after the battle as so many "combat" photos are.During actual fighting you will rather grap your rifle than camera :wink:

Eightball

Post by Eightball » 12 Jul 2003 21:35

Erik E wrote:Eightball:

He definately looks what we would call "Feltsvin" :D

Erik

Hehehe, indeed. He looks to have been to hell and back a couple of times. ^^

Anyways, thanks for all the information. Let me try to sum things up a bit:

This man was in Kampfgruppe Hansen of the 2nd Company,I./SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt 1. He possesed the rank of SS-Schütze and was an MG-42 gunner. Here he is seen after a successfull attack on an Allied reconnaisance convy, with gear obtained from it. The picture is taken during the early days of what is know as the Battle of the Bulge.

That should sum up what you have provided so far, though do correct if something is wrong. CHRISCHA, you talk of a full picture of this soldier? Do you know where it could be vieved?

Thanks again for your help. Most grateful.

CHRISCHA
Financial supporter

Post by CHRISCHA » 12 Jul 2003 21:55

According to the conversation in the above link from Andy H his name is Walter Armbrusch.
There is a photo of him in a group shot on the last page of this link.
The photo you showed is merely the top half of the full picture. I have the whole photo in a couple of books, but I don't posses a scanner.

I'm sure Timo has a photo, and will post it when he reads this thread. If I can find one elsewhere I'll post here or PM you.

Regards.

Eightball

Post by Eightball » 12 Jul 2003 22:36

The guy with the cigarette looks like him, but it doesn't look like it's the same picture.

CHRISCHA
Financial supporter

Post by CHRISCHA » 12 Jul 2003 22:45

Yep, it is a different picture, but of the same man.
The picture you illustrated is just of him.

Eightball

Post by Eightball » 13 Jul 2003 00:27

I see. The summation till now goes:

This man was in Kampfgruppe Hansen of the 2nd Company,I./SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt 1. His name if Walter Armbrusch,and he possesed the rank of SS-Schütze as an MG-42 gunner. Here he is seen after a successfull attack on an Allied reconnaisance convy, with gear obtained from it. The picture is taken during the early days of what is know as the Battle of the Bulge.

Juha Hujanen
Financial supporter

Post by Juha Hujanen » 13 Jul 2003 10:23

Here's 2 more pics of that soldier.The American convoy was from 14th Cavalry Group from the 7th Armoured CCA.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Eightball

Post by Eightball » 13 Jul 2003 10:37

Thank you very much for the nice pictures, Juha. At the last one you can see the whole of him with his Belgian Browning 9mm.

Does anyone know what happened to him? (Timo?) ^^

kobold

Post by kobold » 14 Jul 2003 18:45

I'm sure he's the 3rd reich equivalent of the Marlboro man- he's always smoking, has male model looks, has a rugged appearance etc :lol:

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”