news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Discussions on other historical eras.
User avatar
Cult Icon
Member
Posts: 4331
Joined: 08 Apr 2014 19:00

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Cult Icon » 28 Jan 2023 06:00


ljadw
Member
Posts: 14455
Joined: 13 Jul 2009 17:50

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by ljadw » 28 Jan 2023 07:52

Tom Peters wrote:
28 Jan 2023 00:55
ljadw wrote:
27 Jan 2023 10:05
Tom Peters wrote:
27 Jan 2023 03:45
ljadw wrote:
26 Jan 2023 22:31

Why should we help what you call the good guys ? There are no good guys in international politics .
Why did the US help Europe when Hitler invaded ?

Mad Dog
1 US did not help Europe in 1939 and 1940 : it did not declare war on Germany when the Germans attacked the Netherlands and Belgium . If it was possible, US would have sold war material to Germany after 1939 .
2 LL started only in 1941
3 The reason for LL was not that Hitler was a bad guy but that the end of Cash and Carry would hurt US economy and thus also FDR .
4 Why did US not help the Jewish Germans who wanted to emigrate to the US ?
5 Why did US not help China but Japan after the rape of Nanking ?
6 US did help Salazar, Franco, Pinochet ,although these were not good guys for the liberals of DC .
6 Why did US not sanction Turkey after its invasion of Cyprus ?
7 Why did Reagan resume the export of US grain to the USSR after the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan ?
How many Americans died to liberate Belgium, for example ?

Think about that for a minute.

Mad Dog
You said that the US helped Europe when Hitler invaded and that is not correct .
It is also not correct to state that Hitler invaded Europe : he invaded 8 European countries:Poland,Norway ,Denmark, Belgium, the Netherlands, Yugoslavia and Greece and the USSR,but Europe is bigger than that .
And that 79 years ago Americans (and British and Canadians and Belgians ! ) died during the liberation of Belgium is irrelevant for the discussion about present American foreign policy .
Many more Soviet soldiers died during the liberation of Eastern and Central Europe ,but no one has said that this means that these countries had an obligation to the USSR .
It is the same for the US .
The generation that has seen the liberation of Belgium ,has passed away .
It is time to move on .

Tom Peters
Financial supporter
Posts: 1467
Joined: 04 Sep 2004 21:18
Location: Augusta, GA

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Tom Peters » 28 Jan 2023 22:51

ljadw wrote:
28 Jan 2023 07:52

You said that the US helped Europe when Hitler invaded and that is not correct .
Arms sales, lend lease, etc. After Hitler invaded, there ended up being a lot of dead Americans.

But hey, I guess there are no good state actors like you claims.
ljadw wrote:
28 Jan 2023 07:52
It is also not correct to state that Hitler invaded Europe : he invaded 8 European countries:Poland,Norway ,Denmark, Belgium, the Netherlands, Yugoslavia and Greece and the USSR,but Europe is bigger than that .
Pedantic much ?
ljadw wrote:
28 Jan 2023 07:52
And that 79 years ago Americans (and British and Canadians and Belgians ! ) died during the liberation of Belgium is irrelevant for the discussion about present American foreign policy .
Its entirely relevant to the claims you made earlier.

Mad Dog

Gooner1
Member
Posts: 2664
Joined: 06 Jan 2006 12:24
Location: London

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Gooner1 » 28 Jan 2023 23:40

https://news.yahoo.com/rheinmetall-eyes ... 43281.html
DUESSELDORF (Reuters) - German arms-maker Rheinmetall is ready to greatly boost the output of tank and artillery munitions to satisfy strong demand in Ukraine and the West, and may start producing HIMARS multiple rocket launchers in Germany, CEO Armin Papperger told Reuters.
He spoke days before Germany's defence industry bosses are due to meet new defence minister Boris Pistorius for the first time, though the exact date has yet to be announced.
With the meeting, Pistorius aims to kick off talks on how to speed up weapons procurement and boost ammunitions supplies in the long term after almost a year of arms donations to Ukraine has depleted the German military's stocks.
Rheinmetall makes a range of defence products but is probably most famous for manufacturing the 120mm gun of the Leopard 2 tank.
"We can produce 240,000 rounds of tank ammunition (120mm) per year, which is more than the entire world needs," Papperger said in an interview with Reuters interview.
The capacity for the production of 155mm artillery rounds can be ramped up to 450,000 to 500,000 per year, he added, which would make Rheinmetall the biggest producer for both kinds of ammunition.
In 2022, Rheinmetall made some 60,000 to 70,000 rounds each of tank and artillery shells, according to Papperger, who said production could be boosted immediately.
Demand for these munitions has soared since Russia's invasion of Ukraine last February, not only due to their massive use on the battlefield but also as Western militaries backfill their own stocks, bracing for what they see as a heightened threat from Moscow.
Papperger said a new production line for medium calibre ammunition, used by German-built Gepard anti-aircraft tanks in Ukraine for example, would go live by mid-year.
Germany has been trying for months to find new munitions for the Gepard that its own military had decomissioned in 2010.
That's nice.

Gooner1
Member
Posts: 2664
Joined: 06 Jan 2006 12:24
Location: London

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Gooner1 » 29 Jan 2023 01:53

Oh dear, the factory in Iran producing Shahed drones appears to be on fire


mezsat2
Member
Posts: 317
Joined: 05 Jun 2009 12:02

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by mezsat2 » 29 Jan 2023 03:00

Gooner1 wrote:
28 Jan 2023 23:40
https://news.yahoo.com/rheinmetall-eyes ... 43281.html
DUESSELDORF (Reuters) - German arms-maker Rheinmetall is ready to greatly boost the output of tank and artillery munitions to satisfy strong demand in Ukraine and the West, and may start producing HIMARS multiple rocket launchers in Germany, CEO Armin Papperger told Reuters.
He spoke days before Germany's defence industry bosses are due to meet new defence minister Boris Pistorius for the first time, though the exact date has yet to be announced.
With the meeting, Pistorius aims to kick off talks on how to speed up weapons procurement and boost ammunitions supplies in the long term after almost a year of arms donations to Ukraine has depleted the German military's stocks.
Rheinmetall makes a range of defence products but is probably most famous for manufacturing the 120mm gun of the Leopard 2 tank.
"We can produce 240,000 rounds of tank ammunition (120mm) per year, which is more than the entire world needs," Papperger said in an interview with Reuters interview.
The capacity for the production of 155mm artillery rounds can be ramped up to 450,000 to 500,000 per year, he added, which would make Rheinmetall the biggest producer for both kinds of ammunition.
In 2022, Rheinmetall made some 60,000 to 70,000 rounds each of tank and artillery shells, according to Papperger, who said production could be boosted immediately.
Demand for these munitions has soared since Russia's invasion of Ukraine last February, not only due to their massive use on the battlefield but also as Western militaries backfill their own stocks, bracing for what they see as a heightened threat from Moscow.
Papperger said a new production line for medium calibre ammunition, used by German-built Gepard anti-aircraft tanks in Ukraine for example, would go live by mid-year.
Germany has been trying for months to find new munitions for the Gepard that its own military had decomissioned in 2010.
That's nice.
Indeed, except is sounds like Rheinmetall wants the cash up front to start pumping out this ordnance. From NATO's perspective, there's almost no other option. General Dynamics in the US is at full tilt on 155 ammo, in particular, but they can't nearly keep up. They're ramping it up, but this will take years to show up on the battlefield. The Swiss have released a large quantity of ammo (including 35 mm for the Gepard). This will help in the short term.

User avatar
Cult Icon
Member
Posts: 4331
Joined: 08 Apr 2014 19:00

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Cult Icon » 29 Jan 2023 03:14

Wagner appears to have avoided Ivanivske and approached Chasiv Yar instead in order to block the T0504 to Bakhmut.

Image

mezsat2
Member
Posts: 317
Joined: 05 Jun 2009 12:02

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by mezsat2 » 29 Jan 2023 04:31

What would be Wagner's next logical operational move from here?

Tom Peters
Financial supporter
Posts: 1467
Joined: 04 Sep 2004 21:18
Location: Augusta, GA

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Tom Peters » 29 Jan 2023 05:06

Gooner1 wrote:
29 Jan 2023 01:53
Oh dear, the factory in Iran producing Shahed drones appears to be on fire

Accidents happen ! Did they let some mobiks into the factory ?

Mad Dog

ljadw
Member
Posts: 14455
Joined: 13 Jul 2009 17:50

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by ljadw » 29 Jan 2023 14:02

Tom Peters wrote:
28 Jan 2023 22:51
ljadw wrote:
28 Jan 2023 07:52

You said that the US helped Europe when Hitler invaded and that is not correct .
Arms sales, lend lease, etc. After Hitler invaded, there ended up being a lot of dead Americans.

But hey, I guess there are no good state actors like you claims.
ljadw wrote:
28 Jan 2023 07:52
It is also not correct to state that Hitler invaded Europe : he invaded 8 European countries:Poland,Norway ,Denmark, Belgium, the Netherlands, Yugoslavia and Greece and the USSR,but Europe is bigger than that .
Pedantic much ?
ljadw wrote:
28 Jan 2023 07:52
And that 79 years ago Americans (and British and Canadians and Belgians ! ) died during the liberation of Belgium is irrelevant for the discussion about present American foreign policy .
Its entirely relevant to the claims you made earlier.

Mad Dog
You can't say :79 years ago US (and other countries as the USSR ! ) liberated the parts of Europe that were occupied by Germany ,thus the Europeans must follow the American policy concerning Ukraine .
Saying this is the same as saying in 1979:34 years ago the Soviets have liberated a big part of Europe from the Germans, thus Europe must admit and support the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan .
What happens 79 years ago is irrelevant for what happens today .
The ONLY reason for Europeans to support the US policy concerning Ukraine is,if the Russian invasion ( not occupation as there is no chance for the Russians to do this ) is a threat for the European members of NATO. If it is not a threat for the European members of NATO (and there is no proof that the invasion is a threat ),it is thus also not a threat for the US and for Canada and there is no reason for them to intervene in this war,except that this war is a good occasion for the military-industrial complex and its agents on Capitol Hill to make a lot of money.
If I were an Ukrainian,I would take a gun to kill Russians who invaded my country, but,I am not an Ukrainian .Thus ....
And, don't tell me that this invasion is illegal :legality has no role in international politics .Turkey invaded Syria :must we help Syria? Iraq invaded Iran :must we help Iran ?Indonesia invaded Timor : did we help Timor ?
Etc,etc,.....

User avatar
Cult Icon
Member
Posts: 4331
Joined: 08 Apr 2014 19:00

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Cult Icon » 29 Jan 2023 14:16

https://vk.com/milinfolive?w=wall-123538639_3404414

"This time, "Military Acceptance" is sent to the country's main artillery training center, the Mikhailovsky Military Artillery Academy. Established in 1820 after understanding the wars with Napoleon, the academy for 200 years remains the main forge of artillery personnel of the country. Moreover, very effective personnel: according to the head of the Academy, the share of fire damage to the enemy by artillery forces in a special military operation by the beginning of 2023 approached the figure of 80 percent."

80% (figure similar to the Italian front in WW2), if this is close to the truth than it is lower than I would have expected. The manner in which the Russian forces has been fighting makes it look more like 95%!

Gooner1
Member
Posts: 2664
Joined: 06 Jan 2006 12:24
Location: London

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Gooner1 » 29 Jan 2023 14:57

mezsat2 wrote:
29 Jan 2023 03:00

Indeed, except is sounds like Rheinmetall wants the cash up front to start pumping out this ordnance. From NATO's perspective, there's almost no other option. General Dynamics in the US is at full tilt on 155 ammo, in particular, but they can't nearly keep up. They're ramping it up, but this will take years to show up on the battlefield. The Swiss have released a large quantity of ammo (including 35 mm for the Gepard). This will help in the short term.
I think most producers needs firm orders before ramping up production. Germany will no doubt dither and delay before eventually giving the orders. BAE, Nexter, Nammo, Leonardo et al are probably all in the same boat - waiting for the orders. I think that the Polish, Czech and Slovak ammunition manufacturers have been a bit more proactive and have already increased production.

Still I don't think supply is too much of an issue at the moment; Finland just announced a massive aid package of which ammunition, perhaps in the old Soviet calibres, is bound to a significant component; the US has decided to move its 300k stockpile of 155mm in Israel to Ukraine; Australia has just opened a state of the art ammunition plant, whilst South Korea and probably others seem quite happy to export 155mm to the US to allow US stock to go to Ukraine.

Russia's firepower advantage is a diminishing one.

Tom Peters
Financial supporter
Posts: 1467
Joined: 04 Sep 2004 21:18
Location: Augusta, GA

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Tom Peters » 29 Jan 2023 19:23

ljadw wrote:
29 Jan 2023 14:02

You can't say :79 years ago US (and other countries as the USSR ! ) liberated the parts of Europe that were occupied by Germany ,thus the Europeans must follow the American policy concerning Ukraine .
I never claimed that and what you say is something entirely irrelevant to our thread.
ljadw wrote:
29 Jan 2023 14:02
The ONLY reason for Europeans to support the US policy concerning Ukraine is,if the Russian invasion ( not occupation as there is no chance for the Russians to do this ) is a threat for the European members of NATO.
OK, well the Europeans as a whole support US policy on UKR, therefore, by your own logic, they should support UKR.

Thanks for agreeing with me.

Mad Dog

Tom Peters
Financial supporter
Posts: 1467
Joined: 04 Sep 2004 21:18
Location: Augusta, GA

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by Tom Peters » 29 Jan 2023 19:24

Cult Icon wrote:
29 Jan 2023 14:16
https://vk.com/milinfolive?w=wall-123538639_3404414

"This time, "Military Acceptance" is sent to the country's main artillery training center, the Mikhailovsky Military Artillery Academy. Established in 1820 after understanding the wars with Napoleon, the academy for 200 years remains the main forge of artillery personnel of the country. Moreover, very effective personnel: according to the head of the Academy, the share of fire damage to the enemy by artillery forces in a special military operation by the beginning of 2023 approached the figure of 80 percent."

80% (figure similar to the Italian front in WW2), if this is close to the truth than it is lower than I would have expected. The manner in which the Russian forces has been fighting makes it look more like 95%!
....according to the RU.

Kind of big caveat there, comrade ?

Care to give us any information or support why you think 95% is the magic # ?

Mad Dog

ljadw
Member
Posts: 14455
Joined: 13 Jul 2009 17:50

Re: news from Russo-Ukraine Front

Post by ljadw » 29 Jan 2023 19:29

The Europeans as a whole do not support US policy on UKR, notwithstanding the pressure from DC : it takes them a year to decide to send an unknown number of tanks ,tanks in an unknown condition,to Ukraine and they are unwilling to say when these tanks will arrive .The UK ,with a Conservative Woodrow Wilson as PM , is not Europe .
A Russian victory (which is almost excluded ) will have the same result as a Russian defeat .

Return to “Other eras”