Information wanted on a Kriegsmarine NCO

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
timobeanie

Information wanted on a Kriegsmarine NCO

Post by timobeanie » 29 Sep 2022, 23:37

Information wanted on the following:

Jakob Hugo Arnold was born in Amoneburg on 9th August 1896 and lived at Gartenfeldstrasse 30, Ingelheim am Rheine. He was married to Elizabetha (née Weitzel).

He was an Oberbootsmannmaat in the Kreigsmarine. He was posted to the the island of Guernsey in the British Channels in either 1941 or 1942. He then went to France.

He died in Rennes on 16th October 1942 from the skin disease Dermatitis and his file number of his death record in Berlin at the time was I. 10/6738/42

I have a photograph album that was owned by Jakob Arnold when he was in Guernsey, and I am researching the photos for a short video that I am putting together in honour and memory of Jakob.

I have attached a document dated 22nd January 1943 with details of his death (this document is with his photograph album).

I wish to find out more details about him - such as when he joined the Kreigsmarine, where his body was laid to rest and if he has any surviving relatives (children) who I may be able to contact to tell them about his life in Guernsey.

I live in Guernsey.

Many thanks.

Scan0029.JPGScan0030.JPGSent from my iPad
Attachments
Scan0030.jpg
Scan0029.jpg

hucks216

Re: Information wanted on a Kriegsmarine NCO

Post by hucks216 » 30 Sep 2022, 14:26

This is his casualty card. It looks like he served at the Hafenkommandant Guernsey and the Feldpost Number give these returns for the Kriegsmarine:

(1.2.1941-11.7.1941) Marine-Bezirks-Zoll-Kommissariat St. Helier (auf Guernsey) Abteilungsfuhrer
(15.7.1942-24.1.1943) Marine-Bezirks-Zoll-Kommissariat (G) Abteilungsfuhrer Guernsey dann Kommandant d. Seeverteidigung Kanalinseln
und Marine-Bezirks-Zoll-Kommissariat (G) Abteilungsfuhrer Guernsey dann Kommandant d. Seeverteidigung Kanalinseln und Marine-Bezirks-Zoll-Kommissariat (G) Kanalinseln

As you know his date of birth and death you might be able to get a copy of his service details from the Bundesarchiv in Berlin-Reinickendorf:

https://www.bundesarchiv.de/EN/Content/ ... en-en.html
Attachments
49307_b_563_gb322_0340-00952.jpg
49307_b_563_gb322_0340-00951.jpg

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 30 Sep 2022, 19:11

Hi Timobeanie,

allow one correction. The cause of death was not a skin disease Dermatitis, but as stated in the death certificate
a colon inflammation (Dickdarmentzündung, although they have a typo in the certificate, they wrote Deckdarmentzündung).

In the death card provided by hucks216 the cause of death is more specific:
schwere ulceröse bolitis (severe ulcerative colitis) and
Kreislaufschwäche (circulatory weakness).

The grave location is stated as : Ostfriedhof Rennes/Frankreich.

Strange thing is, I couldn´t find him at Volksbund grave search online.
Maybe you can contact the authorities, if he is listed there:

https://de.frwiki.wiki/wiki/Cimeti%C3%A ... t_(Rennes)

https://kriegsgraeberstaetten.volksbund ... hof/rennes

Best regards
Armin
"Ihr verfluchten Racker, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" Friedrich, II. in der Schlacht von Kolin am 18.Juni 1757 zu seinen zurückgehenden Grenadieren.

timobeanie

Post by timobeanie » 02 Oct 2022, 01:03

Hi Armin

Thank you for the excellent information.

I have tried to search the Rennes east cemetery online but his name does not come up; there is a section of the cemetery with German graves.

I will email those two addresses you gave me. Is it possible that he was interred somewhere else after the War?

It would be so good to have a photo of his actual grave.

I will send you a link to thee final video when I put it on my YouTube Channel.

Thank you

Tim. (Guernsey).

hucks216

Post by hucks216 » 02 Oct 2022, 10:24

This is his birth registration document (from Ancestry.co.uk):

mainz-kastel_1313_1896-00171.jpg

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”