Help With Translating World War 1 Era Items

Need help with translating WW1, Inter-War or WW2 related documents or information?
ZManfred

Help With Translating World War 1 Era Items

Post by ZManfred » 10 Feb 2023, 12:40

I have just registered today so I apologize if I do not know any standard procedures.

After some primitive attempts of my own to translate I was recommended this site by a friend.

I recently came into ownership of this German First World War portrait photo/postcard along with a Militärpass and two separate documents which I presume are discharge papers or service record as they are dated after WW1. I know this is not the time period of "Axis" and if this is the wrong place to submit this query I apologize.
All of these items were reportedly attributed to the same man in the photo on the postcard but I am not completely certain. I suspect the postcard might be a separate person. I can share the photo of the man if anyone is interested. The Militärpass has many pages and quite a good bit of hand written material so I will just post the cover in the hopes of identifying the person at least. I hope the photos are clear enough and if not I can rectify them. I know this is a lot to look at and to ask for suddenly so I do not mean to come across as demanding or inconsiderate. Therefore, any assistance at all in any form would be incredibly appreciated.

Postcard:
postcard resized.jpg
Militärpass:
militarpass resize.jpg
Document 1 with Datum 30/1/20:
discharge paper 1 with dates resize .jpg
Document 2:
discharge paper 2 resize.jpg

GregSingh

Re: Help With Translating World War 1 Era Items

Post by GregSingh » 11 Feb 2023, 05:47

:welcome:

On the postcard I read:

Wesel den 3.Juli 1916

Lieber Schwägerin

Dabei eine Pfoto-
grafiekarte von
deinen Schwager
Klöpper Joh.
Hoffentlich hast
du Freude
daran

Feldpostkarte

An Fräulein
Theresia Frieling
wohnhaft Brüggemann
Velen- Waldvelen
Kreis Borken
Westfalen

ZManfred

Post by ZManfred » 11 Feb 2023, 14:16

Thank you very much GregSingh for the welcoming and taking a look at and transcribing the postcard for me! You have no idea how grateful I am and how much help you have been. Now there is just the militarpass and other documents that hopefully can be transcribed some time.

Hohlladung

Post by Hohlladung » 12 Feb 2023, 20:50

Hi,

I continue:

Coverpage:

Zweitschrift
Militärpaß
des
Musk.(etier)
Anton, Heinrich
Grünewig
Jahresklasse: 1915

Page 1:

H. Grünewig diente vom 10.4.18 ab bei nebenstehender Komp.(anie)
1. Komp. R.I.R. 99 (Reserve Infanterie Regiment 99)
Am 26.1.19 infolge Demobilmachung nach Warendorf, BzK. (Bezirk) Münster entlassen.

Führung: Gut
Strafen: keine
Mitgemachte Gefechte: (followed by a printed list)
F.d.R. (Für die Richtigkeit)
a. B. (auf Befehl)

signed by a Major A...

Page 2:

G. war vom 21.7.19 - 30.919 beim Bezirkskommando Münsetr eingestellt.
Am 30.9.19 nach Warendorf Bez. Kdo. Münster entlassen.
Führung: Gut
Strafen: Keine

Best regards
Armin
"Ihr verfluchten Racker, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?" Friedrich, II. in der Schlacht von Kolin am 18.Juni 1757 zu seinen zurückgehenden Grenadieren.

ZManfred

Post by ZManfred » 13 Feb 2023, 13:40

Thank you so very much Armin for transcribing the rest of the materials posted. You are the greatest and I am indebted by your generosity! Now I can have them translated in order to better preserve their stories and share them with others thanks to both you and GregSingh.

For clarity's sake I have included the front of the postcard which features the nice portrait of the man attributed to these materials. Hopefully now I can better determine this claim. I might post some of the interior of the militäpaß for further clues if anyone is interested. For instance, the pass details an Iron Cross 2nd Class being awarded and the photo of the man is wearing the ribbon of one. However, I believe the date in the book is later than the postcard by a few months. Thanks again to you both. I am very glad I joined this site and I will be sure to continue to use it in the near future as I have plenty of other materials I would love to know more about and better preserve.
WWI German Soldier Postcard resize.jpg

Return to “Translation help: Breaking the Sound Barrier”