Foreign Waffen-SS leaders

Discussions on all aspects of the SS and Polizei. Hosted by Andrey.
User avatar
Jérôme
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: 19 Jul 2003 08:23
Location: Normandy.

Re: Foreign Waffen-SS leaders

Post by Jérôme » 23 Jul 2003 17:48

philmil wrote:Waffen-Oberführer
Ladislaus Deak v Szentimre 7.1.1891 - 3.5.1945

Waffen-Standartenführer;
Lorant Bodolay v Bodola 6.4.1896 -
Magyar Dezsö 27.1.1898 -
Magyar Ödön 1.10.1896 -
Adalbert Peinlich Edler v Immenburg 10.7.1897 - 1978
Andor Podjhradaszky v Nemespodhragy 6.11.1896 - 1962 London
Jenö Temesvari v Galgoc 17.3.1894 - 4.3.1981 USA
Josef Vecsey 23.6.1897 -

Waffen-Sturmbannführer;
Alfreds Linins 8.10.1901
Paul Suurkivi 30.12.1914
August Vöhma 24.12.1912
Boris Voogas 10.11.1897
Jacques-Maurice Doriot 26.9.1898
Janis Ruks 22.11.1906


Philmil


Hi PHILMIL and Requin Marteau
Thanks for your informations.

I found other names

DARNAND, Joseph (19/03/1897 in Coligny (Ain) and shot by fired squad
10/05/1945 in Chatillon (Seine)
He was Sturmbannführer and very famous in France because he was menber of the french government and chief of the french "Milice"
Ostubaf GRAVELIS, Voldemars (05/07/1900-09/05/1945) (Latvian)

REGARDS
ROUILLE.

User avatar
Bjørn from Norway
In memoriam
Posts: 1091
Joined: 29 Apr 2002 20:38
Location: Bodø¸, Northern Norway

Post by Bjørn from Norway » 25 Jul 2003 10:09

Hello!
Some corrections: the rank stated on Jonas Lie is his "Allgemeine SS" rank, from Germanske SS Norge. His W-SS rank was SS Hauptsturmführer. Arthur Quist was SS-Stubaf. The highest ranking W-SS rank by any Norwegian, was Egil Hoel, who reached the rank of SS Ostubaf.

It is not possible to mix up the A-SS ranks with the W-SS ones, it will give a totally wrong picture at last.

B.

User avatar
Bjørn from Norway
In memoriam
Posts: 1091
Joined: 29 Apr 2002 20:38
Location: Bodø¸, Northern Norway

Post by Bjørn from Norway » 25 Jul 2003 10:13

BTW, Jonas Lies correct A-SS rank was "SS-standartfører", equal to "SS Standartenführer". Forgot it in the previous posting.

B.

thomas
Member
Posts: 891
Joined: 31 Mar 2002 08:42
Location: Basel, Switzerland

Post by thomas » 25 Jul 2003 10:35

Dear Rouill

Sorry, i made a little bit confusion. The name is Corrodi, the death date i do not know. I think to know that he died in Basel.

Franz Riedweg was expelled from Switzerland. That means he lost his swiss nationality, like Benno Schäppi, which was also an SS-man. But rank i do not know.

Greetings

thomas

User avatar
jarek_g
Member
Posts: 275
Joined: 21 Jul 2003 15:47
Location: Warsaw, Poland

Estonians & more

Post by jarek_g » 25 Jul 2003 10:48

Hi, guys
several of names:

a) Estonian Waffenführer der SS:

Brigadeführer
Johannes Soodla (14.01.1897 - 26.05.1965)

Standartenführer
Henn-Ants Kurg (17.10.1898 - 28.12.1943)
Juhan Tuling (12.04.1897 - 23.10.1946)

Obersturmbannführer
Alfred Luts (10.08.1899 - 6.08.1991)
Ain-Ervin Mere (22.02.1903 - 5.04.1969)
Alfons Rebane (24.06.1908 - 8.03.1976)
Paul Vent (11.02.1900 - ??.11.1944)
Juhan Vermet (24.02.1897 - 5.04.1966)

Sturmbannführer
Julius Edor (14.06.1904 - 29.04.1985)
Johannes Koort (26.12.1900 - 16.08.1976)
Paul Maitla (27.03.1913 - 10.05.1945)
Udo Parrest (21.04.1908 - 1.03.1944)
Riho Piirsalu (30.09.1905 - 1.10.1984)
Aleksander Sobolev (22.11.1891 - 17.10.1944)
Paul Suurkivi (30.12.1914 - 16.08.1959)
August Vöhma (24.12.1912 - 8.04.1984)
Boris Voogas (10.11.1897 - 12.08.1973)

Hauptsturmführer
Eduard Hints (7.06.1901 - 16.12.1974)
Evald Leepere (11.06.1907 - 17.03.1975)
Arvo Lehari (24.12.1913 - 25.01.1993)
Theodor Liht (27.12.1905 - 10.05.1945)
Nigul Maanemaa (30.07.1904 - ??.??.1948)
Erich Palk (4.08.1913 - 15.04.1985)
Voldemar Pärlin (28.03.1904 - 12.09.1944)
Arnold Purre (27.10.1902 - 16.09.1986)
Georg Sooden (2.12.1904 - 28.07.1944)
Lembit Vaher (2.11.1914 - lived in New York in 1994)
Ferdinand Vösu (1.12.09 - 6.01.1987)

b) Waffen officers of Estonian Borderguards Regiments (1. - 6.and Ersatz ), from Juni 1944 a part of Waffen SS:

Obersturmbannführer
Hugo Jaanson (Rgt. 2) (31.03.1894 - 24.05.1959)
Paul Lilleleht (Rgt. 6) (5.02.1893 - 11.08.1955)
Mart Kaerma (Rgt. 3) (? - ?)
Johannes Raudmäe (Rgt. 5) (22.04.1891 - 29.12.1973)
Augusts Tomander (Ersatz Rgt.) (8.09.1893 - 29.06.1985)
Augusts Vask (Ersatz Rgt.) (? - ?)
Juhan Vermet (Rgt. 2) (24.02.1897 - 5.04.1966)

Sturmbannführer
Raimond - Ottomar Hindpere (Rgt. 1) (21.12.1895 - 17.09.1944)
Boris Leeman (Rgt. 5) (? - ?)
Paul Lilleleht (Rgt. 3) (5.02.1893 - 11.08.1955)
Valter Pedak (Rgt. 4) (29.07.1895 - 27.12.1947)
Juhan Purga (Rgt. 3) (1.06.1896 - fall 1945)
Jaan Tamm (Rgt. 1) (6.07.1894 - 8.07.1977)

Hauptsturmführer
Eduard Ausmees (Rgt. 1) (18.08.1902 - 16.03.1983)
Arnold-Albert Jakustant (Rgt. 5) (8.11.1905 - 17.09.1944)
Aani Juhani (Rgt. 3) (27.03.1900 - 25.04.1978)
Elmar Kolu (Rgt. 3) (16.07.1907 - 23.08.1950)
Meinhard Leetma (Rgt. 2) (17.11.1903 - 31.10.1980)
Mihkel Martsoo (Rgt. 6) (20.05.1902 - 31.08.1989)
Juhan Määr (Rgt. 5) (20.01.1903 - 27.07.1969)
Meinhard Niinepuu (Rgt. 2) (5.04.1904 - 7.10.1975)
Robert-Johannes Pärlist (Rgt. 6) (28.02.1898 - 11.08.1944)
Martin Piirsalu (Ersatz Rgt.) (20.11.1902 - 4.10.1981)
Elmar-Johannes Sillaots (Rgt. 2) (2.06.1907 - 25.12.1977)
Aleksander Veelma (Rgt. 1) (21.03.1900 - 10.01.1990)

Obersturmführer
Aleksander Tannia (Rgt. 5) (6.02.1908 - 24.02.1947)
Ferdiand Valner (Rgt. 5) (17.06.1905 - 7.03.1965)


c) About BOGOSANOW - recte ROGOSAROFF or ROGOSAROW not Russian but Bulgarian
Bulgarian Waffenführer der SS :

Waffen Grenadier Regiment der SS (bulgarische Nr. 1)
13.11.1944 - beginning of forming
.12.1944 - Waffen Grenadier Regiment der SS 59. (bulgarische Nr. 1)
20.04.1945 - SS-Panzer Zerstörer Regiment (bulgarische)
10.05.1945 - capitulation before Americans POW Camp Bad Ischl (250 man)

CO from 17.11.1944 Waffen-Oberfüher der SS Ivan Rogozarow (germ. Rogosarow), former minister of Labor and Chief in Staff of Home Labor Service (like as Arbeistsdienst in Germany) KIA 9.05.1945

Chieff of Staff - SS-Sturmbannführer Paul Brilling, a German spoke Bulgarian, suicide 8.05.1945

I Bn. - Waffen-Obersturmbannfüher der SS Georgij Malkow , former CoS 2. Inf. Div. (shot in Sofia`s prison 29.09.1945)
Waffen-Hauptsturmfüher der SS ? Bogorow, (from 7.05.45, MIA 7/8.05.45)

II Bn. - Waffen-Hauptsturmfüher der SS Cwetan Markow, (germ. Zwetan)

Pz. Jg. Bn. (16 x 7,5 cm anti tank guns, 2 x 8,8 cm anti aicraft guns) - Waffen- Hauptsturmfüher der SS ? Lebibow

San. Unit - Waffen-Sturmbannfüher der SS Dr Luka Bilarski (? - ??.??.1993)

d) About Rodionow:
real name Gil Vladimir V., Rodionow this his pseudo - “nomme de guerre” (born 18.07.1906 - heavily wounded 5.05.1944, died 14.05.1944)

e) About Kaminski
Kaminski Bronislav V., born 16.06.1899 in Vitebsk (Byelorus - not 1896 in Poznan / Posen), died 28.08.1944, but In official documents Waffen SS figures as date of death 4.10.1944.

Bestreg.
Jarek

User avatar
Jérôme
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: 19 Jul 2003 08:23
Location: Normandy.

Re: Foreign Waffen-SS leaders

Post by Jérôme » 25 Jul 2003 11:23

jarek_g wrote:Hi, guys
several of names:

a) Estonian Waffenführer der SS:

Brigadeführer
Johannes Soodla (14.01.1897 - 26.05.1965)

Standartenführer
Henn-Ants Kurg (17.10.1898 - 28.12.1943)
Juhan Tuling (12.04.1897 - 23.10.1946)

Obersturmbannführer
Alfred Luts (10.08.1899 - 6.08.1991)
Ain-Ervin Mere (22.02.1903 - 5.04.1969)
Alfons Rebane (24.06.1908 - 8.03.1976)
Paul Vent (11.02.1900 - ??.11.1944)
Juhan Vermet (24.02.1897 - 5.04.1966)

Sturmbannführer
Julius Edor (14.06.1904 - 29.04.1985)
Johannes Koort (26.12.1900 - 16.08.1976)
Paul Maitla (27.03.1913 - 10.05.1945)
Udo Parrest (21.04.1908 - 1.03.1944)
Riho Piirsalu (30.09.1905 - 1.10.1984)
Aleksander Sobolev (22.11.1891 - 17.10.1944)
Paul Suurkivi (30.12.1914 - 16.08.1959)
August Vöhma (24.12.1912 - 8.04.1984)
Boris Voogas (10.11.1897 - 12.08.1973)

Hauptsturmführer
Eduard Hints (7.06.1901 - 16.12.1974)
Evald Leepere (11.06.1907 - 17.03.1975)
Arvo Lehari (24.12.1913 - 25.01.1993)
Theodor Liht (27.12.1905 - 10.05.1945)
Nigul Maanemaa (30.07.1904 - ??.??.1948)
Erich Palk (4.08.1913 - 15.04.1985)
Voldemar Pärlin (28.03.1904 - 12.09.1944)
Arnold Purre (27.10.1902 - 16.09.1986)
Georg Sooden (2.12.1904 - 28.07.1944)
Lembit Vaher (2.11.1914 - lived in New York in 1994)
Ferdinand Vösu (1.12.09 - 6.01.1987)

b) Waffen officers of Estonian Borderguards Regiments (1. - 6.and Ersatz ), from Juni 1944 a part of Waffen SS:

Obersturmbannführer
Hugo Jaanson (Rgt. 2) (31.03.1894 - 24.05.1959)
Paul Lilleleht (Rgt. 6) (5.02.1893 - 11.08.1955)
Mart Kaerma (Rgt. 3) (? - ?)
Johannes Raudmäe (Rgt. 5) (22.04.1891 - 29.12.1973)
Augusts Tomander (Ersatz Rgt.) (8.09.1893 - 29.06.1985)
Augusts Vask (Ersatz Rgt.) (? - ?)
Juhan Vermet (Rgt. 2) (24.02.1897 - 5.04.1966)

Sturmbannführer
Raimond - Ottomar Hindpere (Rgt. 1) (21.12.1895 - 17.09.1944)
Boris Leeman (Rgt. 5) (? - ?)
Paul Lilleleht (Rgt. 3) (5.02.1893 - 11.08.1955)
Valter Pedak (Rgt. 4) (29.07.1895 - 27.12.1947)
Juhan Purga (Rgt. 3) (1.06.1896 - fall 1945)
Jaan Tamm (Rgt. 1) (6.07.1894 - 8.07.1977)

Hauptsturmführer
Eduard Ausmees (Rgt. 1) (18.08.1902 - 16.03.1983)
Arnold-Albert Jakustant (Rgt. 5) (8.11.1905 - 17.09.1944)
Aani Juhani (Rgt. 3) (27.03.1900 - 25.04.1978)
Elmar Kolu (Rgt. 3) (16.07.1907 - 23.08.1950)
Meinhard Leetma (Rgt. 2) (17.11.1903 - 31.10.1980)
Mihkel Martsoo (Rgt. 6) (20.05.1902 - 31.08.1989)
Juhan Määr (Rgt. 5) (20.01.1903 - 27.07.1969)
Meinhard Niinepuu (Rgt. 2) (5.04.1904 - 7.10.1975)
Robert-Johannes Pärlist (Rgt. 6) (28.02.1898 - 11.08.1944)
Martin Piirsalu (Ersatz Rgt.) (20.11.1902 - 4.10.1981)
Elmar-Johannes Sillaots (Rgt. 2) (2.06.1907 - 25.12.1977)
Aleksander Veelma (Rgt. 1) (21.03.1900 - 10.01.1990)

Obersturmführer
Aleksander Tannia (Rgt. 5) (6.02.1908 - 24.02.1947)
Ferdiand Valner (Rgt. 5) (17.06.1905 - 7.03.1965)


c) About BOGOSANOW - recte ROGOSAROFF or ROGOSAROW not Russian but Bulgarian
Bulgarian Waffenführer der SS :

Waffen Grenadier Regiment der SS (bulgarische Nr. 1)
13.11.1944 - beginning of forming
.12.1944 - Waffen Grenadier Regiment der SS 59. (bulgarische Nr. 1)
20.04.1945 - SS-Panzer Zerstörer Regiment (bulgarische)
10.05.1945 - capitulation before Americans POW Camp Bad Ischl (250 man)

CO from 17.11.1944 Waffen-Oberfüher der SS Ivan Rogozarow (germ. Rogosarow), former minister of Labor and Chief in Staff of Home Labor Service (like as Arbeistsdienst in Germany) KIA 9.05.1945

Chieff of Staff - SS-Sturmbannführer Paul Brilling, a German spoke Bulgarian, suicide 8.05.1945

I Bn. - Waffen-Obersturmbannfüher der SS Georgij Malkow , former CoS 2. Inf. Div. (shot in Sofia`s prison 29.09.1945)
Waffen-Hauptsturmfüher der SS ? Bogorow, (from 7.05.45, MIA 7/8.05.45)

II Bn. - Waffen-Hauptsturmfüher der SS Cwetan Markow, (germ. Zwetan)

Pz. Jg. Bn. (16 x 7,5 cm anti tank guns, 2 x 8,8 cm anti aicraft guns) - Waffen- Hauptsturmfüher der SS ? Lebibow

San. Unit - Waffen-Sturmbannfüher der SS Dr Luka Bilarski (? - ??.??.1993)

d) About Rodionow:
real name Gil Vladimir V., Rodionow this his pseudo - “nomme de guerre” (born 18.07.1906 - heavily wounded 5.05.1944, died 14.05.1944)

e) About Kaminski
Kaminski Bronislav V., born 16.06.1899 in Vitebsk (Byelorus - not 1896 in Poznan / Posen), died 28.08.1944, but In official documents Waffen SS figures as date of death 4.10.1944.

Bestreg.
Jarek



Hi, Bjorn, Karek and Thomas
Thanks for your research
I'll send a new list in a few days with all these informations on the forum.
please everybody to grow this list
Regards
J.Rouillé.

User avatar
Bjørn from Norway
In memoriam
Posts: 1091
Joined: 29 Apr 2002 20:38
Location: Bodø¸, Northern Norway

Post by Bjørn from Norway » 25 Jul 2003 17:43

Dear mr Rouillè and/or moderator!
As a second thought; why not make this list counting just all above rank SS Hstuf, or at least make some guidelines.

I can not really see the point in a listing of Ustuf´s etc, what is more important; many of the lower officer ranks are still alive.
In many countries, those who served in W-SS were criminalized, and got sentenced. Therefor, I know many who, even if proud of serving in Waffen SS, certainly not would approve their names put online this way. Actually, it is a way of outing people.

The names of officers already mentioned in published sources, would cause no problem. But I have a feeling that quite "unknown to the public" names might appear. Could even be illegal.

This posting is meant in a most friendly way, and just to get some opinions.

B.

User avatar
Jérôme
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: 19 Jul 2003 08:23
Location: Normandy.

RE:BJORN

Post by Jérôme » 25 Jul 2003 18:37

Bjørn from Norway wrote:Dear mr Rouillè and/or moderator!
As a second thought; why not make this list counting just all above rank SS Hstuf, or at least make some guidelines.

I can not really see the point in a listing of Ustuf´s etc, what is more important; many of the lower officer ranks are still alive.
In many countries, those who served in W-SS were criminalized, and got sentenced. Therefor, I know many who, even if proud of serving in Waffen SS, certainly not would approve their names put online this way. Actually, it is a way of outing people.

The names of officers already mentioned in published sources, would cause no problem. But I have a feeling that quite "unknown to the public" names might appear. Could even be illegal.

This posting is meant in a most friendly way, and just to get some opinions.

B.


Hi, Bjorn
Very interesting mail. I believe that if you are afraid when you give a name of ex-SS-Soldier, you could do a mention of your sources. There are so many books about the Waffen-SS, and the authors are not in jail because they write names; date of birth/Dead and life ... in every country you can find these informations in books without problem.
I don't want to do of this list a way of outing people.
It's not my aim. I don't want to criminalize the end of their life, and certainly not to apologyze the third Reich.
Each person has to be careful when giving a name, I can't be responsible of E-mail adressed to mine.
Regards
ROUILLE.

Martin Månsson
Financial supporter
Posts: 1023
Joined: 09 Mar 2002 11:59
Location: Sweden

Post by Martin Månsson » 25 Jul 2003 22:36

Björn and others,

Jonas Lie became W-SS Sturmbannführer (I've photo of him with that rank) He's listed in the SS-DAL as SS-Oberführer. Sverre Riisnaes became SS-Standartenführer according to SS-DAL Oktober 1944.
The list of Swedich officers is correct as Simon and Daniel wrote. Kurt Lundin never graduated Tölz so I assume he ended as SS-Junker or Standartenjunker.

Dr. Franz Riedweg reached the rank as SS-Obersturmbannführer, born Swiss but became German citizen, married the daughter of von Blomberg.

Best
Martin

Panzermahn
Member
Posts: 3631
Joined: 13 Jul 2002 03:51
Location: Malaysia

Post by Panzermahn » 26 Jul 2003 14:05

You are forgetting

Standartenfuhrer Haj-Amin El-Husseini, spiritual patron of the 13th SS Handschar division

User avatar
Ebusitanus
Member
Posts: 496
Joined: 12 Mar 2002 18:12

Post by Ebusitanus » 26 Jul 2003 15:01

SS-Obersturmbannführer Miguel Ezquerra (Spain)

User avatar
Bjørn from Norway
In memoriam
Posts: 1091
Joined: 29 Apr 2002 20:38
Location: Bodø¸, Northern Norway

Post by Bjørn from Norway » 26 Jul 2003 17:24

Hello!
Martin: "Jonas Lie became W-SS Sturmbannführer (I've photo of him with that rank) He's listed in the SS-DAL as SS-Oberführer. Sverre Riisnaes became SS-Standartenführer according to SS-DAL Oktober 1944"

Interesting, I only knew that Lie was Stubaf d. Res. I did not know that he used the rank in real life. True, he was listed as Oberfhr. The Riisnæs rank is the one of A SS, he was SS Sturmmann (!) in the W SS.

Rouillé: "There are so many books about the Waffen-SS, and the authors are not in jail because they write names; date of birth/Dead and life ... in every country you can find these informations in books without problem"

Yes, the books you mention, will certainly have been approved by the actual ex-SS men before published. Then it is 100% OK. In Norway at least, it would be legally wrong to publish names of sentenced men/women without their approval and knowledge. Even in the epic "Fra Finland til Kaukasus", written by the former Skibatallion commander, the names are disguised as "Hans A." or "Olaf L."
I asked two friends yesterday, who were Ustuf and Ostufs, if they would like their name published, and they promptly said "no".

I do however see your point, and if noone else have second thoughts, I will accept that 100% as a democrat.

B.

User avatar
Jérôme
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: 19 Jul 2003 08:23
Location: Normandy.

Foreign Waffen-SS leaders

Post by Jérôme » 26 Jul 2003 19:56

Ebusitanus wrote:SS-Obersturmbannführer Miguel Ezquerra (Spain)


Hi, Thanks for the info
but do you know his date of birth/death and in which unit he served.
Thanks for the help.
Regards
ROUILLE.

User avatar
Jérôme
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: 19 Jul 2003 08:23
Location: Normandy.

Foreign Waffen-SS leaders

Post by Jérôme » 26 Jul 2003 20:02

panzermahn wrote:You are forgetting

Standartenfuhrer Haj-Amin El-Husseini, spiritual patron of the 13th SS Handschar division

Hi, I don't know him, is he like Harun-El Raschid (HINTERSATZ, Wilhelm)
born 26/05/1886) a german being muslin. Could you tell me his Dates of birth/Death.
Thanks
ROUILLE.

User avatar
Bjørn from Norway
In memoriam
Posts: 1091
Joined: 29 Apr 2002 20:38
Location: Bodø¸, Northern Norway

Post by Bjørn from Norway » 27 Jul 2003 10:34

Haj-Amin El-Husseini, b. 1897(1895?) in Jerusalem. Studies in Cairo. Particiated in WW1 as Turkish artillery officer. Org. the Arabic Executive Committee in 1929. Helps out enlisting men for W SS. Moves to Lebanon in the 60s. Dies 4.7.74 in Beirut.

Return to “The Phil Nix SS & Polizei section”