Whati if : Balkans

Discussions on alternate history, including events up to 20 years before today. Hosted by Terry Duncan.
IAR80

Whati if : Balkans

Post by IAR80 » 15 Mar 2002, 23:52

What if Romania tried to group Greece, Yugoslavia maybe even Bulgaria in one alliance and fend off the Nazis, maybe even counting on some British support?
Could this alliance spoil Hitlers' plans in any way?

Scott Smith

What if - Balkans

Post by Scott Smith » 16 Mar 2002, 03:58

NO, Germany's interest in the Balkans were Romanian oil and nonferrous metals, and safe trade-access to these. The British knew this of course and attempted to control the region, thus forcing German invasion. Even in the unlikely event that any serious resistance could have been mounted there was always the Luftwaffe. Yugoslavia capitulated in days, not in small part due to the Luftwaffe pounding the capital, Belgrade, with a death toll of 17 thousand. A British coup designed to isolate German access to strategic markets had been a bad move for them. During the war partisans operated and tied-down a lot of Axis troops, but as long as the German trains got through it was not that much of a problem.

The 1941 German Balkan campaign...
CLICK! Image

Victor

What ifs

Post by Victor » 16 Mar 2002, 16:12

What if Romania tried to group Greece, Yugoslavia maybe even Bulgaria in one alliance and fend off the Nazis, maybe even counting on some British support? Could this alliance spoil Hitlers' plans in any way?

Th British weren’t in a position to help themselves and you think they could support such a large front you are proposing? Btw, did it ever occur to you that Bulgaria had practically no interest to support any anti-Nazi coalition. Remember that they participated in the invasion of Greece?
The Germans weren’t alone in their attack. The Hungarians and Bulgarians joined them. I can’t possibly see how the alliance you are proposing could have done something to stop the Germans. Maybe the fact that Romania would have disappeared might have made it more difficult for the Germans to invade the SU and the war would have been shorter.

Geppistoly Katona

Post by Geppistoly Katona » 18 Mar 2002, 19:26

We all know if RUmania would try and pull a stunt like that, Hungary with the Backing of German troops would have stomped them flat and thrown in a Puppet regime loyal to Hitler and the Third reich fast than you could say Krauts!!!
Ismétlopuska ember-Ferfi

Victor

Post by Victor » 19 Mar 2002, 20:44

Don't you mean Germany with Hungarian back-up?

Geppistoly Katona

Post by Geppistoly Katona » 20 Mar 2002, 17:14

No Hungarians would either:

1. Told by Germany that they wanted them to invade Rumania [ which in 1941 would have been quite easy ] and Hungary would have happy to do so, and Hungarian soldiers would, i believe it is fair to say, be honored to do so.

2. In an effort to divert a conflict with Soviet Union volunteer to invade and occupy Rumania with their Mobile Army, and leave only Border Guard and such troops home to Defend. So that they may have a vsin chance to stay out of Conflict with the Soviet Union.
Ismétlopuska ember-Ferfi

Geppistoly Katona

Post by Geppistoly Katona » 20 Mar 2002, 17:16

And if you haven't noticed, the Germans tended to leave loyal foreign army's that Knew the region better to do the front line buissness [ ie the invasion of Jugoslavia in 1941, Italian and Hungarian troops saw the most action ]
Ismétlopuska ember-Ferfi

IAR80

re

Post by IAR80 » 20 Mar 2002, 22:37

and the 1944-1945 campaign where romanians were told to do just that. Well observed, Gepp.

Geppistoly Katona

Post by Geppistoly Katona » 20 Mar 2002, 22:48

Yeah but did they do very good at it....
Ismétlopuska ember-Ferfi

Victor

Balkans

Post by Victor » 23 Mar 2002, 13:23

I don’t know exactly if the number of Hungarian , Italian and Bulgarian troops outnumbered the Germans (2nd and 12th Army I think), but they sure were not as important in the offensive. The German mechanized forces and the Luftwaffe were the ones that crippled the Yugoslav, Greek and British forces.

Geppistoly Katona

Post by Geppistoly Katona » 25 Mar 2002, 05:55

Your wrong, a clear mile ahead of any German troops was the Hungarian 1st Parachute battalion. They were throughout the campaign ahead of the Germans...Are you saying they weren't as important as German infantry???
Ismétlopuska ember-Ferfi

Rommel

Post by Rommel » 25 Mar 2002, 23:05

In your opinion Mr.Geppistoly who do u think it was the most important ally for the Germans...Hungary or Romania....or to put it in other way...Hungarian pusta or Romanian Oil...anyway too bad Germany was interested in our countries.What I am trying to say is stop undermining the role of Romanians in WW2!

Geppistoly Katona

Post by Geppistoly Katona » 26 Mar 2002, 02:14

I have seen you've been listening to too much Rumanian Propaganda....And Hungary also produced a major amount of oil from the Balaton region, what say you now, Hungary 2 Rumania 1...And Hungary [ thanks to the Stupid Corrupt Rumanian Government of the time, and still Today they are corrupt and evil ] had a better more organized Military...I hope your not listening to the Rumanians here, because they spout just as much biased bull as i do...
Ismétlopuska ember-Ferfi

Geppistoly Katona

Post by Geppistoly Katona » 26 Mar 2002, 02:16

And everything i have said was not based on ECONOMICALLY WHO WAS THE BEST ALLY, that would probably be Rumania, but Hungary was clkose behind...BUT I HAVE ONLY SAID THAT HUNGARY WAS MORE LOYAL AND WAS A BETTER ALLY MILITARY WISE THAN RUMANIA WHOM HAD NO ELITE FIGHTING FORCES that i know of...And certainly nothing close to the Szent Laszlo Division...
Ismétlopuska ember-Ferfi

Rommel

Post by Rommel » 26 Mar 2002, 02:49

you re talking asa if Szent Laszlo Division could have won the war by itself...I don t argue with loyalty as Romania did switch sizes...frankly I would have prefered to lose(win) with Germany- see my if topic- But nevertheless in 1944 45 Romanians conquered for the second time Budapest (remember 1919)

Return to “What if”