Berghof Obersalzberg

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
Geoff Walden

Re: Berghof Obersalzberg

Post by Geoff Walden » 08 Sep 2021, 02:41

Thanks for posting those photos, Helly - a great selection!
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

Mike Tal

Post by Mike Tal » 08 Sep 2021, 14:42

What struck me about the pictures of Untersbergzimmer and its balcony is that they seem to have unusually low ceiling.

headwest

Post by headwest » 08 Sep 2021, 15:27

Oh good stuff! thanks so much for the winter pics, and the others posted!

looks like they would or could get a LOT of snow at times. Little things also interest me, like all the footsteps in the snow in front of the house on the very steep hill, at first i wondered if people were sled riding but the road was right there so I wondered if guards would cut up the hill to the house or down to the guard house instead of walking all the way around

great stuff and thanks!

Linkagain

Post by Linkagain » 08 Sep 2021, 18:27

IS it true that AH rode a eleavator to the top of mountain/Berghof but quit when he became airsick?

Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker » 08 Sep 2021, 20:51

Could you all verify for me the last couple of post that had photos. I'm love the history of the Obersalzberg and the Berghof, but not as knowledgeable as most of you.
This has to do with the photos that Geoff posted on the 5th. Post number 6423-last photo in the group showing the three arched balcony. Says "Hoffmann, "Hitler, Abseits vom Alltag" " on the bottom. This is the front of the Berghoff top floor. In looking at the blueprint of the untersbergzimmer Geoff also posted, I can't make out where the door to the balcony was, looks like middle with the two windows on either side?

Also really like the two photos of the balcony above Hilter's and Eva's rooms facing the Turken. Post number 6429 and 6431. Helly Angel posted those on the 5th. These two from the National Archives, which their website mentions you have to visit and look at the collection in person at Washington DC. My question to Geoff and Helly Angel and everyone else: In these Eva photograph collections, I wonder if there are other photos showing the interior of both Haus Wachenfeld and the later Berghof that we haven't seen yet. Many photographs of kitchen, great room/hall, a few entry photos, bedrooms and so on are available online or here on this forum, but how many more different photos showing other interior areas of the building exist in the NA files?

Might be worth a trip just to look through the entire collection. I'm sure a few folks here have made the trip to the NA to do this? Were there alot of interior photos stashed away in the files yet to be shown?

Thanks for all the info, really enjoy it.

CPB

Post by CPB » 09 Sep 2021, 12:27

Here are a couple of interesting photos. One is I think from within the Berghof – maybe looking out from Hitler's study? The other [showing Ingrid Bergman and co]....I am not sure where this was taken.
Attachments
2.jpeg
1.jpeg
1.jpeg (66.38 KiB) Viewed 1800 times

Br. James

Post by Br. James » 09 Sep 2021, 13:25

Wonderful stuff, Chris -- that's Jack Benny there with Ingrid Bergman and Luther Adler, and it looks like that might be Bing Crosby standing there on the left!

Br. James

Max

Post by Max » 09 Sep 2021, 16:28

Br. James wrote:
09 Sep 2021, 13:25
Wonderful stuff, Chris -- that's Jack Benny there with Ingrid Bergman and Luther Adler, and it looks like that might be Bing Crosby standing there on the left!

Br. James
Larry Adler
and not
Der Bingle
Greetings from the Wide Brown.

headwest

Post by headwest » 09 Sep 2021, 19:15

i was wondering if anyone knows or if the plans called for what type of wood the framing was done in, or the roof joists you can see/beams etc

I know we know alot of the finish material, but alot of the exposed wood beams, joists etc look really nice as well. In the US Pine is used alot for framing but I imagine they used some other type of wood there, and stronger.

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 10 Sep 2021, 20:22

New postcard I received today, titled "Eingang" or entrance.
It is the main entrance to the house. dated October 24, 1943.
Attachments
Las mas nuevas de septiembre 20210002.jpg

Geoff Walden

Post by Geoff Walden » 12 Sep 2021, 23:47

Duane Becker wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 20:51
Could you all verify for me the last couple of post that had photos. I'm love the history of the Obersalzberg and the Berghof, but not as knowledgeable as most of you.
This has to do with the photos that Geoff posted on the 5th. Post number 6423-last photo in the group showing the three arched balcony. Says "Hoffmann, "Hitler, Abseits vom Alltag" " on the bottom. This is the front of the Berghoff top floor. In looking at the blueprint of the untersbergzimmer Geoff also posted, I can't make out where the door to the balcony was, looks like middle with the two windows on either side?
That's right, Duane.
Duane Becker wrote:
08 Sep 2021, 20:51
Also really like the two photos of the balcony above Hilter's and Eva's rooms facing the Turken. Post number 6429 and 6431. Helly Angel posted those on the 5th. These two from the National Archives, which their website mentions you have to visit and look at the collection in person at Washington DC. My question to Geoff and Helly Angel and everyone else: In these Eva photograph collections, I wonder if there are other photos showing the interior of both Haus Wachenfeld and the later Berghof that we haven't seen yet. Many photographs of kitchen, great room/hall, a few entry photos, bedrooms and so on are available online or here on this forum, but how many more different photos showing other interior areas of the building exist in the NA files?
Might be worth a trip just to look through the entire collection. I'm sure a few folks here have made the trip to the NA to do this? Were there alot of interior photos stashed away in the files yet to be shown?
I have visited the NARA to look through these photo albums and other collections. Actually, for the EB albums, you look at a set of reprint albums in the Reading Room, not the originals. But the reprints are of completely acceptable quality - I doubt if the originals are any better.
But you don't have to visit there - the NARA EB album collection is online at https://catalog.archives.gov/search?q=* ... Sort%20asc . While these files are quite large and most of the photos enlarge well, I do have to say that I don't think they did a good job in scanning some of these, because the quality is not up to what I remember seeing in the Reading Room.
I haven't finished looking through all the albums online, but I honestly don't remember seeing any "hidden gems" as far as interior photos go, when I viewed the reprint albums at the NARA. Nothing like AH's bedroom or the "Geli Room" or anything like that. Not that I recall ... The majority of the interior photos in that collection have been shown elsewhere.
Geoff
"Ordnung ist das halbe Leben" - I live in the other half.
http://www.thirdreichruins.com

Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker » 13 Sep 2021, 01:05

Thanks Geoff, I emailed the NA last year when I learned Braun's photo collection was in the NA. Email came back saying they have nothing on the Eva Braun collection online, I'd have to visit. Glad your around with your knowledge. Thanks again for answering!

Helly Angel

Post by Helly Angel » 13 Sep 2021, 04:59

Duane,

It is as Geoff says, I was reviewing almost the entire collection of Eva's photos in NARA, I have found interesting things, like her trip to Pompeii, on the coast of Naples, you know the city destroyed by the volcano ... Eva walking there! It is interesting, but there is nothing "intimate" about the Berghof, nothing more than the postcards and photos that already circulate.

Suddenly in Walter Frentz's photo book you can see - it happened to me - color photos of moments and people that I knew, but had not seen in that presentation. These three are the best books on the subject.
Attachments
Libros Berghof.jpg

Hans1906
Banned

Post by Hans1906 » 13 Sep 2021, 12:57

Suddenly in Walter Frentz's photo book you can see - it happened to me - color photos of moments and people that I knew, but had not seen in that presentation. These three are the best books on the subject.
Good afternoon Helly,
the book, you were referring to is "Zeitgeschichte in Farbe - Hitlers Berghof 1928-1945" (Arndt Verlag) ? :?

Walter Frentz Collection https://www.walter-frentz-collection.de

Hans
The paradise of the successful lends itself perfectly to a hell for the unsuccessful. (Bertold Brecht on Hollywood)

Duane Becker

Post by Duane Becker » 13 Sep 2021, 15:07

Thanks Helly Angel, yes I have the three books you show here. Nice thing to me about the Berghof photos even with the people in them, is that I look past the folks to the walls behind or the furniture, trying to get a better understand of the décor.

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”