Sul Campo award

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
User avatar
Miki
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: 26 Apr 2003 17:07
Location: Split,Croatia

Sul Campo award

Post by Miki » 03 Aug 2003 15:31

Can anyone tell me for what accomplish this award was given in war.I know that a croatian legion unit under italian command on eastern front was given this award in 1942.If someone have a picture or link to a picture please post it.
Thanks in advance!

User avatar
USAF1986
Member
Posts: 3438
Joined: 21 Mar 2002 01:50
Location: Louisiana, USA

Post by USAF1986 » 03 Aug 2003 18:44

Is this possibly what you are looking for: the Italian Army Croat Legion Badge? It was apparently worn by the approximate 800 members of the Croat Legion raised in the winter of 1941-1942 and trained at Riva for service in Russia. Per Orders, Decorations, Medals and Badges of the Third Reich – Volume 2 (R. James Publishing, Mountain View, California, 1973) by David Littlejohn and C.M. Dodkins:

“In March 1942, it was attached to the Italian 8th Army as the 'Legione Croata Autotransportabile 88' (Croat Motorized Legion 88). It served, in Italian uniform and under Italian command, on the Don front but it was virtually annihilated at Kasanskaya (approximately halfway between Stalingrad and Voronezh).”

The badge had “Legione Croata” in Italian and "Hrvatska Legjia” in Serbo-Croat inscribed at the top and the mottos “Per l’Italia alala” and “Za Dom spremni” in the respective languages diagonally across the center. The Italian and Croat shields are joined by climbing ropes symbolic of the fact that the Croat Legion served under the Italian Alpine Corps.

Regards,
Shawn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Miki
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: 26 Apr 2003 17:07
Location: Split,Croatia

Post by Miki » 03 Aug 2003 21:20

USAF1986 wrote:Is this possibly what you are looking for: the Italian Army Croat Legion Badge? It was apparently worn by the approximate 800 members of the Croat Legion raised in the winter of 1941-1942 and trained at Riva for service in Russia. Per Orders, Decorations, Medals and Badges of the Third Reich – Volume 2 (R. James Publishing, Mountain View, California, 1973) by David Littlejohn and C.M. Dodkins:

“In March 1942, it was attached to the Italian 8th Army as the 'Legione Croata Autotransportabile 88' (Croat Motorized Legion 88). It served, in Italian uniform and under Italian command, on the Don front but it was virtually annihilated at Kasanskaya (approximately halfway between Stalingrad and Voronezh).”

The badge had “Legione Croata” in Italian and "Hrvatska Legjia” in Serbo-Croat inscribed at the top and the mottos “Per l’Italia alala” and “Za Dom spremni” in the respective languages diagonally across the center. The Italian and Croat shields are joined by climbing ropes symbolic of the fact that the Croat Legion served under the Italian Alpine Corps.

Regards,
Shawn
Thank you Shawn for information,but this is a badge that legion allready have when they go to eastern front.Sul campo was given to legionars in august of 42. In that period legion was allready in eastern front,and they allready been in few batlle.
Miki

User avatar
Dan E. Moe
Member
Posts: 901
Joined: 23 Dec 2002 15:15
Location: Trondheim, Norway

Post by Dan E. Moe » 04 Aug 2003 11:48

do you have a picture of this Sul Capo award?

Is it some kind of CSIR medal?

dan

User avatar
Miki
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: 26 Apr 2003 17:07
Location: Split,Croatia

Post by Miki » 05 Aug 2003 12:24

frontkjemper wrote:do you have a picture of this Sul Capo award?

Is it some kind of CSIR medal?

dan
I myself looking for a picture of Sul Campo.I don't know what kind of award,medal...is it,last that I find out that legion was given award after battle so I presumed that it can be some award for courage???

Miki

valsente
Member
Posts: 336
Joined: 13 Jan 2003 00:45
Location: Milano

Post by valsente » 06 Aug 2003 08:06

In Italian " sul campo" means " on the battlefield" and this sentence was used to indicate that the award has been given just "sul campo" at the end of the battle and not issued by burocratic ways after a lot of time.

User avatar
Miki
Member
Posts: 54
Joined: 26 Apr 2003 17:07
Location: Split,Croatia

Post by Miki » 06 Aug 2003 11:42

In all my info that I was able to find award was named sul campo,so probably it will never be revealed what was the real name of award that legion got.
Thank you Valsente for info, your answer cleared why my search through web was futile.

Miki

valsente
Member
Posts: 336
Joined: 13 Jan 2003 00:45
Location: Milano

Post by valsente » 06 Aug 2003 12:06

Miki wrote:In all my info that I was able to find award was named sul campo,so probably it will never be revealed what was the real name of award that legion got.
Thank you Valsente for info, your answer cleared why my search through web was futile.

Miki
Hi Miki, kako si?
I was born In Spalato, just a lot of years ago unfortunately, and I'will come there in September. Dovijenia (?)

Pitomnik
Member
Posts: 2
Joined: 14 Jan 2010 18:02

Re: Sul Campo award

Post by Pitomnik » 07 Apr 2013 07:16

Sorry for up old thread !
But i want show some nice ground dug badge !
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Axis Awards”