What is everyone reading on WW2?

Discussions on books and other reference material on the WW1, Inter-War or WW2 as well as the authors. Hosted by Andy H.
mikerock

Post by mikerock » 27 Nov 2003, 08:25

"With the Jocks: A Soldier's Struggle for Europe 1944-45" by Peter White who served with the King's Own Scottish Borderers in Northern Europe.

--Mike

Dan W.

Post by Dan W. » 03 Jan 2004, 05:20

Just finished reading "Lieutenant Ramsey's War"

What an incredible story! A young officer, arrived in the Phillipines only months earlier, goes on to become the most wanted man in the Phillipines, with the chief of the Kempa-tei personally leading raids for this man. Many, if not most, of his fellow rebel leaders are captured and executed. He narrowly escapes with his life time after time, and his efforts at organizing the resistance has him traveling all over the Phillipines, under the most trying circumstances. Once, when he suffers appendicitis and has to be operated on in the jungle, the Doctor, who bought morphine on the black market, finds out he was ripped off and sold water. They take out his appendix, without any morphine!

Just started this one:

General

Post by General » 03 Jan 2004, 16:16

I finished Dutch translation of Hell's Highway: Chronicle of the 101st Airborne Division in the Holland campaign by George E. Koskimaki. This book tells the story of the American paratroopers around Hell's Highway during Operation Market Garden.

At the moment I am reading a Dutch version of From Leningrad to Berlin; Dutch Volunteers in the German Waffen-SS by Perry Pierik.

stevezz1

Post by stevezz1 » 03 Jan 2004, 19:31

Hi All,

I am just finishing 'In Deadly Combat' by Bidermann.

Next one will be 'Rising '44 - The Battle fo Warsaw' by Norman Davies.

Steve.

Locke

Post by Locke » 03 Jan 2004, 22:56

Beevor: Stalingrad
(I finally got this book after all the troubles....)
Altough I should be reading Crime and Punishment by Dostoevsky for school....:-/

regards,
Polona

Post by 1812 » 09 Jan 2004, 15:47

I just finished 'The Life and Death of Adolf Hitler'. Now I am a few chapters into 'Paris 1919: six months that changed the world'.

theblueofnoon

Post by theblueofnoon » 12 Jan 2004, 09:11

Well maybe a bit of the subject but right now I am reading Mark Twains-Mysterious Stranger for about the 20th time or so(In my opinion the best book EVER).thanks-adam

Martin Månsson

Post by Martin Månsson » 12 Jan 2004, 21:00

The great terror by Robert Conquest

Best
Martin

asturwaffen

Post by asturwaffen » 12 Jan 2004, 22:00

I am reading the autobiography of Otto Skorzeny, this written in two books.

Vive peligrosamente. Otto Skornzeny
Luchamos y perdimos. Otto Skorzeny

I do not know title in the english version.

Regards

Richard Murphy

Post by Richard Murphy » 12 Jan 2004, 22:45

I seem to have gotten myself tied in knots with some new and old acquisitions;
Joseph Goebbels;The Man who Created Hitler by Viktor Reimann
The Drift to War 1922-1939 by Richard Lamb
News from No Man's Land-Reporting the World by John Simpson (Christmas present from my very perceptive partner, bless her!)
Stalingrad by Antony Beevor (Thanks to book token from Mother-in-Law and currently £5.00 off at Ottackars!)

Just finished Tom Clancy's Red Rabbit and It Never Snows in September by Robert J. Kershaw, both of which were excellent.

Regards from the Park,

Rich

David Brown

What is everyone reading?

Post by David Brown » 13 Jan 2004, 01:19

I've just re-read SS1 - THE UNLIKELY DEATH OF HEINRICH HIMMLER by Hugh Thomas. Absolutely fascinating and very, very, plausible. Colour Sergeant Major Austin, the gruff voiced Yorkshireman who was paraded in front of the film camera's as the man who identified the captured Himmler stated...

"I wrapped him in a couple of blankets, I put two of our army camouflage nets around him and tied him up with telephone wires. I put the parcel on the back of a lorry and drove off. I had to dig the grave myself - no one will ever know where he is buried"

The fact is that CSM Austin couldn't drive.

Definitely worth a read. Hugh Thomas by the way is a Forensic Pathologist who examined Rudolf Hess at Spandau and noted that the Hess he examined did not have the scars, notable bullet entrance and exit wounds he had obtained during World War One. "THE MURDER OF RUDOLF HESS" caused uproar.

He believed Hess was murdered. If it was suicide it was the world first horizontal hanging according to Thomas. His second book on the subject, "HESS: A TALE OF TWO MURDERS" started a six month long Police enquiry by New Scotland Yard. It's findings were immediately suppressed.

I made a start on reading "THE LAST KAISER - Wlliam The Impetuous" by Giles MacDonogh but I have put it down for the moment as I have just got my hands on a copy of "THE GATES OF JANUS" by Ian Brady - the Moors Murderer. Very grim but so far a fascinating insight into the minds and thinking of serial killers, of which he is the most notorious in the annals of British Crime.

Dave

Big Vern

Post by Big Vern » 16 Jan 2004, 15:41

I have just finished reading.
Hitler's Elite.
The story of the LEIBSTANDARTE SS. J.Lucas M.Cooper
I found it very interesting and would recommend this book to anyone.

Big Vern

Post by Big Vern » 16 Jan 2004, 15:45

Forgot also just started...
I SURVIVED told by Godfrey Lias.
True story of a surviver of Stalingrad.....Russian POW camp.....Escape........Joining the Russian Army........Making it to Berlin...........Re Arrest.............Labour Camps......and finally freedom.
It sounds great.
Anyone read it ?

stevezz1

Post by stevezz1 » 16 Jan 2004, 23:10

Hi Vern,

Where did you buy 'I Survived' from.
I s it hardback.

Steve.

Bob Williams

Post by Bob Williams » 17 Jan 2004, 02:59

Just finished "The Last Nazis-SS Werewolf Guerilla Resistance in Europe 1944-1947" by Perry Biddiscombe. An intersesting read about the disjointed,disorganized & disfunctional German resistance movement. I feel it would have been a better read if the author hadn't shared his bias as often as he did. The werewolves were fanatical and deluded yes,but how often does he have to touch on that fact? Like I said,an interesting book if it wasn't for the biased content.

Cheers! Bob

Return to “Books & other Reference Material”