Saving Private Ryan

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
AirborneAllTheWay

Post by AirborneAllTheWay » 13 Aug 2002, 01:14

Hell yer... its a superb book!!!

Aufklarung

Re: Getting back on topic...

Post by Aufklarung » 13 Aug 2002, 02:23

MJP wrote:
I find it interesting that Hollywood would go through all the trouble of transforming a T-34 into such a nice looking Tiger;
Hallo
If I'n not mistaken, I believe Bovington Tank Museum did the work on Tiger 34. They used to have pics of the conversion on their web site. Apparently the Mantlet is from a Centurion!! Quite a hodge-podge tank :D

MJP

Post by MJP » 13 Aug 2002, 04:49

It's one of the only 2 conversions like that I am aware of. The T-34 - Tiger conversion was for the movie "Kelly's Heros". I thought the SPR Tiger was much better though.

Speaking of conversions... did anyone catch the HBO series "Band of Brothers"? There were some excellent conversions in that series, especially the Stugs and the Jagdpather. Very well done.

Lawrence Tandy

Post by Lawrence Tandy » 13 Aug 2002, 08:01

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I saw a panther too in the same episode as the Jagdpanther and stug.

LT

AirborneAllTheWay

Post by AirborneAllTheWay » 13 Aug 2002, 11:32

Over here in the uk a reenatment unit has built a tiger on a t-54 chassis, it looks really good. Will try a find a website with it on.

Aufklarung

Post by Aufklarung » 13 Aug 2002, 14:51

AirborneAllTheWay wrote:Over here in the uk a reenatment unit has built a tiger on a t-54 chassis, it looks really good. Will try a find a website with it on.
That I would like to see. When you find it please let us know. Thanx. :D

I wonder who did the Kellys Heroes conversion?? I recall it was way too "turret forward" on the hull. Great movie tho'! I know a Major who called 120 soldiers into an auditorium for "debriefing" and proceeded to let them watch it init's entirety. "I love this movie" was his debriefing point.
On a course I once "had" to watch "Odd Angry Shot" as their patrol work was the object of our lesson. So, you see how movies can serve a purpose; even if their content may not always be accurate. 8)

MJP

Post by MJP » 13 Aug 2002, 22:49

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I saw a panther too in the same episode as the Jagdpanther and stug.
Yes, I believe it was episode 3. , The Jagdpanther reappeared in a later episode during the Market Garden operation.

One thing regarding the Jagdpanther ... It had no business being in either of those episodes. Jagdpanthers were organized in heavy TD battalions (ie 694) and belonged to armored corps. Although Jagdpathers did take part in the Normandy fighting they were all facing the British in the Caan area. There were no true armored divisions facing the US during the invasion. The closest thing to an armored division opposing the US during the early part of the invasion was the 17 SS Panzergrenadier division. Although the 17th SS had an assault gun battalion there was not a single Jagdpather in it's inventory. The Panther didn't belong in that early Normandy episode either. All the Panthers in Normandy during that period of time were facing the British. The only thing those US troops would have been fighting were Stugs and SPATs like the Marder.

Once again Hollywood has changed history for the sake of having "cool" looking vehicles to blow up.

Aufklarung

Bovington Tiger

Post by Aufklarung » 14 Aug 2002, 03:44

Supposedly this is the Bovington Tank Museum in the UK converting a T 34 to a Tiger E for SPR. Seems to look a bit flimsy in the arse :lol:
Attachments
bovtigerconv.jpg
SPR Tiger
bovtigerconv.jpg (67.41 KiB) Viewed 1336 times

Lawrence Tandy

Post by Lawrence Tandy » 14 Aug 2002, 07:01

MJP wrote:
Yes, I believe it was episode 3. , The Jagdpanther reappeared in a later episode during the Market Garden operation.

One thing regarding the Jagdpanther ... It had no business being in either of those episodes. Jagdpanthers were organized in heavy TD battalions (ie 694) and belonged to armored corps. Although Jagdpathers did take part in the Normandy fighting they were all facing the British in the Caan area. There were no true armored divisions facing the US during the invasion. The closest thing to an armored division opposing the US during the early part of the invasion was the 17 SS Panzergrenadier division. Although the 17th SS had an assault gun battalion there was not a single Jagdpather in it's inventory. The Panther didn't belong in that early Normandy episode either. All the Panthers in Normandy during that period of time were facing the British. The only thing those US troops would have been fighting were Stugs and SPATs like the Marder.

Once again Hollywood has changed history for the sake of having "cool" looking vehicles to blow up.
Yes, same for the tiger in SPR. At that stage heavy armor was almost exclusively facing the Brits and Canadians. Still, it did look cool.

LT

Aufklarung

Post by Aufklarung » 14 Aug 2002, 17:36

I recall the primary reason I went to see SPR was to check if the "Tiger" I saw in the adverts was real! Nope. but good effort. Was there not a Marder in SPR and BOB?

Lawrence Tandy

Post by Lawrence Tandy » 14 Aug 2002, 23:44

There was a marder in SPR but not sure about BOB. BTW, anyone know when band of brothers will be hitting dvd?

LT

Aufklarung

Post by Aufklarung » 15 Aug 2002, 04:16

A friend of a friend told me...............well, you know, officially I've heard nothing so for now I'll just be careful with my VHS tapes :lol:

Can you imagine what it would be like on DVD!! I can't wait.

BOB the book is very good too. Seems to be on sale in Canadian bookstores lately.

AirborneAllTheWay

Post by AirborneAllTheWay » 15 Aug 2002, 04:20

You guys in North America get BOB on 19th November on DVD & VHS, we in the UK have to wait... Wouldnt mind but I managed to miss every single episode as I had to work... But atleast I will get to watch them all in one go!!! :mrgreen:

Aufklarung

Post by Aufklarung » 15 Aug 2002, 04:25

Thanx for that. I marked it on my calender :D Ooohh you are so gonna like it.

Lawrence Tandy

Post by Lawrence Tandy » 15 Aug 2002, 07:10

Yes, thanks alot. Was beginning to wonder if it would ever make it onto dvd.

LT

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”