Plans for Colonization?

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
Sannhet

Plans for Colonization?

Post by Sannhet » 17 Aug 2003, 03:13

Were there ever plans for the re-colonization of Germany's old colonies that Britain and France took after WWI (Cameroon, Togo, Namibia, Somalia, Part of New Guinea i think), or were there plans for new ones?

I mean, assuming that Moscow fell before winter '41, then Britain sued for Peace before the US entered the war, WWII in Europe would have been effectively over. And what then? Is there any evidence to suggest that the Nazis planned to re-colonize any of the forementioned or seek out new colonies?

If there isn't any such evidence, I would merely ask what everyone's opinion is of whether or not the Third Reich would have tried to retake it's old colonies or get new one's if it had been victorious in WWII.

Casey at the Bat

Post by Casey at the Bat » 17 Aug 2003, 03:23

Following the capitulation of France, Hitler, hoping to end the war, offered terms to England, part of which included England being allowed to keep all her colonies and territories, and Germany regaining those it had lost, as well, of course, keeping its dominance in continental Europe.

Phil D.

Post by Phil D. » 17 Aug 2003, 05:31

I posted a question on this forum a while back on something called the Reich Colonial League, which was a government run entity (I assume) meant to get back former colonies. Therefore, I suppose there definatly were plans to recolonize former German territories. He is the thread:http://www.thirdreichforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12020. Hope this helps!

Phil

alsaco

NSDAP and former german colonies

Post by alsaco » 17 Aug 2003, 23:52

I do not remember having seen any official nazi document asking for the return of german colonies

Considering the war from the classical point of view, French and British have in their propaganda considered this possibility, and managed some counter-actions to keep the black population on their side.

Allies have particularly exploited Hitler's declarations on the inferiority of non Aryans

On the German side, there was also a group defending the colonial concept, behind a strong navy.

But the racial concept of the german Volk, and of the superior german aryans, did concentrate the war objectives on Lebensraùm, reestablishment of a german racial nation, and hierarchy of peoples present in the european continent.

The colonial problem does not appear important in Mein Kampf. The nazi Germany did not have time to develop ideas on the subject. More important were the german minorities in central and eastern Europe

Moreover, the colonial concept is linked with trade. And Germany did not between 1933 and 1939 have the possibility to build up a doctrine in this specific field of activity.

I would be very pleased to obtain references or sources on official declarations on the return of former german colonies. Until now, I have only some sporadic private initiatives, often nearer to help for former german settled abroad than to colonial investment in territorial power.

Casey at the Bat

Post by Casey at the Bat » 18 Aug 2003, 03:03

Alsaco,

I grabbed my information from Roderick Stackelberg’s excellent book, “Hitler’s Germany,” 1999, page 185. Stackelberg writes:

“On 19 July [1940] Hitler again called on the British to end the war on the basis of a global share-out. Britain would retain its imperial possessions in return for conceding continental supremacy to Germany. Hitler’s only territorial demand outside of Europe was the restoration of the colonies lost in the First World War.”

Enter Churchill: “No deal.”

Stackelberg continues:

“On 16 July Hitler issued orders for the preparation of ‘Operation Sea Lion,’ the projected invasion of Britain, with a target date of 15 September.”

Hitler presumably made his offer in a broadcast speech.

Casey.

Hurricane

Post by Hurricane » 18 Aug 2003, 09:54

Nazi Germany's plan was to get Lebensraum out of Eastern Europe, i.e. Poland and Russia. That meant there was no particular need for colonisation plans outside of Europe. Getting back lost colonies was probably more a matter of pride and show of force than actual or believed needs.

alsaco

Post by alsaco » 18 Aug 2003, 23:19

To Casey at the Bat

Thank you.

If you consider dates, the offer was made after the order See-Löwe.
Discussion if any are probably the peace offer end of May, throught Sweden, linked with the "Stop" in the panzer offensive on the Aa Canal.

I will see if I can find a speech by Hitler around July 19th.

Casey at the Bat

Post by Casey at the Bat » 18 Aug 2003, 23:45

alsaco,

Yes, I noticed the dates, too, but included the Sea Lion info inferring that, as indicated in the text, an offer had been made prior to 16 July 1940.

Unfortunately, Stackelberg doesn't give details on any earlier offer, though he does allude to the famous pause before Dunkirk.

Is that what you were referring to above?

Incidentally, I never really thought about it, but only a few days later, 22 July 1940, Hitler was already ordering plans for an attack on Russia.

Breathtaking, if not manic, opportunism.

Casey.

consultant10

Re: Plans for Colonization?

Post by consultant10 » 06 Apr 2008, 19:49

Historically; like most European countries; the Brandenburg Africa Co. (1680-1701) made attempts at establishing a trading fort on the coast of what is now Ghana. This was in competition with: Africans; Arabs and Europeans who were present before Germany. Initially efforts failed. Further serious attempts did not take place until after German unification circa 1871. This was furthered by the departure of segments of the German population to other regions of the world. Africa was seen as a source of economic gain as well as resources for the unified nation. Germany wanted a "place in the sun" like other European countries. This developed into a colonial movement.

Following the "loss" of colonies after WWI there emerged: organizations; people and leaders from former colonies who felt that justice was not served by being denied colonies: e.g. Society for German Colonization; German Colonial Association and other lesser groups.

This resulted in a colonial lobby for the return of the colonies which included education of the German public. Leaders were: Heinrich A. Schnee; Prince Hohenlohe; Carl Peters; leaders of missionary organizations; banking; government; business; politics and finance. Schnee; a former colonial Governor in East Africa; wrote with bitterness regarding claims that Germany was more cruel than other European nations to indigenous Africans. He countered this by noting that Germany was no different in their activities or behaviour than other nations. During the Weimar government German Statesman G. Stresemann, at an international meeting in Locarno (1925) pressed for; amongst other considerations; the return of former German colonies.

During the early political life of Hitler there was no interest in African colonies. He desired only a strong Germany unified in the interests of Germany. However the success of the colonial lobby changed the attitude of Hitler when he came to power. Eventually all previous activities for colonial claims were to come under the Reich leadership of General Von Epp (Reich Colonial League) and a priority on the Reich agenda until the close of WWII.

Thank you for the opportunity to comment.

Dr. I.M. Spence-Lewis

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”