shanghai and the triad gangsters

Discussions on all aspects of China, from the beginning of the First Sino-Japanese War till the end of the Chinese Civil War. Hosted by YC Chen.
Balrog

shanghai and the triad gangsters

Post by Balrog » 04 Sep 2003, 19:43

i have read a few books on shanghai in the 1920's and 30's. from what i have read the chinese triad mafia under a gangster named "big eared" tu was one of chang kai shek's primary financial backers. i would like to know some of the following information.

was chang kai shek really a high ranking member of the chinese triad mafia?

was the triads of shanghai really the nationalists army's main financial backer?

i've also read that the triads would collaborate with the japanese in many(almost all) situations. is that true? did the chinese mafia agree to split opium profits with the japanese army, etc?

anyone have photos of chinese triad gangsters or their homes in shanghai?

Mait

Post by Mait » 05 Sep 2003, 23:34

"i've also read that the triads would collaborate with the japanese in many(almost all) situations. is that true? did the chinese mafia agree to split opium profits with the japanese army, etc?"

As far as I know the triads were (and are not) a monolithic organization but rather a large number of smaller and bigger criminal gangs (with more traditions than western gangs). In this statement i refer to triads as traditional chinese criminal organisations. There are triads that are not criminal but rather secret or semi-secret brotherhoods. I believe that at least some of them collaborated. Money is a powerful force. Especially in underworld.

Best Regards,

Mait.

Gott

Post by Gott » 06 Sep 2003, 06:29

Chiang Kai-shek had connections with the triads, but he was not a member of the triads.

Shaara

Post by Shaara » 09 Feb 2004, 05:46

Chiang Kai-shek had strong triad mafia background. Because the financial support of these group, so Chiang Kai-shek can turn his back to Soviet Union's aid and turn to against Chinese Communist Party after the northern expedition.

Balrog

Post by Balrog » 09 Feb 2004, 17:35

does anyone have any photos of shanghai in the 1930's? i'm looking for photos of night clubs, chrous girls, the foreign cantonments, or any important gangsters. (like "big eared" tu, a dragonhead in the triads)

does anyone have photos of shanghai's white russian population or neighborhoods?

Shaara

Post by Shaara » 09 Feb 2004, 20:25

By 1930, there were about 15 thousand White Russians in Shanghai. Most of them were from original Russian Army. In Shanghai, most of them became the mercenary. Many of them service the Chiang Kai-shek's regime. During the fighting of Secend incident of Shanghai, the Russian force join the battle against Japanese with the Railway Guns.

Return to “China at War 1895-1949”