Jokes in ww2?

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
Aroma

Jokes in ww2?

Post by Aroma » 26 May 2002, 00:58

Does anyone know jokes from ww2 era/about ww2? Jokes from Finland, Germany and SU would be great.

Phaethon

Re: Jokes in ww2?

Post by Phaethon » 26 May 2002, 02:22

Aroma wrote:Does anyone know jokes from ww2 era/about ww2? Jokes from Finland, Germany and SU would be great.
Coincidentally I just today read the page on humour in the Third Reich era in "Weimar and Nazi Germany" by Chris Hinton & John Hite with about a dozen examples of jokes circulating at the time. One thing I remember is that apparently Goebbels' department would issue anti-Nazi jokes to try and trace them through the citizenry and catch out those who pass on such things. An interesting result of this is that they mangaed to measure the speed at which such jokes propogated - it was 1400 km/week - who said nothong good came out of Nazi science :)

Also there is a chapter on anti-Nazi humour within Germany in "Voices from the Third Reich" by Johannes Steinhoff, Peter Pechel PhD & Dennis Showalter.

I have this evening packed the books away (I'm moving ofices on Tuesday) but when I get them out again and set the scanner up, I'll post some examples.

Here's a taster from memory:

A man walks into the records office and asks to change his name. The clerk is not keen on helping but asks the man's name and the man replies "My name is Adolf Stinkfoot."
The clerk is sympathetic and decides to allow the man to change his unfortunate name. "What do you want to change it to?" asks the clerk, the man replies "Maurice Stinkfoot."

Cheers,

K.

Ken Cocker
London

Ken Jasper
In memoriam

Post by Ken Jasper » 26 May 2002, 05:24

I have a book someplace about humor in Nazi Gemany. When I find it, I will post the title.

A lot of humor centered around Party and Government leaders. As you all may know, Goering's daughter was named Edda. The Germans used to joke that Edda stood for, "Emma dankt den Adjutant!"

Antti V

Re: Jokes in ww2?

Post by Antti V » 26 May 2002, 12:53

Aroma wrote:Does anyone know jokes from ww2 era/about ww2? Jokes from Finland, Germany and SU would be great.
Check out these booklets, should be available in "well equipped" library (booklets are in Finnish). I does have those, but I do not remember ISBN numbers (because I can´t now find those. What a messy apartment I does have :roll: :

Huumorin rautaisannos
(Includes anecdotes and jokes from Front magazines and wartime newspapers etc.)

Mannerheim kaskujen ja vitsien kuvaamana (? not sure about full name)
Jokes and funny things about Mannerheim during his entire life from the childhood to the last days.

I will try to find those booklets and give correct name and ISBN numbers.

Aroma

Jokes in ww2?

Post by Aroma » 27 May 2002, 15:04

Thanks for answers!

This is one of the "true storys" i remember.

After Italy had to retreat in their fight against Greece, Mussolini asked reason for this from his Generals.
-It's unpossible to advance, because there are Finnish troops in Greece, was their unanimous answer.
Mussolini demanded Finnish goverment to remove their troops from Greece. After research Finnish goverment found out that there are three Finnish soldiers and three officers living in greece and fighting as volunteers. Goverment answered to Mussolini that there are no Finnish troops in Greece, just 6 volunteers. Mussolini was very angry and telegraphed immediately back to Finns
-I ment exactly those mens !

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 27 May 2002, 15:36

Well, why not. For a duration of several decades, the Danish army consisted of 8 soldiers. At this time, Denamrk included parts of Sweeden and Germany...

Christian

Juha Hujanen

Post by Juha Hujanen » 27 May 2002, 15:59

Here's some from Kansa Taisteli magazine.

German definition of ideal war:German weapons,Russian winter equipment,Brittish summer equipment,American rations,French entertainment tournees,Italians as foes and Finns guarding flanks.

German teacher asked a student to definite paradox.Student replied:when the second man of the third reich runs away first.(happened after Hess flew to England)

(In 1944) How can you tell that soldiers in the eastern front are good friends? When soldier comes back from leave,his division has came backward 200km to meet him.

Finnish lietenat-colonel Nikke Pärmi commanded a battalion of criminals who had volunteered to serve at front.When a replacement arrived Pärmi asked why the man was in prison."I've stapped a man to death" replacement replied."Good,we need professional"said Pärmi.
When battalion was send to front,40 communist men of unit deserted to Russians.Russians used the confusion and attacked.Pärmi called to reserve unit"there are parts of my battalion coming in panic backwards.Try to hold these runners".After a while Pärmi said"after my men there are some Russians coming too.Try to hold them too".
Some junior officers of battalion asked to be transfered to other units,because they feared that serving in this battalion might harm their further career.Pärmi gave officers a speech."Some of you have asked to be transfered outside of this unit,because serving in this might harm yours further career.We are going to attack 8 a clock tomorrow morning and after that 90% of you have no further career".

And finaly a true story.Some say that Finnish men don't talk too much...
In winter war men of jaeger battalion 4 where granted to call home in chrismas.They were warned not to talk too long,so everyone could make their call.Master-sergeant Otto Nyrhinen called his wife."Is it wife?.Otto is still alive.end."

David C. Clarke
In memoriam

Jokes

Post by David C. Clarke » 27 May 2002, 21:33

Sorry, no jokes here, but Juha, those jokes were hilarious!!!
I mean really funny!!! Best Regards, David :D :D :D

Fridolin

Post by Fridolin » 27 May 2002, 21:40

I think I already told this one, but still find it very good and penetrating:

The skipper of a Polish submarine in WWII is asked: "you see in your periscope a German and a Soviet cruiser. Which one do you attack first?"

"Of course the German one", the Polish officer answers, "duty is always before pleasure".

Aroma

Post by Aroma » 28 May 2002, 00:37

This was English joke told in Africa
-When clock goes forward it goes tictac but when Rommel goes backwards it's tactic.

Still waiting for soviet jokes.

Nikke pärmi from Juhas joke was alongside with Mannerheim the most popular character in jokes in Finland. Pärmi used d instead of t when he talked. He also used polysyllabic words-which he invented by himself(or he used them in wrong contexts).

Here are some (true) stories of Pärmi.

Pärmi said to officer who called his recruits camels and monkeys
"one should nod use dhose words when one is nod aware of bodanics"

Before winter war Pärmi worked in a factory as a custodian. Some communists had put a huge picture of Stalin to the factory wall and they said that it will also stay in the wall. Pärmi said to communists
"Well, Well, I don'd wand do offend our gread neighbors honorable leader, bud how can dhad pictrure sday in dhe wall while i'm building door to dhad place tomorrow?" And the door was built next day.

Pärmi hated for some reason Finlands future president Urho Kekkonen. He was often heard to say "You musd be Kekkonen because you are ugly as hell"

Galahad

Normandy joke

Post by Galahad » 28 May 2002, 07:01

I've always liked this German Normandy joke about planes:
Question: How can you tell a German plane from an Allied plane?
Answer: If it's black, it's British. If it's silver, it's American. If it's not there, it's German.

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 28 May 2002, 10:21

The Brits used to say that the Americans were "overpaid, oversexed and over here." To which the American response was that the British were "underpaid, undersexed and under Eisenhower."

Logan Hartke

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 28 May 2002, 10:25

June 1940 classified ad in the (German-occupied) Paris newspaper:

For sale, six hundred thousand French carbine rifles, never fired, dropped once. Best offer. Contact French gov't. if you can find us.
Logan Hartke

Logan Hartke

Post by Logan Hartke » 28 May 2002, 10:32

Q. What is the Italian battle flag? A. A white cross on a white background.

Q. What is the shortest book ever written? A. Italian War Heroes.

Q. What's got six reverse gears and one forward gear? A. An Italian tank. The forward gear is in case they get attacked from behind.

Q. What nation's soldiers had the most sunburnt armpits of WWII? A. Italy's soldiers
Logan Hartke

Antti V

Post by Antti V » 28 May 2002, 10:46

Mannerheim kaskujen ja vitsien kuvaamana (? not sure about full name)
Its name was "Meidän Marski - Suomen marsalkka kaskujen kuvaamana" ISBN 951-584-317-0

sorry, have not yet found that another booklet :lol:

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”