What Italian(?) unit is this?

Discussions on all aspects of Italy under Fascism from the March on Rome to the end of the war.
User avatar
subskipper
Member
Posts: 771
Joined: 09 Mar 2002 17:16
Location: Sweden

What Italian(?) unit is this?

Post by subskipper » 17 Jan 2004 13:03

My work mate found this helmet at his summer house during a clean up. The helmet lining is marked Pasqua -41 Cap. Riva Oreste 1914

The helmet looks Italian, but the name sounds Spanish. Does anyone recognise the name and the unit insignia on the front of the helmet)


~Henric Edwards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FB
Member
Posts: 371
Joined: 13 Sep 2002 13:43
Location: Italy

Post by FB » 17 Jan 2004 16:55

The translation of the helmet' lining would be:

Easter -41 Cap. Riva Oreste 1914

Cap. should be the short for Capitano - Captain but could also stay for Caporale - Corporal. This last is ususally shortened in C.le, but all to many times I've seen it shortened in Cap.

I'd say that 1914 would be the year when Mr Oreste Riva was born.

I was forgetting: the language is Italian, the name is also Italian. Riva is a pretty common family name in Italy, particularly in the northern part of the Country.

Do you happen to know the origin of the helmet? I'm asking because the emblem on it is not clear enough from the pcture you posted to understand what it is. I only can figure out a "3" in the little circle in the emblem, and that usually stands, in the Army, for the Regiment Number, but it is not always so.

If the little circle is a bomb, surrounded by a flame, then the emblem could be that of "Genio Guastatori" (Fighting Engeneers).

Best regards

User avatar
subskipper
Member
Posts: 771
Joined: 09 Mar 2002 17:16
Location: Sweden

Post by subskipper » 17 Jan 2004 18:18

FB wrote:The translation of the helmet' lining would be:

Easter -41 Cap. Riva Oreste 1914

Cap. should be the short for Capitano - Captain but could also stay for Caporale - Corporal. This last is ususally shortened in C.le, but all to many times I've seen it shortened in Cap.

I'd say that 1914 would be the year when Mr Oreste Riva was born.

I was forgetting: the language is Italian, the name is also Italian. Riva is a pretty common family name in Italy, particularly in the northern part of the Country.

Do you happen to know the origin of the helmet? I'm asking because the emblem on it is not clear enough from the pcture you posted to understand what it is. I only can figure out a "3" in the little circle in the emblem, and that usually stands, in the Army, for the Regiment Number, but it is not always so.

If the little circle is a bomb, surrounded by a flame, then the emblem could be that of "Genio Guastatori" (Fighting Engeneers).

Best regards
Thanks for your answer!

Unfortunately I cannot produce a better image of the insignia, it's actually more visible on the photo than in real life. :) The little circle with the "3" inside looks more like a cog then a bomb, but the image above it does indeed look like a smoking bomb with wings protruding to the sides.

As to the origins of the helmet; I really don't know. My work mate found it his summer home, and it is very possible that his father bought it from an antique dealer some years ago. Where he got it from I don't know.


Regards
Henric

User avatar
subskipper
Member
Posts: 771
Joined: 09 Mar 2002 17:16
Location: Sweden

Post by subskipper » 17 Jan 2004 18:19

There are also some markings around the bolts on the sides of the helmet. Unfortunately they are impossible to make out.



~Henric Edwards

User avatar
Kenshiro
Member
Posts: 151
Joined: 18 May 2003 02:54
Location: Danmark

Post by Kenshiro » 17 Jan 2004 19:01

is that not a grenadier from sardegna? Granadiere?
I dont know....maybe im wrong.

User avatar
Odysseios
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: 29 Oct 2002 07:25
Location: Italy

Post by Odysseios » 01 Jan 2006 13:51

The insigna is from "Autieri"= car and truck driver corps.

rgds

O.

User avatar
FRANCY RITTER
Member
Posts: 3031
Joined: 02 Dec 2004 18:12
Location: PARMA City of European Food Safety Authority ITALY

Post by FRANCY RITTER » 04 Jan 2006 08:53

Odysseios wrote:The insigna is from "Autieri"= car and truck driver corps.

rgds

O.
Yes is a Autieri fregio (insigna)... http://www.esercito.difesa.it/root/Unif ... gitram.asp

zaptiè
Member
Posts: 333
Joined: 16 Dec 2004 12:22
Location: north italy

Post by zaptiè » 09 Jan 2006 18:55

Yes Autieri badge and probabily of Rsi because it was not the Savoy knot under the badge

User avatar
Lupo Solitario
Member
Posts: 1123
Joined: 21 Mar 2002 18:39
Location: Italy, country of sun, wine and morons

Post by Lupo Solitario » 09 Jan 2006 19:25

zaptiè wrote:Yes Autieri badge and probabily of Rsi because it was not the Savoy knot under the badge
this doesn't agree with the script about Easter 1941...the badge is in very bad conditions and part could have easily been completely erased

Return to “Italy under Fascism 1922-1945”