Anti-Partisan Badge & AP Rings

Discussions on Axis awards and decorations. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Benjamin Fanjoy
Banned

Anti-Partisan Badge & AP Rings

Post by Benjamin Fanjoy » 27 Jun 2002 21:41

Hello Gentlemen,

What do you think of this AP badge and these rings???
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Macmedal

Post by Macmedal » 27 Jun 2002 22:01

Looks like a bunch of junk to me.

APB as far as I am concerned is fake. The impression of obverse showing through to the reverse is a no no. The ss honour ring from what I can see looks fake the engraving looks too deep and the ring looks wrong .

The others I have no idea about but as they are photographed with the fake items.......... they look like the same construction as the Honour ring.

Nick

Benjamin Fanjoy
Banned

Post by Benjamin Fanjoy » 28 Jun 2002 01:06

Thanks Nick

Doug S

more junk

Post by Doug S » 28 Jun 2002 03:11

It's all in the same league with these:
http://www.epier.com/BiddingForm.asp?304004
http://www.epier.com/BiddingForm.asp?257371
http://www.epier.com/BiddingForm.asp?340530

Pure junk in my opinion. MarkIII, why all the posts showing repros? Are you posting for a friend?

Tony Barto
In memoriam

Post by Tony Barto » 28 Jun 2002 03:12

I believe Nick summed it up eloquently.

Tony Barto
In memoriam

Post by Tony Barto » 28 Jun 2002 03:14

Steve;

Do you think this is a fairly recent crop of repops? I've seen this type years ago and would've thought that the repoppers would be doing a better job on the APB by now.

Benjamin Fanjoy
Banned

Post by Benjamin Fanjoy » 28 Jun 2002 03:21

Steve Crow wrote:
Pure junk in my opinion. MarkIII, why all the posts showing repros? Are you posting for a friend?
Steve,
I really want to buy an ORIGINAL AP badge, I just cant seem to find any good ones :x

Any suggestions???

Doug S

Post by Doug S » 28 Jun 2002 03:39

.:MarK_III:. wrote:Steve Crow wrote:
Steve,
I really want to buy an ORIGINAL AP badge, I just cant seem to find any good ones :x

Any suggestions???
There are several reputable dealers who occasionally have them. Didn't Paul Jarvis have one you were going to buy?

Benjamin Fanjoy
Banned

Post by Benjamin Fanjoy » 28 Jun 2002 04:40

yes, but it sold before I got the chance

Matt Gibbs

Photo

Post by Matt Gibbs » 28 Jun 2002 22:48

Could the photo almost be from a fakers catalogue..? No offence meant but it almost look slike it could be!
I believe Weitze has had a couple of AP badges advertised on his website recently..? Of course for the real deal in good condition you are not going to find a bargain AP badge - all collectors and dealers of the genuine article will know what they have and rarity and price accordingly I should think...

Regards

Benjamin Fanjoy
Banned

Post by Benjamin Fanjoy » 28 Jun 2002 23:02

Thanks for the info Matt I will try looking at weitze web site.

Paddy Keating
Banned

Post by Paddy Keating » 28 Jun 2002 23:19

Steve,
I really want to buy an ORIGINAL AP badge, I just cant seem to find any good ones

Any suggestions???
You're probably looking in all the wrong places. Originals do crop up from time to time. But perhaps one in twenty 'genuine' AP Badges seen on the market at any given time is original. Study known originals. And then, when you think you know about them, study them a whole lot more. Study top-end fakes too. That way, nobody will be able to bullshit you into believing that you are buying a 2nd pattern AP Badge. On that score, for your first one, stick to the well-documented, textbook 1st pattern AP Badges made by C E Juncker. It's safer. Be patient and you will end up owning an AP Badge that will make you happy every time you look at it. It took me several years to find, for example, a 1st pattern Army Parachutist's Badge. A friend of mine hunted for an original BeVo 'FRANCE' LVF/Charlemagne armshield for more than ten years.

Sometimes one is lucky. Sometimes it takes years. But use the years to study the subject in detail. And get to know a few serious collectors who have known originals. And when the day comes that one of them decides to let one go, you'll be there to snap it up.

Most of my best pieces came from private collections. I hardly ever buy from dealers. That said, I have to say that I have had good experiences to date with Kai Winkler. He has a bad reputation in some quarters but he has always been straight with me. Weitze also has a certain reputation but he deals in good stuff too.

But you really have to know your subject...and, more to the point, you have to make sure they know you know your stuff. If they think you're a virgin, they might be tempted to rape you. They are dealers, after all, and the honesty of dealers is often index-linked to their need to pay the rent. There you are, MarkIII! A serious answer to a serious question.

:wink:

PK

BTW, I have some good obverse and reverse views of one of the nicest textbook zinc AP Badges I know. It's not mint or anything. It is just very, very nice. They're very large so I'd have to reduce them a bit but I can post them if it's useful.

Benjamin Fanjoy
Banned

Post by Benjamin Fanjoy » 29 Jun 2002 00:19

Wow , thank you kindly Prosper, I like your serious post. :o

I would love to see your scans!! :D

Also please look at my other post on the AP badge and post your comments here.

Regards Prosper, and I hope we can let by-gons be by-gons :wink:

Paddy Keating
Banned

Post by Paddy Keating » 29 Jun 2002 10:10

I see no reason not to forget the row. :D We just got a bit overheated, that's all. I'm glad we're squared away now.

Here's the obverse view of the badge I mentioned. More detailed remarks are included with the reverse view below.

Regards,

PK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Paddy Keating on 29 Jun 2002 10:31, edited 1 time in total.

Paddy Keating
Banned

Post by Paddy Keating » 29 Jun 2002 10:13

Here you are:reverse view of a nicely-worn Silver class Anti-Partisan Warfare Badge, struck in zinc by C E Juncker but, of course, unmarked. Note particularly the hinge and hook assemblies, which are typical of those used by Juncker on badges made of feinzink. The barrel hinge has a rectangular base to increase its 'footprint' and the area over which the solder can work to form a stronger bond as zinc does not take solder as well as other metals like bronze, tombak alloy, silver or aluminium. The circular plate under the hook is there for the same reason.

If it doesn't look like this, then it's not a Juncker-made AP Badge. That said, I have seen originals with more extensive cut-out work around the serpents' heads but they certainly came from the same set of dies as this one. Juncker was, as we know, bombed out in December 1944 and ceased production as of that date. That's why there is the so-called 2nd pattern AP Badge. Some say that it was made by casting, using a 1st pattern Juncker badge as a mould pattern, others that it was cast in a new mould by a "small firm", still others that it was struck on a new set of dies by "another firm", whose name is lost in the mists of time. Whatever the case, the 2nd pattern badge is a forger's dream.
Last edited by Paddy Keating on 29 Jun 2002 10:29, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Axis Awards”