RKT NSKK-Oberführer Robert Alber

Discussions on the personalities of the Wehrmacht and of the organizations not covered in the other sections. Hosted by askropp and Frech.
Alex Dekker

RKT NSKK-Oberführer Robert Alber

Post by Alex Dekker » 29 Feb 2004, 16:05

Hello,

I am needing information about Robert Alber. He was a NSKK-Oberführer (which unit?) and received the Knight's Cross (what did he do?). He also got a Iron Cross I and II.

So, can somebody help me out? Can I get (some) biographical info about him?

Alex

Mark V.

Post by Mark V. » 29 Feb 2004, 18:47

Hi lexiebabe!

Robert Alber was a company and battalion commander in Pz.Rgt.201 (23.Pz.Div.). As the 2nd company commander he took part in the division's 1942-43 battles in the Caucasus. In late July 1943 he took over the command of the I./Pz.Rgt.201 (this was equipped with Pz.IIIs and Pz.IVs). This battalion (the division's lone panzer battalion) suffered heavy losses in the first counterattack to defeat the Russian bridgehead at Mius in mid July. On 30 July 1943 the division attacked the bridgehead once more and succeeded, with the II.SS-Pz.Korps's help, in eliminating it. Right on the first day Alber's panzer battalion and Schägger's recon battalion managed to encircle a powerful enemy group in the so-called Garany pocket and destroyed it on the next day. For their decisive actions both commanders received the KCs.

Hope somebody can help you with his NSKK unit :) .

cheers

Alex Dekker

Post by Alex Dekker » 29 Feb 2004, 19:04

Hey Mark,

So Albers was a honorary member of the NSKK? All I got is a picture of him in a NSKK-uniform, wearing his medals (it's in the book of Angolia about the NSKK/NSFK). You've answerd my question, so thanks a lot! (Quick reaction though!)

Thanks,

Alex

Return to “The Dieter Zinke Axis Biographical Research Section”