Freikorps Lettow-Vorbeck

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
dandaman

Freikorps Lettow-Vorbeck

Post by dandaman » 05 Mar 2004, 19:36

On page 120 of "German Uniforms, Insignia & Equipment 1918-23" by Charles Woolley there is a photo of an NCO of the Freikorps Lettow-Vorbeck in May 1919. Has anyone else been written about this interesting Freikorps unit? Do more photos exist?

Durand

Post by Durand » 08 Mar 2004, 00:46

Hallo,

I do not think that there are any specific books on the Schutztruppen Regt. v. Lettow-Vorbeck and in various books on the subject of the Freikorps there also does not appear to be a great deal of information. Of course, this does not mean the information does not exist, but if it does it is not seem to be readily available. Hopefully, someone will come along to change this estimation. :D Unfortunately, I also do not have any photos of the General Lettow-Vorbeck from the period in question or members of the Regiment named for him.

You are now thinking why is the odd fellow bothering to write. Well, I have found a bit of information that may be useful to you. From what I gather, the Schutztruppen Regt. v. Lettow-Vorbeck was not in existence for very long. It seems that it was formed in March 1919 at Jüterbog and absorbed into the Reichswehr as a cadre for Infantry Regiment 79 in May 1919.

I do not know with any certainty in what action(s) that the unit may have participated. General Lettow-Vorbeck is reported to have been involved in the suppression of workers uprisings in Berlin, Hamburg , and Mecklenburg. The only specific date I have for any of those actions is the one at Hamburg. Lettow-Vorbeck commanded the force that suppressed the workers on 1 July 1919. One author, of a leftist bent, reports that 10,000 Freikorps troops entered the city with armoured cars, torpedo boats, and artillery. One could guess that Schutztruppen Regt. v. Lettow-Vorbeck (or Infantry Regiment 79) was also involved, but I can not confirm it.

At the time of the Kapp Putsch in 1920, Lettow-Vorbeck was the Reichswehr commandant for the city of Schwerin. He declared openly for the Kappists. The result was that he was booted from the Reichswehr when the Putsch failed. Although an adherent of the right, Lettow-Vorbeck was a monarchist and anti-bolshevist. He did not join the Nazis. It has also been reported he rejected an offer from Hitler to become the ambassador to London. He died in 1964.

I hope that this has been of some help.

Regards,

Durand

koley

Post by koley » 08 Mar 2004, 05:35

The insignia for this unit was, apparently, a Lion's head on an oval shield, although I have not seen a picture for verification.

And, for what it's worth, v. Lettow-Vorbeck is described as "a legendary wartime Commander of German East Africa who fought a brilliant campaign of guerilla warfare that had tied down an Allied army commanded by Smuts for the entire course of the war...a distinctive figure in his slouch bush hat..."

Sorry. I've found no pictures of this freikorps...

Koley

koley

Post by koley » 08 Mar 2004, 21:27

Perhaps this information is unwanted. I, however, have had some time on my hands and, consequently, did some googling for the General and his freikorps. Attached please find a couple of portraits of the ostafrikakaempfer as well as some pics which seem to be from the Kapp putsch. Information and pictures of his freikorps unit have eluded me so far, however.

Koley
Attachments
Einzug_Ostafrikakaempfer_Berlin_.jpg
Einzug_Ostafrikakaempfer_Berlin_.jpg (15.96 KiB) Viewed 2991 times
lettow.jpg
lettow.jpg (15.91 KiB) Viewed 2992 times
lettowvorbeck_BG.jpg
lettowvorbeck_BG.jpg (83.72 KiB) Viewed 2992 times

koley

Post by koley » 08 Mar 2004, 21:32

these are the other 3 pics I'd found from my google search.

koley
Attachments
strassenkampf_43.jpg
strassenkampf_43.jpg (14.08 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
strassenkampf_44.jpg
strassenkampf_44.jpg (13.22 KiB) Viewed 2986 times
willken010201.jpg
willken010201.jpg (70.05 KiB) Viewed 2986 times

Wolfensteiner

Post by Wolfensteiner » 11 Mar 2004, 10:24

he wears his hat like the Australian Slouch Hat

beauregard61

Post by beauregard61 » 12 Mar 2004, 14:17

This is the headgear of the members of the Scutztruppe in the german colonies. I think it was called "Südwester" after Deutschsüdwestafrika.

Canutt

Post by Canutt » 29 Apr 2004, 15:56

This is the arm badge (this one is probably a copy) of the FK Lettow-Vorbek

And this is a volunteer wearing the badge above

Chris Dale
Host - German Colonies

Post by Chris Dale » 01 May 2004, 14:52

Thanks very much for that Canutt,
I'd been looking everywhere for a photo of the Friekorps Lettow Vorbeck . I don't suppose you have any more?
Cheers
Chris

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”