Turkish Soldiers

Discussions on the final era of the Ottoman Empire, from the Young Turk Revolution of 1908 until the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923.
Chadwick

Turkish Soldiers

Post by Chadwick » 10 Mar 2004, 20:53

Kaan in the modeling section had some excellent pictures of a diorama of the Gallipoli invasion. I was wondering what Turkish helmets were made out of? In the pictures it sort of looks like cloth. Was there some kind of shell lining underneath? -- thanks chris

Kaan Caglar

Post by Kaan Caglar » 10 Mar 2004, 22:45

Hello Chadwick,
Yes it was a special type of a cloth and it had some shell linings inside and around. The reason why the helmets are different soldier to soldier is that it was not somekind of serial production.
I hope these two photos would help to clear your mind.
Regards
Kaan
Attachments
ge-turk-soldier.jpg
ge-turk-soldier.jpg (33.75 KiB) Viewed 2461 times
Gelibolu.JPG
Gelibolu.JPG (59.85 KiB) Viewed 2464 times

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » 11 Mar 2004, 05:32

Thank you kaan and moulded for your replies they have answered my questions. Also thanks for the excellent pictures. The Turkish Army in WWI has always interested me, sadly there are so few books on this topic. I did read an excellent book over the summer called Ataturk. Once again thanks for the info. --- chris

Kaan Caglar

Post by Kaan Caglar » 11 Mar 2004, 19:59

Hello again Chris,
You might also like to visit this thread about a book.
The Turkish caps were also called "Enver Cap". A little note :wink:
Cheers
Kaan

michael mills

Post by michael mills » 12 Mar 2004, 09:12

As I understand it, the "enveriye" consisted of a conical wicker frame, around which a long piece of cloth could be wound. The variations are due to the fact that each soldier could wind the cloth in a different way.

A dark-coloured felt cloth was used for winter, and a light-coloured cotton cloth was used for summer.

There was also a version of the enveriye that was made as a formed cap, ie not as a length of cloth, and had ear-flaps. In the Australian War Memorial Museum here in Canberra. there is a mannequin of an Ottoman soldier wearing this kind of enveriye.

Yet another version looked like a sailor's sou'wester.

Chadwick

Post by Chadwick » 12 Mar 2004, 09:45

thanks again kaan and mr. mills. -- chris

Abdul Hadi Pasha

Post by Abdul Hadi Pasha » 12 Mar 2004, 19:30

michael mills wrote:As I understand it, the "enveriye" consisted of a conical wicker frame, around which a long piece of cloth could be wound. The variations are due to the fact that each soldier could wind the cloth in a different way.

A dark-coloured felt cloth was used for winter, and a light-coloured cotton cloth was used for summer.

There was also a version of the enveriye that was made as a formed cap, ie not as a length of cloth, and had ear-flaps. In the Australian War Memorial Museum here in Canberra. there is a mannequin of an Ottoman soldier wearing this kind of enveriye.

Yet another version looked like a sailor's sou'wester.
That's my understanding as well; supposedly Enver had an interest in the mill that produced them and he got a cut for every one sold...

I don't like them personally; I prefer the Kalpak, which is much cooler looking (well, not literally).

Return to “The end of the Ottoman Empire 1908-1923”