Slovene Officers in the Austro-Hungarian Military

Discussions on all aspects of Austria-Hungary. Hosted by Glenn Jewison.
Orok

Post by Orok » 18 Apr 2004 20:11

Hi Klemen and all,

Just found this:

Generalmajor Alfred Johann Theophil Jansa von Tannenau, born at Stanislawow (Galicia or Bukovina?) in 1881. Father Emanuel Jansa, k.u.k. Oberst; Mother Anna von Meyer; Spouce Judith Reviczky von Revisnye, April 8, 1919; Education Cadet corps, War Academy in Vienna.

Before the war he was a Captain in the General Staff with the Army Inspector in Sarajewo and a member of the Disarmament Committee in Geneva. During the Great War he was in different positions on the Serbian, Italian and Russian fronts.

Among his decorations are Great Silver Badge of Honour of the Austrian Republic; Knight Iron Crown, III. class, with Swords; Military Cross of Merits with Swords; Silver and Bronze Signum Laudis with Swords; Royal Prussian Iron Cross I. and II. class; Royal Bavarian Military Cross of Merits II. class, with Swords; Imperial Turkish Iron Halfmoon Order; etc.

He is obviously not a Pole or Ruthenian, his birth place could be where his father as an officer was stationed. If you can find out where his father was born or his mother's maiden name, perhaps this will give us some clue as to his family's nationality background! :lol:

Best Regards

Franz-Joseph

Re: Slovene Officers in the Austro-Hungarian Military

Post by Franz-Joseph » 19 Apr 2004 10:58

Gyenes wrote:
Allen Milcic wrote:
Orok wrote:
We all see a lot of Serbo-Croats and some Poles, besides the ubiquitous Germans and Magyars, but I am not sure if there are any Slovenes.

Hi Orok:

I'm not trying to be picky, but what exactly is a "Serbo-Croat"? The Croats and the Serbs are two distinct nations - as distinct as the Slovenes.

Best regards,
Allen/

I personaly am part Croat and I know the differences exist between Slovens, Croats, Serbians, Bosnians. Especially on Religous agreement. But can you possibly tell them apart. Like are there distinct physical features to a slovene that distinguish him from any other south slav. just curious...

And also to comment on the Language. I have seen it numerously written as Serbo-Croat or a class at college labled as such. But recently it has been changing were now you study just the serbian or croat with their distinct qualties.

(I am sorry if this might offend anyone, but I mean no harm.)

Ok, I mean also no harm with this reply:)
There are not many differneces among slovene and croat, not even pshycial and not soo many cultural, because in slovenia, you can feel the inffluence of many culturs. Is there also many pshysical differneces of Austrian or Slovene or Croat? I know it was tought that I am a german in forgein country. People are very similar to each other, ok I think maybe only people of romanian(SPanish, Italian) origin are sligthly different in their typical looks(I mean no harm). Only serbs have maybe more different look, a bit more darker and different facial looks, but still many things are consoquences of different inffluences.

Stauffenberg II

Post by Stauffenberg II » 19 Apr 2004 12:00

Hi!

I have also heard that Jansa was of Slovene origin, but can´t verify/falsify it unfortunately. Could well be.

Some more on Jansa:
(16.07.1884-20.12.1963)
Barracks of Pz. Gren. Btl. 35 (Groß-Mittel) are named "Jansa" barracks
Feldmarschalleutnant: 24.12.1935 (tit.), later with Pat. 24.12.1935

Another high officer born in Slovenia is the later Oberst Richard Verderber, born in Kocevje (Gottschee). See:
http://www.austro-hungarian-army.co.uk/ ... ichard.htm
http://www.uni-klu.ac.at/~hleustik/gott ... -36-37.htm

Regards!

K.Kocjancic

Post by K.Kocjancic » 19 Apr 2004 13:03

Probably also of Slovene origin: Oskar Kokoschka - Slovene version of his surname is Kokoška - Chicken. :lol:

Albin Mlaker

Orok

Post by Orok » 19 Apr 2004 13:15

Thank you all for the info.

Klemen,

Oskar Kokoschka's father was a Bohemian Czech, his mother was a German(?) from Styria. Kokoschka perhaps means the same chicken in Czech! :lol:

Best Regards!

Orok

Post by Orok » 22 Apr 2004 15:31

Another photo of General Alfred Jansa.

Best Regards!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Orok

Post by Orok » 22 Apr 2004 15:45

K.Kocjancic wrote:List of Generals/Admirals in Austrian/Austro-Hungarian army (until 1918):

4.) Cassini, (Kacin) Oskar, kontraadmiral (b. 1837, Trst)

Regards,
Klemen

Hi Klemen,

Going back to your list, this particular officer is mentioned in Lawrence Sondhaus's book In the Service of the Emperor: Italians in the Austrian Armed Forces 1814-1918 and the author considers him an Italian (writing his name as Count Oscare Cassini). The man has some significance in this book since he was the first Italian officer in the Navy being promoted beyond the rank of Captain (promoted Rear Admiral in 1892) ever since the so-called Bandiera Fiasco in 1844.

Just think you might find this piece of information interesting. :lol:

As to Tegetthof, the same book characterized him as a thoroughly Italianized German, feeling more at home talking in Italian with friends and colleagues than in any other languages. The man entered the Venetian Naval Academy at a tender age where all the courses were taught in italian and almost all the students were also Italian.

Best Regards!

Return to “Austria-Hungary 1867–1918”