Konstanze Manziarly

Discussions on the role played by and situation of women in the Third Reich not covered in the other sections. Hosted by Vikki.
mundsen

Konstanze Manziarly

Post by mundsen » 23 Apr 2004, 22:59

Greetings from a newbie; what an interesting bunch you are.

I'm wondering if anyone knows any more about this woman than the following:

Born in Innsbruck ca. 1920. Hitler's diet cook. A "small mousy woman".

Joined the Bunker breakout group (wearing a Wehrmacht overcoat). Became separated from them. Rumoured to have either (a) been raped by Ivans & committed suicide (b) killed during breakout.

(Amongst other things, I was wondering: apart from Hitler, was she the only other Austrian in the Bunker?)

STEVE

Mich

Post by Mich » 29 Apr 2004, 16:21

Traudl Junge said (in her book) about Constanze Manziarly that she saw her the last time when they had escaped out of the bunker and were somewhere in Berlin. Manziarly had putted on a coat from the Wehrmacht (just as you said). The Russians saw that and dragged her to an office. That was the last time that Traudl Junge had seen Manziarly, but Junge claims that Manziarly has commited suicide on may 2 1945 by taken cyanide.

Best,

Mich.

AlainDucasse

Re: Konstanze Manziarly

Post by AlainDucasse » 07 May 2008, 21:22

Does anybody has a photo of Constanze Manziarly?

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 04 Jun 2008, 18:05

AlainDucasse wrote:Does anybody has a photo of Constanze Manziarly?
I have searched for quite a while, but have been unable to find one...anywhere.
Rob
"Even God cannot change the past. "
-Agathon (448 BC - 400 BC)

ohrdruf

Post by ohrdruf » 04 Jun 2008, 19:16

From Christa Schroeder: "Er War mein Chef":

Constanze Manziarly
b. Innsbruck 14.4.1920 of Greek father and Tyrolean mother
After Realschule trained as dietician-cook at Haushaltsschule Innsbruck.
From 13.9.1943 At Professor Zabel's Kurheim, Bischofswiesen.
During summer of 1944 met Christa Schroeder, who was taking the cure at Bischofswiese, and asked her whether she should accept the offer of an appointment to be Hitler's diet-cook. "To my great regret I advised her to accept the position," Schroeder wrote. September 1944 joined Hitler's Staff at FHQ "Wolfsschanze" and "Adlerhorst". In the Berlin bunker she had a small dietician's kitchen where she prepared meals for Hitler (and Christa Schroeder)- the Bircher-Benner diet. and was a regular guest at Hitler's evening tea sessions.

Christa Schroeder described her as "a beautiful, tall, dark-haired girl, and gifted pianist". Hitler was allegedy very fond of her. Although Hitler's close female staff were not issued officially with cyanide capsules, Christa Schroeder obtained hers from Skorzeny in exchange for a bottle of champagne.

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 04 Jun 2008, 19:26

ohrdruf wrote:...the Bircher-Benner diet....
What was that?
Rob

AlainDucasse

Post by AlainDucasse » 05 Jun 2008, 12:02

After Hitler became vegetarian (app. shortly after the suicide of his mistress Geli Raubal on 20.9.1931) his personal doctor Dr. Theo Morell (* 22.7.86 † 26.5.48) was advised in food-questions (e.g. diet-questions) by Prof. Dr. Zabel (* 1894 † 1978). Zabel runs a sanatorium ("Kurheim Zabel") in Berchtesgaden, very close to Hitler´s Berghof at Obersalzberg. He was a supporter of the "Bircher-Benner" diet, which is a special vegetarian diet. Because of that, Hitlers last dietary cook Constanze Manziarly came from Prof.Dr. Zabel sanatorium. According to the movie "Der Untergang" (Downfall) Ms. Manziarly made Hitler´s last lunch on 30.4.45 in the "Führerbunker" in Berlin, vegetarian Ravioli (filled italian noodles) with tomatoe-sauce and cheese.

The "Bircher-Benner" diet was invented by the famous Swiss physician and a pioneer in nutritional research Maximilian Oskar Bircher-Benner (August 22, 1867 – January 24, 1939). At his sanatorium in Zürich, a balanced diet of raw vegetables and fruit was used as a means to heal patients, contrary to the beliefs commonly held at the end of the 19th century. He is best known for the invention of the muesli cereal, although his invention differs significantly from what is today known as muesli', and in Switzerland specifically as 'Bircher Müsli.

The "Bircher Müsli" is especially for breakfast. So according to my informations (mainly from valet Heinz Linges [23.3.13-9.3.80] book) Hitler also - beside other things - prefers some of the "Bircher-Müsli" contens for his breakfast. For instance: apples, nuts, porridge oats. (as I like pictures & posters, see attached poster)

Have a look at your next hotel stay, most probably you will find the "Bircher-Müsli" at the breakfast buffet.

Source: I took the Bircher-Benner personal details from Wikipedia
AH breakfast.gif
AH breakfast.gif (85.22 KiB) Viewed 12386 times

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 05 Jun 2008, 19:56

Thank you so much, Alain! :)
Actually, the diet sounds rather pleasant...
Rob

Zumwalt

Post by Zumwalt » 22 Jun 2008, 01:20

Marziarly was claimed to have dissapeared without a trace, but as seen in the German film "Der Untergang" the group splits up. Traudl and Gerda Chrisitan in one group with Willhelm Mohnke, and Marziarly with another group consisting of mostly women. The women in her group reported that she was taken away in the U-Bahn tunnel by two Soviet soldiers, she reasurred them that they would just be checking her papers, but the group was told to move on when she didnt come back. Gerda and Traudl's escape wasnt easy, as Traudl was gang raped which resulted in a broken shoulder, arm, and a sprained hip. Unfortunantly, Gerda looked like a Russian to most Soviet's, small and plump, which hurt her chances of escaping without injury.

Gianni Lepri

Post by Gianni Lepri » 25 Jun 2008, 09:36

as Traudl was gang raped which resulted in a broken shoulder, arm, and a sprained hip.
Hi Zumwalt,

Can you please report the source of this info ? Thank you.

cheers
Mauvered

RomeijnLand

Post by RomeijnLand » 28 Sep 2008, 22:12

mauvered wrote:
as Traudl was gang raped which resulted in a broken shoulder, arm, and a sprained hip.
Hi Zumwalt,

Can you please report the source of this info ? Thank you.

cheers
Mauvered
Hi mauvered,
One author, James Preston O'Donnell, claims this happened in his book "The Bunker".
He also claims that Traudl Junge was held as the "personal prisoner" of a Soviet major for a year.

Best Regards,
RomeijnLand

ohrdruf

Post by ohrdruf » 30 Sep 2008, 15:20

The fate of the parties breaking out of the Reich Chancellery was recounted in "Die Letzten Tage mit Adolf Hitler" (DVG Preussisch-Oldendorf), written by SS-Obersturmbannführer Erich Kempka, Chief of Hitler's Motor Pool, in 1950 and augmented by Erich Kern, historian. The women with the exception of Fräulein Manziarly who remains missing all escaped to the West.

AlainDucasse

Post by AlainDucasse » 19 Nov 2009, 10:29

I found one!

http://bpkgate.picturemaxx.com/index.ph ... olfschanze
ghostsoldier wrote:
Rob
Attachments
Constanze Manziarly.jpg
Constanze Manziarly with A. Kannenberg, standing at Schloss Klessheim app. 1943
Constanze Manziarly.jpg (42.19 KiB) Viewed 8923 times

ghostsoldier

Post by ghostsoldier » 03 Feb 2010, 22:51

AlainDucasse wrote:I found one!

http://bpkgate.picturemaxx.com/index.ph ... olfschanze
ghostsoldier wrote:
Rob
Thank you, Alain! I had forgotten to bookmark this thread....I'm glad you were able to find an image of Constanze....she's a lot younger than I imagined... :D
Rob

Helge

Post by Helge » 09 Oct 2020, 20:12

This is a portrait of Constanze Manziarly: Berchtesgaden in 1943

Source: Tiroler Tageszeitung
Attachments
CM.jpg
Sota ei päätä kuka on oikeassa, vain sen että kuka on jäljellä.
War does not decide who is right but only those who are left.

Return to “Women in the Reich”