Heroic Defences

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
szopen

Post by szopen » 01 Jun 2004, 09:16

Hi Szopen,

Sorry if this is not in the topic..but Ian Kershaw gave the figure of 4,000+ ethnic Germans murdered in Bromberg as the most reliable estimate in
his book, Hitler: Nemesis 1936-1945. His sources is from de Zayas and a polish author Karol Marian Pospieszalski.
Karol Pospieszalski was denying that massacre, IIRC. It's strange to cite him as backing the claim. He for example was finding out, that some of people allegedly murdered in 1939, were still alive in 1945.

De Zayas wrote to me about them:
"The methodology of Pospieszalski and the argumentation of Gelberg, Wiwiora
and Schimitzek never impressed me as being much more than chauvinistic writing."

Anyway, De Zayas gave number of 5000 for ALL Germans killed in 1399 campaign. He haven't answered when i asked whether he checked how many of them were drafted into Polish army or shooted just as any Poles by Luftwaffe.

Hugo Rasmus, German amateur historian did enormous job of comparing address books of Bromberg inhabitants in 1939 before the war and - hm, not sure from when, either from Winter 1939 or beginning of 1940. He find out about 400 names or so people missing. This is most probable number of victims. But most of them were woman and children. De Zayas answered like this:

"Rasmus is an amateur historian.

Good effort, but I would not be too inclined to rely on his figures.

The Wehrmacht-Untersuchungsstelle, as I wrote you, was a serious office,
composed of senior judges -- old school -- not Nazis or propagandists.

In their internal papers they estimated 5,000 killed Volksdeutsch for all
of Poland, including Bydgoscz. "

In other words, if there would be 5000 Germans murdered in Bydgoszcz, then 4600 of them would have not be mentioned in 1939 address books.
Possible (there could be people escpaing from other cities or countryside), but i think you will admit that not that likely.
And alos, it is not just in Bromberg but else way in Poland...
Where else?

As far as i know, none seriously except for neonazis is still backing Hitler's 58.000 number of victims. Serious historians (i consider De Zayas serious historian too) gave number between 5 to 10.000.

jrbooksonline is copying verbatim books from Nazi propaganda pamphlet edited in 1939.

Anyway, let me quote De Zayas again:

"I have little doubt that at least 2,000 German Volksdeutsch were murdered
at Bydgoszcz, maybe as many as 3,000. Then, there were others killed in
other villages in Western Poland during the first two weeks of the German
invasion.
There were also a considerable number of German victims when they were forced
to march East. In all, probably about 5,000 Volksdeutsch died."

About German revenge:
"I estimate that the murders of the SS in Poland in the period September-November
1939 must have well exceeded 20,000."

And about Hugo Rasmus from google:
"Der deutsche Historiker Hugo Rasmus hat eine Liste der in seiner Heimatstadt Bromberg umgebrachten Deutschen erstellt. Demnach befanden sich unter den 358 Toten 39 Frauen und 55 ältere Menschen. "

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 01 Jun 2004, 12:52

Szopen,

Thanks for your info..Did you know how can i contact de Zayas? Because Ostuf Charlemagne and me are working on a book and one of the chapters is about Bromberg Bloody Sunday...So, i just want to check with multiple sources so that we wouldn't be accused of writting neo-nazi books..

By the way, the 58,000 figure is a propaganda..Confirmed by Gerhard Engel, Hitler's army adjutant.

If de Zayas gave a minimum of at least 2,000 murdered what is your contention that around 300-500 were murdered..May i know your methodology in collecting the data..I mean the statistics and so on

Szopen, regarding Pospieszalski, Kershaw in his footnotes for chapter Licensing Barbarism, he quoted Pospieszalski's notes

Regarding Hugo Rasmus of collecting the address of the inhabitants of Bromberg of ethnic Germans, you're forgetting that some of the victims of the Bromberg bloody sunday were from other locations in poland which were forced march into bromberg so 400 does not seem plausible

szopen

Post by szopen » 01 Jun 2004, 13:56

Contact to De Zayas: [email protected]

He is very friendly guy, for example Jastrzebski does not answer my email while he did that immedietely.

Of course you can't be sure how many people died that day in Bydgoszcz/Bromberg. Number of Polish soldiers which were killed that day in Bromberg also vary between 20-40 (BTW, if you are writing the book then maybe you will be interested in articles that appeared in local Polish newspapers - itnerviews with two Polish historians and few intercepts from testimonies of witnesses. However number of 2000 is as good as any other. Germans forced to march into Bydgoszcz would be convoyed by Polish military, while no witness is saying about massacring Germans from convoys (i don't know whether such convoy was (or was not) at all in Bromberg/Bydgoszcz)

Rasmus exact number was about 358. But frankly, the number is not that important. Fact is, that the innocent, including women and elder persons, people died; another fact is, that it was caused by panic and believes (true or not) that someone is shooting to Polish soldiers; another fact is, that for few hours military commanders were unable to control the mob and then choosed to believe that all victims were sabotageurs.

Fact is also that many people were exectued for factual or imagined participation in the event, including Polish PoWs just because before war they were living in Bydgoszcz.

EDIT: In Bydgoszcz paraphial.. parophal.. damn. In books of two of catholic cchurches of Bydgoszcz 48 persons is written to be buried in 3.09 and 5.09, 25 of them known with name and addres, with given reasons of death: "shot" or similar. In the same catholic cemetary 10 Germans (evangelics) were buried that day, their names are on Huga Rasmus' list.

Note that those 48 Poles even alhtough shot, were not necesarily shot by sabotageurs. When chaos started, people started to shot to each other. Some witnesses say that they saw German sabotageurs in Polish uniforms - they could be in fact average Polish soldiers.

Bernarda Wehner in september 1939, send there from Berlin, estimated number of victims for 103.

After the war, polish procurator Garszczynski estimated number of victims as 300

Jozefa Mikolajska, which worked before the war and during it as city statistic gave 618 names, of which 238 were from Bydgoszcz, 286 outsiders and 94 of unknown origin.

700 Germans were captured and let free later after short investigation.

Germn organization (sorry, i know only Polish name) Central for Volskdeutsch graves in Poland in 1939 gave 379 names of killed, reducing that number to about 300 in 1942.

Let us also remmeber that before the war about 9,500 Germans were living in Bydgoszcz. 5.000 would mean murdering more than half of them...

About diversion: Polish military commander IIRC was also calling for help of regular units to fight the diversion... There are multiple relation of soldiers catching armed Germans, and fighting with sabotageurs.

Liluh

Post by Liluh » 01 Jun 2004, 14:37

That`s all very interesting lads, I mean it. But you`re "slightly" off topic for pretty long *hint hint* ;)

I suggest we move with Bromberg story to a new thread where we`ll be able to brag about it freely. Maybe someone could provide some pictures aswell?

szopen

Post by szopen » 01 Jun 2004, 14:59

Liluh, i tried to stay on topic. I posted the Wizna example :)

BTW, i know your nick from somewhere, but no idea from what. Freeciv games maybe?

Liluh

Post by Liluh » 01 Jun 2004, 17:27

Ha Szopen, indeed from Freeciv. We`ve played some games togheter few years ago. You`ve got good memory :))

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 02 Jun 2004, 03:47

Hi Szopen,

thanks again for the valuable..I'll contact de Zayas...Perhaps you would like to contribute something to our book for the chapter Bloody Sunday...It's good to have multiple sources for a chapter so it's easier to corrobrate..

Thanks again and i really appreciate your assistance in clearing the confusion

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 02 Jun 2004, 03:48

Hi Szopen,

thanks again for the valuable..I'll contact de Zayas...Perhaps you would like to contribute something to our book for the chapter Bloody Sunday...It's good to have multiple sources for a chapter so it's easier to corrobrate..

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 02 Jun 2004, 04:48

Not sure if it has been mentioned but I was always amazed at General Chuikov and the 62nd Army at Stalingrad. They deserve a high rank in such a rank of defense.
"The Germans obviously thought that the fate of the town had been settled," wrote Vasily Chuikov, the Russian commander. "We saw drunken Germans jumping down from their trucks, playing mouth organs, shouting like madmen and dancing on the pavements." They penetrated to within two hundred yards of his command post.

Hitler was already claiming total and impending victory (just like Napoleon once, in 1812). It looked like it was over… But it was not. Germans met severe resistance in the streets of Stalingrad. They had to fight for every house. A German general said: "The mile, as a measure of distance, was replaced by the yard ..."

General Chuikov, the commander of Soviet 62nd Army, threw in every last reserve. Everything that could shoot was on the streets, everything that could fly was in the sky. But his troops were outnumbered and could not stop the German advancement. By the end of November the Wehrmacht cut through Stalingrad, cutting the 62nd Army in two parts. But that still did not mean the end of it. Shrinking and weakening, the Red Army was stubbornly fighting. Particularly severe clashes took place over the Mamaev Mound. The hill changed hands at least 8 times.

szopen

Post by szopen » 02 Jun 2004, 08:53

Liluh wrote:Ha Szopen, indeed from Freeciv. We`ve played some games togheter few years ago. You`ve got good memory :))
That were good games :) Still owning Amiga?

szopen

Post by szopen » 02 Jun 2004, 08:55

Joachim Chan wrote:Hi Szopen,

My English is not good enough for being anyone else than guy pointing to different sources :) I could translate few Polish articles etc about Bromberg/Bydgoszcz, if you want - i have two books on that topic, BTW. Do you want my email?

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 05 Jun 2004, 19:52

Szopen,

Yes, please PM me...Thank you...

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 05 Jun 2004, 19:52

Szopen,

Yes, please PM me...Thank you...

WalterS

Post by WalterS » 05 Jun 2004, 22:59

Heroic defense? The defense of Bastogne by the 101st Airborne Division in December, 1944. Against overwhelming odds and in bitterly cold weather the 101st succeeded in holding this key town and, in so doing, broke up von Manteuffel's 5th Panzer Army's advance.

Lipton

Post by Lipton » 08 Jun 2004, 11:10

WalterS wrote:Heroic defense? The defense of Bastogne by the 101st Airborne Division in December, 1944. Against overwhelming odds and in bitterly cold weather the 101st succeeded in holding this key town and, in so doing, broke up von Manteuffel's 5th Panzer Army's advance.
I totally agree. Despite the lack of food, ammunition and winter uniforms they were able to hold the area.

Arnhem is another good example of heroic defence. British paratroopers´ defence made a huge impression on the Waffen SS soldiers.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”