Last German plane shot down

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Luftwaffe air units and general discussions on the Luftwaffe.
Erich

Post by Erich » 18 May 2004, 20:33

Erik yes very familiar with the site and been in contact with Olve the last three years. This is where the 2 of May date comes in from my files with contact through him. The other date comes from another Norwegian researcher some two years ago. The Nachtjagdstaffel seems to still have much unknown about it...........have some excellent pics of one of the captured Ju 88G-6's.

E

Erik E

Post by Erik E » 19 May 2004, 23:23

have some excellent pics of one of the captured Ju 88G-6's.
Sounds interesting! Are they from Norway?? Gardermoen or maybe Lista (Lister) ??

I have really searched hard to find the Hq of NJG Norwegen. I would suppose they had their own gefechtsstand bunker at Lister airfield, but so far, no luck!! I have been to that airfield 10 times, and nothing is mentioned on original maps........

Have you got any clues of the groundpersonell which followed this unit??

EE

Erich

Post by Erich » 20 May 2004, 22:14

Erik will have to dig as I have two pics. One is captured by US ground forces and I have at leat 5 idfferent photo views of this a/c.

they are buried in some Night fighter data for a book I am doing on the Ju 88G-6, a/c and crews...........

Erich

Michi

Post by Michi » 19 Jun 2004, 01:47

The Last of the Last:
Michi
Supporter

Posted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 1:49 pm Post subject: ?_Courland: Luftwaffe's Operation 'Rescue' on 8th May 1945??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any facts known about the happenings which occured on the 8th May 1945 over the Baltic Sea or Kurland/Courland??

According my source:
On the last day of the war 4 He 111 and an unknown number of Ju 52 were flown from the West and Norway into the pocket of Kurland/Courland.
Many tranport planes from the Norwegian airports, flew even over the Swedish territory to get there.
They were unarmed, as in the West & Norway the war was over for some days.
The Ju 52 landed in Grobina/Grobin, the He 111 had to land on a bigger air-strip.
At the way home, the Russian fighters organized a "turkey-shooting", all of the 4 He 111 were shot down; and 32 of an unknown Number of Ju 52 were lost.
At least 20 - 30 soldiers were on board in each of the air-crafts.

1.) Did this happen?? (as I have only this source)
2.) Who many Ju 52 flew to Courland??
3.) Which transport units took part.
4.) If this did happen, in which books are there infos about it??
5.) Are the numbers of lost transport a/c correct??

Any additional informations are welcomed!!

MfG Michi

=============================================

xavier
Contributor

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:48 am Post subject: turkey shoot.......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

very interesting michi, sureI would like to hear more about it, ...
were did you get the available data on this criminal act.?

regards
Xavier

Constant practice devoted to one subject often outdues both intelligence and skill:
Cicero

=======================================

Michi
Supporter

Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:58 am Post subject:

My sources were some different books, and articles in the net.

Reilling, A.: Die Letzten Flieger Von Kurland
Schmidt, Rudi: Achtung - Torpedos los!

MfG Michi

==============================================

Ron Klages
Supporter

Posted: Sat Oct 05, 2002 4:25 pm Post subject:

Michi,

The following information is from the book Bridgehead Kurland by Franz Kurowski.

I quote from the book:

In the morning of 8 May 1945, 35 Ju52 transport aircraft flew from Norway into the Kurland pocket and landed at Grobin, directly east of Libau. It was the last intact German airfield. In exemplary fashion, they took the wounded and fathers of families on board for transport to the Reich.

They were attacked by Russian fighters and ground-attack aircraft over the Baltic Sea. Almost all of them went down, burning and trailing heavy plumes of smoke, in an hour of increasing attack by more than 100 Russian fighters and IL-2 ground-attack aircraft. None of those aircraft could be saved. Only two of the Ju 52s were able to sneak through at extremely low altitude, only about 20 meters above the water. That was a terrible catastrophe. It was solely a result of the fact that Jagdgeschwader 54 had been instructed to take off for its flight back from Kurland early in the morning.

Hope this adds to the information base

best regards

MfG Michi

Kurt_Steiner

Post by Kurt_Steiner » 04 Jul 2004, 10:01

PF
Gefreiter (Gefr)
(3/3/03 4:58 pm)
Reply Last dogfight April 1945 ?
On pp.310-312 of Cornelius Ryan's 1959 "The Last Battle" is an account of 2 1st Lts (Scouts) of the US 5th Armored Divsion in a Piper Cub brought down a Fieseler Storch (photo page 190) GErman Pilot and observer captured.

Mitchtanz
Unteroffizier (Uffz)
(3/8/03 3:57 am)
Reply Last WW II Air to Air Claim

Soviet: on May 10th 1945 over Czechoslovakia, when Boris Jeremin, CO of 6GIAD claimed a Fw 190. The claim was disallowed since WW II had officially ended day before.

I cannot find my Western file at moment will post tomorrow.

Regards
Mitch

adco
Unteroffizier (Uffz)
(5/12/03 10:53 pm)
Reply Re: Last WW II Air to Air Claim
Hi guys, Not sure about the last overall air-to-air kill of WWII but according to John Weal's Focke-Wulf Fw 190 Aces of the Russian Front (osprey 1995) the last (or at least one of the last know) Luftwaffe kills was scored on Tuesday 8th May 1945. This was by two Fw190A8s of II./JG54, piloted by Oberleutnant Gerhard Thyben (who had his chief mechanic stuffed into his cockpit with him!) & Feldwebel Fritz Hangebrauk. It was a Petlyakov Pe-2 off the Courland Peninsula (crew - Pilot Major Grigori Davidenko, observer Major Grashchev, gunner unkown). Hope this helps!

Alex smart
Gefreiter (Gefr)
(7/11/03 11:29 pm)
Reply Last WW2 Air/Air Claim
Hello,

Are we talking only of the air war in Europe in WW2 here ?

or

Are we talking the last Air /Air combat of WW2 ?

If the latter than that must surely go to the FAA Avengers and Seafires in the Far East.

Alex

PF
Gefreiter (Gefr)
(7/17/03 5:12 pm)
Reply Last dogfight
The last Air to Air Combat in Europe till May 1945

Thamastha
Unteroffizier (Uffz)
(8/10/03 7:57 am)
Reply Re: Last dogfight
I know that also on may 8th, Erich Hartmann scored his last kill over a (I believe) a Yak-9. After this incident he flew westward to the Americans, who subsequently handed him over to the Russians...

Cheers,

Tim

FalkeEins
Unteroffizier (Uffz)
(8/18/03 5:14 pm)
Hi,

a Soviet bomber was also shot down by a IV./JG 300 pilot on 8 May....

Neil

Adrian Hills
Unteroffizier (Uffz)
(3/18/04 1:25 pm)
Anyone have a date for the last Nightfighter kill by Britain over Germany after 26th april 1945.

ErichB
Oberfeldwebel
(3/18/04 5:35 pm)
Reply last kill ?
no but I have the last date for a German nf over an RAF bomber

¢¼

MasterKaoz
Unteroffizier (Uffz)
(5/30/04 11:56 pm)
Reply soviet tu-2 over czech territory
Shot down by a Bf-109K around 20:30 , on the 8th May, as the pilot attempted to escape west, seems fighter was shot down still above german held territory by friendly aaa!!! Soviet Tu-2 was bounced by the pilot of the bf 109 when this was heading north after some 20 minutes flight. Account was mentioned on several ww2 books of the 70's, and despite i am not sure of the bf 109, i guess it must have been a k from jg 52, 53 or 54. Tu-2 remains were found in 1986, location unknown and no bodies found.
from http://p069.ezboard.com/fluftwaffeexper ... D=12.topic

Best regards

Erich

Post by Erich » 04 Jul 2004, 21:07

hmmmmmmmmmm ErichB, wonder who that could be ? hmmmmmm

:lol: it's a great site by the way guys. go have a look see.........

E ~

Kurt_Steiner

Post by Kurt_Steiner » 05 Jul 2004, 10:18

Erich wrote:
hmmmmmmmmmm ErichB, wonder who that could be ? hmmmmmm
Really? As some people use to say, this is a little world, indeed! :lol:

It's true, it is a great site!!!! :P :P

Best regards

Erik E

Post by Erik E » 05 Jul 2004, 20:31

This is definately not correct!
The war officially ended on the 8th May in Norway, but few places were surrendered at once.
An example would be Sola airfield, which was under German command until 11th May 1945. There were simply no organized forces to take over the airfields!
Many German soldiers were attached to the Norwegian police in order to patrol ammunition and weapon storws, aswell as strongpoints, batteries+++

I have several eye-witness accounts that planes were armed allmost until they were blown up by British forces in June-July 1945.....

EE

Michi

Post by Michi » 07 Jul 2004, 01:37

This is definately not correct!
The war officially ended on the 8th May in Norway, but few places were surrendered at once.
An example would be Sola airfield, which was under German command until 11th May 1945. There were simply no organized forces to take over the airfields!
Many German soldiers were attached to the Norwegian police in order to patrol ammunition and weapon storws, aswell as strongpoints, batteries+++

I have several eye-witness accounts that planes were armed allmost until they were blown up by British forces in June-July 1945.....

EE

And the involved He 111 & Ju 52 were indeed unarmed!
Might they be unarmed because of the end of war at their front, might they be unamed because of saving weight; it doesn't matter. They were unarmed!

Also some unarmed Ju 88 recce planes were used.
In some Ju 88 there were 7 persons inside.

MfG Michi

Return to “Luftwaffe air units and Luftwaffe in general”