Middle Eastern Allies of Germany in WW2

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
StormTrooper_38

Middle Eastern Allies of Germany in WW2

Post by StormTrooper_38 » 06 Aug 2002, 09:42

Im not sure but did IRAN, while it was a strong country and had a good military help Nazi Germany in any way? I remember reading this book where it said that Hitler Loved muslims or something like that. I was just wondering.

Caldric

Post by Caldric » 06 Aug 2002, 09:48

May have been the Balkan Muslims they unleashed on the Serbs. I am not clear on all of it, but read it somewhere around here, may want to do a search on the subject.

StormTrooper_38

Post by StormTrooper_38 » 06 Aug 2002, 09:57

Thank you, me being Persian myself am interested to know. Pitty of what has happend to Iran the past 23 years after the revolution. I was a soldier there and i lost everything, my house, land, and friends. They even killed our general who was incharge of our Base. He did kill 3 of the "hitmen" but one came from behind and stabbed him. the rest are a bit sad. and very barbanic.

Illion

Post by Illion » 10 Aug 2002, 01:48

SS_Stormtrooper:

As I recall contacts between Iran and the Reich was frequent during a period of time, but then seized to exist.. Off course I talk of the heugenic relations with Iran..

By the way.. is it 23 years now?
I'm quite fond of persian history and used to indulge myself in it during my youth.. I saw videoclipps with the Shah during a parade to honour the old.. lovely!

//Illion

Ovidius

Re: Middle Eastern Allies of Germany in WW2

Post by Ovidius » 10 Aug 2002, 03:19

SS_StormTrooper_38 wrote:Im not sure but did IRAN, while it was a strong country and had a good military help Nazi Germany in any way? I remember reading this book where it said that Hitler Loved muslims or something like that. I was just wondering.
At least they tried to help, until the spring of 1941 - but the Brits and Soviets had taken care of this thereafter :mrgreen:

And other Muslims also did cooperate with the Third Reich:
1941 – Grand Mufti Visits Adolf Hitler in Germany

Photo – Government Press Office Photo Archives

The Grand Mufti of Jerusalem, Haj Amin al-Husseini, visits Berlin, meets with Hitler and makes Arabic radio broadcasts to Islamic troops fighting for the Nazi Third Reich.
The mufti and some of his aides participate in plans for the destruction of European Jewry and help the German propaganda machine. The mufti works to build his personal stature in the world as a major Arab leader.

In May 1941, German planes land in Syria with the consent of the French Vichy authorities and then continue to Iraq to help the rebels against the British. Jewish leaders in Jerusalem become convinced of an Axis invasion from the north.
Source: http://www.jerusalem-archives.org/period3/3-25.html

More details later, 'cause it's 4:14 a.m.

~Ovidius

PS Hitler had Muslim allies and sympathized Muslims somehow - he has been quoted to have said about the Grand Mufti of Jerusalem that "he's the most cunning old fox I've ever met" or something like this. From Hitler this was a praise :mrgreen:

Panzermahn

Post by Panzermahn » 10 Aug 2002, 04:11

I know there is a Rashid Ali Rebellion in Iraq in conjuction with Rommel's offensive to Alamein...with hopes that the Germans reached the Suez Canal and liberate Iraq from the British

Phil Bishop

Iran and Iraq

Post by Phil Bishop » 09 Oct 2005, 01:36

The British invaded Iraq on 30 April 1941 and the Iraqis surrendered on 1 June. The British were known as "Habforce". Iraq had mostly British small arms (.303 and Vickers MGs plus AT rifles). The Germans flew som Me 110s to support the rebels and the Italians supplied aircraft (CR 42s and others). Iraqi armour was some British Light Tank Mk II, Rolls Royce Armoured Car Type A and some Italian CV 33 plus 1 armoured train.

Britain and Soviet Union invaded Iran 25 August 1941 and Iranians surrendered 28 August. ranian armour was:

Checz LH AH IV x 50
Checz TNH x 50
US La Salle TK6 Armoured Car x 14
Armored Carriers (wheeled 20 men) x 50
RR Armoured Car Indian Pattern x 4
15mm ZBVZ/60 HMG on lorries x 16

Any further information appreciated.

PB

Helmut Von Moltke
Banned

Post by Helmut Von Moltke » 19 Oct 2005, 15:58

Most of the Middle East Arab population during WWII were Allies at heart to the Axis. Only the states which they lived in were not, and the states only declared war on the Axis very reluctantly. The British Empire and Zionist ideas enraged the Middle East Arab population, so they were pro Axis.

Nemmexe

Re: Iran and Iraq

Post by Nemmexe » 03 Oct 2021, 23:42

Phil Bishop wrote:
09 Oct 2005, 01:36

Britain and Soviet Union invaded Iran 25 August 1941 and Iranians surrendered 28 August. ranian armour was:

Checz LH AH IV x 50
Checz TNH x 50
US La Salle TK6 Armoured Car x 14
Armored Carriers (wheeled 20 men) x 50
RR Armoured Car Indian Pattern x 4
15mm ZBVZ/60 HMG on lorries x 16

Any further information appreciated.

PB
After 19 years, here is your answer:

All of those "Modern" equipment were organised in Brigade-level formation, named "Tehran's Mobile Force". It was under operational command of First Infantry Division. They were tasked to guard key locations.

After end of WW2, that unit, or better to say, what was remained of it, became the very first fully organized core of Iran's Armoured Divisions and it's training command facilities were built in the city of Shiraz.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”