Cdn War Museum

Discussions on the equipment used by the Axis forces, apart from the things covered in the other sections. Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Aufklarung
Financial supporter

Cdn War Museum

Post by Aufklarung » 08 Aug 2002 03:03

Just got back from the Canadian War museum annex at Vimy House in Ottawa. This is the stuff they don't display at the war museum and is a working display. These are some of the Axis kit in there. Enjoy. :D [/img]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Scotia

Post by Scotia » 19 Jan 2004 00:03

Great pics Aufklarung, next time I'm in Ottawa I'll check it out.

Christian Ankerstjerne
Forum Staff

Post by Christian Ankerstjerne » 19 Jan 2004 00:06

Very nice pics! Is the area available, if you ask nicely, or are you just lucky?

Christian

Korbius

Post by Korbius » 19 Jan 2004 00:38

Very interesting indeed Aufklarung, it seems like this Canadian war museum got its hands on some really exotic stuff, especially having that Fieseler human flying bomb :)

Dan H

Post by Dan H » 19 Jan 2004 01:11

I was there this summer, and much of the things that they have were donated. I took a lot of pictures but sadly many didn't turn out :( Attached are 2 that did turn out, one of them being almost identical to A's. I will see if I can find the pictures of their schwimmwagen...

/daniel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

R-Bob The Great!

Post by R-Bob The Great! » 19 Jan 2004 02:56

Although I really hate the way they repaint all the AFVs. At least at some museums, specifically Aberdeen Tank Museum.

Aufklarung
Financial supporter

Post by Aufklarung » 19 Jan 2004 06:59

Ah......ah......ah-choooooo!!! (sneezing from the dust blown off this thread by Scotia!! :wink: )

Drop me a PM there Scotia, all me Dad's family is from the South Shore.

Vimy House was usually only accessable in the summer months. It was open to the public so nothing special about my visit. It's just that it is no where near the Cdn War Museum and a bit hard to find.

Please realize that:

a. This thread info and pics are more than a year and a half old.

b. The "New" Cdn War Museum is being built and the artifacts in Vimy House may be being prepared for movement by the time Summer 2004 rolls around. I'm not sure how their access and hours will be affected. I'll try and find out.

Dan H is correct in that alot of there stuff is donated but that applies mostly to their personal size gear. Although my Regiment caretakes and has renovated a couple of AFV's for them that were donated by Gen Radley-Walters.

Found some data about Vimy House:
Change in services offered by the CWM's Vimy House
I would like to make you aware of the preparations underway to get the Canadian War Museum ready for the move to its new building. Our first major step is the closure of Vimy House, our collections facility, on September 1st, 2003. The closure is a crucial and important step we must take to allow time for staff to prepare our collections, library and archives for their move into our new facilities, scheduled to open on 8 May 2005. This does affect our services offered to researchers, donors and the public. Below you will find how each of our services will be affected:

Services suspended immediately
Acquisitions

Our procedures dictate that all objects offered to the collections of the CWM must be reviewed and approved by our Collections Committee. We have temporarily suspended accepting new donations until we are settled in at our new building. We will commence accepting new donations once again in September 2005.

We would appreciate if potential donors could retain their materials until September 2005, after which we will gladly accept donations for review by the Collections Committee.

Loans

Current loans and accepted requests notwithstanding, we will not be able to contemplate any new loan requests until September 2005.

Services suspended as of September 1st, 2003
Military Technology Gallery – Large Artefact Storage

The Gallery will be closed, and artefacts will not be available for viewing until the new Museum opens in May 2005. This includes school and group tours, VIP and public visits.

Library, Archive, Image Archive and Research Services

All library, archive and research services will be suspended until 8 May 2005.

Continuing Service
Image Reproduction Services

The image reproduction service will continue to offer its services to clients, as long as the requested image has already been photographed and is on file – no new photography can be arranged until 8 May 2005. For additional information, or requests, please e-mail imageservices@warmuseum.ca or phone (819) 776-8655.

Unfortunately, due to the logistics of preparing such a move, it's necessary for us to cease offering these services. I know that when these services are offered once again from our new facility, they will more than compensate for the temporary suspension of our services.

http://www.civilization.ca/cwm/cwmeng/c_serveng.html

New Museum opens 8 May 2005.

regards
A :)

mikerock

Post by mikerock » 19 Jan 2004 07:39

Not entrirely on topic, but Ottawa/Hull and the Gatineau Valley is my favourite place to be during the Summer. I've been to the Musem of Civilisation, and it is one of the best museums I have ever seen. The National Art Gallery is also great and the main building of the (old?) War Museum is exellent as well. They had Gen. Wolfe's tunic (complete with blood stains!) a Spitfire, a mock WW 1 trench you could explore and everything in between. The air museum was also first rate, and had a bunch of WW 2 aircraft (including a Lancaster!.)

--Mike

Return to “Other Equipment”