Codename: Panzers

Discussions on WW2 and pre-WW2 related movies, games, military art and other fiction.
Christian W.

Codename: Panzers

Post by Christian W. » 14 Aug 2004 13:28

This game looks really good. Go to http://www.gametrailers.com/ and watch the trailer, you cant miss it. If you want to see screenshots, go to http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/cod ... index.html

The official game site is http://www.panzers.com/

There are three demons, Utah Beach demo where you play as allies, Warsaw demo where you play as Germans and multiplayer demo. You can download them from http://www.gamershell.com/download_demo.shtml scroll down and you will eventually find them.

This strategy game is based on the battles and events of World War Two, there are many mission from the beginning of the war, like the Invasion of Poland ect and mission from the end of the war. You can play as Russians, Germans or the Allies. There are over 30 mission and over 100 vehicles.

The game has been released in some contries already but will be released here in 19! days. I can hardly wait.. 8O

Christian W.

Post by Christian W. » 14 Aug 2004 16:59

Well, i yust played the demo where you play as Germans and attack Poland and i must say...Hell! This is a good game! 8O

Obserwator
Banned

Post by Obserwator » 14 Aug 2004 17:19

From what I heard the game promotes Nazi version of the history and humiliates Poles.
Is it true ?

Christian W.

Post by Christian W. » 14 Aug 2004 18:12

No. The missions are based on historical facts and i assure you, Poles are not humiliated. In the missions where you attack Warsaw, the Poles put a good fight and fought hard before the city was conquered, in other words, the missions is hard.

Also, in the German campaing, you can read general Hans von Gröbel`s diary, in the part of his diary where he tells about the attack on Poland, he says that he and his soldiers spended a night in a Polish farm. There, the medic of his unit helped the farmers cow to give birth to twins. 8)

Snif, such an good game. Good graphics, good story, good everything.

Liluh

Post by Liluh » 14 Aug 2004 20:39

Christian, what were the polish units like? Any tanks, cavarly? Tell me tell me tell me! :D

I wonder how`s with historic accuracy, I only played allied demo with Utah assualt and it seemed pretty accurate as for equipment used there. Cheers.

Christian W.

Post by Christian W. » 14 Aug 2004 22:02

Well, this is only a demo, but i am not sure if there are cavalry units in the game ( i hope there are ) but there were none in Warsaw, most likely because ( as far as i know ), most of the Polish cavalry had been destroyed before the Germans arrived to Warsaw. The tanks that Poles had in the demo were, 7TP and TKS ( apparently late model ), they had also 75mm artillery guns and infantry.

Id say the historical accuracy is good, on the opening movie of the missions, you can see that the Luftwaffe bombers are bombing the city and the air raid alarm is sounded. After that, you and your forces must breach the Poles defences and capture the Polish general in charge of the citys defences. But that isnt easy..The Poles have made barricades around the city and have artillery guns placed around the city. Not to mention the snipers inside the buildings and tanks that are backing up the other units.

Before you start the mission, you must choose the units you want to use in the mission, but you can only have a limited number of units.

The Germans have units like, Panzer I and II, Sdkfz 223 halftruck,
Sdkfz 250/1 halftruck, Krupp truck, Kubelswagen, Sdkfz 11 halftruck, PAK-38 AT-gun, LeFh-18 artillery gun, Sig-33 artillery gun and several types of infantry. During the missions, you can call limited number of Luftwaffe bombers, Stuka dive bombers and artillery support to help you.

Note! This is demo. In the final version there will be over 100 difrent units.

Liluh

Post by Liluh » 14 Aug 2004 22:44

I finally downloaded the demo and.... WOW! 8O

I felt a bit awkward about playing Germans slaughterning Poles but only for first minutes as then I found out that Poles are slaughterning me not the other way around :)

The accuracy is good, really, the first game I found TP-7 and TKS (yes, late models as they have guns instead of machine guns). On the beginning we see German bombers hitting city, just buildings not military objectives (although a truck with soldiers blows up in the far 3rd plan). Then we choose troops and start. First thing I`ve noticed - shooted down PZL p-7 or p-11c (couldn`t decide which one was it). Then I cautiously approached the first buildings only to find one TP-7 and few troops hidden in the buildings nearby. That went good, I managed to destroy enemy tank and troops without much looses, then I prooced further to the city and scatter a bit my forces. Suddenly a TKS approached from one side and TP-7 from another. I lost two Pz-I to destroy that single TP-7 and then another Pz-II to get the next tank (and I had most of my units aiming for the single tanks before going for another). Obiously Pz-I are no match for Polish tanks, my Command tank makes it bearable though (Pz-II or III? I don`t remember). Even so, while I proceed further into city I found several AT gun nests and artillery, also, I think one AA unit, my infarty gets slaughterned straight away if they don`t move in tanks cover by cross fire from buildings. Poles also use mortars and since it`s difficult to find from where they are shooting, it`s good to simply run away from the place. Germans have superior power in the air so sending Ju dive bombers helps a lot to eliminate the AT-guns. With mere remains of my force I managed to get to the HQ only to be suprised that I have to find some kind of tool to open the shut-close basement where Polish HQ is. When I tried to search for this tool the rest of my troops got slaughterned :)

Few notes, Warsaw seems to have only low buildings, like 3 or 4 levels, some churches, worth noting are round bulletin boards with posters, and that`s propably accurate since it`s look like I`m operating in very borders of the town(?). Polish soldiers set up plenty of barricades, especially cool is the fact they used (so well known by Polish members of the forum) BLUE trams :)) There are civil cars scattered in the city like the common Polish FIAT model :) I forgot to mention this is 7th sept and it`s the day first German troops reach Warsaw. Our hero, German officer mentions they didn`t fight much, although some of his comrades died during the first week. Then he goes on that country men treat them suspiciously and he mentions the strongly suspicious (for me) part about his medic giving birth to the cow ;) The farmer, our hero and the medic dry out a bottle of wine soon after.

I wonder what the final version will look like. Still, this is a GREAT game, the very first RTS which shows Polish units in action!!! Now I understand how German players felt when they could only play Allies slaughterning German troops in other games ;>

Liluh

Post by Liluh » 14 Aug 2004 23:54

Okay I finished the demo.

So first *sore* words.

Scene I:
As I mentioned before, we need a tool to open the basements. The tool is a key, as we learn. How do wehrmacht troops find it? They enter another building where some drunken civilian is hiding. He`s unarmed, but drunk and agressive ("What? You will shoot me?") he insults soldiers, so one of them hits him and the guy falls on the ground. Germans talk to each other "What a drunken pig!" . They search the unconciouss guy (still, with a bottle in his hands) and find the key.

Scene II:
Polish officer discusses defence strategy bending over a desk with maps. He speaks in the precise english accent, like holywood movies used to present Russian speaking english. That`s a minor set back though, since Germans use the kind of "spitting-chocking" english accent we all know from the movies aswell ;) Anyway, Wehrmacht troops kick the doors and enter. Officer with his two soldiers (riflemen) reaches for weapons and everyone start shooting each other. Riflemen get killed but the officer keeps firing until he has no ammo and ducks, on of the German troops jumps onto desk and start shooting around ducking officer, when he finishes he asks the officer to surrender. Neither German or Polish uniforms in these intro/outro scenes are accurate. Especially Polish officer has a beard and looks like he`d take off his uniform from Soviet private in 1920 war :P Obviously the guy making demos had less taste than those who made in game gfx.

The Scene I, could be offensive. Personally, I`m not sure how do I feel about it. Why was that civilian drunken? Yeah, he could be affraid or just giving up with the though he`ll survive the battle, still, the interpretation and intentions behind these scene are unclear.

We will see in the final game, if such scenes will be often, by which they`ll indeed humiliate Poles, or just seldom, preferably none. It would be sad for such a good game to spoil the fun with unnecessary and offensive in its meaning scenes.

Christian W.

Post by Christian W. » 14 Aug 2004 23:58

There isnt anything strange in that the Polish officer had a beard, the Poles had been fighting hard for many days, so, i dont belive that you have time to shave when you are fighting a lost battle. And the German unifroms were quite accurate, unfortenetly, i dont know about Polish unifroms but i have seen German uniforms. But about the civilian...First, the Germans had crushed the Polish resistance and are now attacking the capital city of your contry, the Luftwaffe had bombed the city and now the German troops were attacking it. He was an unarmed civilian and surely afraid that he wouldnt survive, so, he decided to take something stronger to make him feel better.

Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Post by Musashi » 15 Aug 2004 20:17

Liluh wrote:Neither German or Polish uniforms in these intro/outro scenes are accurate. Especially Polish officer has a beard and looks like he`d take off his uniform from Soviet private in 1920 war :P

Yeah, I didn't know whether should I laugh or cry looking at the "Polish" offcer's uniform. It was arch-amateurishness for me. I played many games, but I've never seen such a shit. The programmers could have worn the officer in a Zulu attire and it would be funny at least. That Soviet cap... Eh... I will not write what I think about it straighforwardly here :x

Generally the demo was very impressive. I was shooting to the Polish soldiers with mixed feelings :?, but I lost only one infantry squad in this battle. I ordered it to run and it fell in ambush (HMG + mortar) and was slaugtered. The rest was easy. I used medics, repairing and ammo vehicles often and suffered no other casualties.
Ah, Liluh. The Polish tank was 7TP, not tp-7.

Christian W.

Post by Christian W. » 15 Aug 2004 20:39

The german uniforms were accuare, and the Polish unifroms..well, now that i have seen pictures about Polish unifroms used in world war two, i must say that the soldier uniform looked rather similiar to real ones but i dont really know about the officers uniform. I have only seen one Polish officer uniform, and that was in the movie, A Bridge Too Far, a person named General Stanislaw Sosabowski wore it, but that wasnt a field uniform, so could someone please give me a link where i can find Polish officer field uniform used in world war two?

Liluh

Post by Liluh » 15 Aug 2004 21:29

Musashi wrote:Generally the demo was very impressive. I was shooting to the Polish soldiers with mixed feelings :?, but I lost only one infantry squad in this battle. I ordered it to run and it fell in ambush (HMG + mortar) and was slaugtered. The rest was easy. I used medics, repairing and ammo vehicles often and suffered no other casualties.
Ah, Liluh. The Polish tank was 7TP, not tp-7.

Yes Musashi, I know, sorry, I always seem to write TP7 instead 7TP ;)

How about that pzl-11c?;) or pzl-7? I still don`t know but if you`ll look closer it has a squadron logo on its side. I wonder if it`s real.

After second try with the demo I also found it more easy, yet, this looks like the very first demo, Allied mission in Utah beach (second demo) is far more sophiscicated.

Baltasar
Financial supporter

Post by Baltasar » 16 Aug 2004 06:58

We will see in the final game, if such scenes will be often, by which they`ll indeed humiliate Poles, or just seldom, preferably none. It would be sad for such a good game to spoil the fun with unnecessary and offensive in its meaning scenes.
You may understand that as a german, I'm used to see ridiculous behaviour of supposed german troops and civilians. Personally, I can't understand why you feel offended. It's a game.

Obserwator
Banned

Post by Obserwator » 16 Aug 2004 13:39

I can't understand why you feel offended. It's a game.

Such stereotypes led to slaughter of 6 milion Poles and destruction of Poland.To see them still alive is very offending.

Christian W.

Post by Christian W. » 16 Aug 2004 15:07

The game is based on historical facts, even that propaganda is part of WWII history.

Return to “Movies, games & other fiction”