Title of Honor "Fliegerkosmonaut der DDR"

Discussions on other historical eras.
USAF1986

Title of Honor "Fliegerkosmonaut der DDR"

Post by USAF1986 » 03 Oct 2004, 18:36

On 13 March 1978, the State Council of the GDR created the Title of Honor “Fliegerkosmonaut der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik” (Cosmonaut-Pilot of the German Democratic Republic). Recipients were entitled to receive an automatic award of the Title of Honor “Hero of the German Democratic Republic” and the Karl Marx Order.

This title of honor was bestowed only once. On 10 September 1978, then Oberstleutnant Sigmund Jähn (future Generalmajor), the first German in space, received the award following his mission to the Salyut 6 space station, 26 August 1978-3 September 1978. The reverse of his medal was inscribed with these dates.

Among other decorations, Jähn was a holder of the Karl Marx Order and the Title of Honor “Hero of the German Democratic Republic.” He was also decorated by the USSR, receiving the Order of Lenin and being named a Hero of the Soviet Union.

Although I’m not 100% certain, I think Jähn also held the Title of Honor “Verdienter Militärflieger der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik" (Distinguished Military Pilot of the German Democratic Republic). Confirmation would be most appreciated!

Best regards,
Shawn

SOURCE: Feder, Klaus H. & Feder, Uta. Auszeichnungen der Nationalen Volksarmee der Deutschen Demokratischen Republik, 1954-1990. Münz Galerie, Berlin, Germany, 1994.

Panzer Fuehrer

RE: Honorary Pilot of the DDR

Post by Panzer Fuehrer » 21 Dec 2004, 19:01

The question was asked if it can be verified that East German Fliegerkosmonaut der DDR Dr. Sigmund Jähn was a recipient of the Ehrenteitel “Verdienter Militaerflieger der DDR”, or (Honorary Pilot of the DDR).

Attached is a photograph that I believe, serves to verify he in fact was. The ribbon to the far right, top most row (as you face the photo) is the ribbon for that award/medal.

While I cannot provide information as to the date he was awarded this medal, I can say with certainty it was not before August 1974.
Attachments
PICT0012.jpg
PICT0012.jpg (69.66 KiB) Viewed 1522 times

Panzer Fuehrer

RE: The Flieger Kosmonaut Der DDR Medal

Post by Panzer Fuehrer » 21 Dec 2004, 19:10

For Forum viewers that might be interested, attached is a photo of the Flieger Kosmonaut der DDR medal. While more than one (I'm sure the number could be counted on one hand) of these medals was struck, only one living and breathing human was ever awarded this medal - and that was Dr. Jähn. The medal was first produced March 13, 1978. I suspect it took part of its design from the Honorary Pilot of the DDR medal, in that the suspension ribbon is of the bar type, and not the 5 sided ribbon type that is common to most DDR medals. The first production Honorary Pilot of the DDR medals were of this type.

As a side note and of interest, is that the medal awarded to Dr. Jähn was inscribed on the reverse: "26 08 1978 - 03 09 1978".
Attachments
PICT0013.jpg
PICT0013.jpg (116.16 KiB) Viewed 1520 times

Panzer Fuehrer

Post by Panzer Fuehrer » 21 Dec 2004, 19:13

And here is an example (From my personal collection) of the medal about which this thread was initiated: Honorary Pilot of the DDR.

This example is of the Type 2 Medal, which was produced with the 5 sided suspension ribbon.
Attachments
Pilot-of-the-DDR-medal.jpg
Pilot-of-the-DDR-medal.jpg (76.74 KiB) Viewed 1519 times

maxxx

Post by maxxx » 21 Dec 2004, 23:37

the gdr introduced a medal for ONE SINGLE reciever?
They must have been far from earth if they believed there would be dozens of german kosmonauts during the coming years... :roll:

Panzer Fuehrer

Post by Panzer Fuehrer » 22 Dec 2004, 00:32

maxxx wrote:the gdr introduced a medal for ONE SINGLE reciever?
They must have been far from earth if they believed there would be dozens of german kosmonauts during the coming years... :roll:
Hi Maxxx,

Not sure your post is understood. The part about dozens of Kosmonauts I guess is what is really throwing me off. Only one GDR Kosmonaut medal was ever awarded. Obviously, with the fall of the Wall and reunification, any remaining medals, of which there had to be very few, were unissued. Again, not sure your post is understood, but I hope this answers it?

USAF1986

Post by USAF1986 » 22 Dec 2004, 05:34

Panzer Fuehrer,

Many thanks for your outstanding information/photos and confirmation of Generalmajor Jähn’s Verdienter Militärflieger der DDR.

Best regards,
Shawn

Return to “Other eras”