Leibermuster during the battle of the bulge?

Discussions on Axis uniforms, headgear and insignia. Hosted by John G & William Kramer.
Ryan94

Leibermuster during the battle of the bulge?

Post by Ryan94 » 03 Oct 2004, 20:09

Hello,

I have a question about the german Leibermuster, I heard it was produced in '44 and used in '45.
And my question is, were any Leibermuster uniforms given to german soldiers during the Ardennes offensive? (it ended at 28th. January '45)

I hope, you can help me. :)

Bye, David

Drew Maynard

Post by Drew Maynard » 05 Oct 2004, 15:20

As far as I've heard the Liebermuster camo stayed on the Eastern Front with Estonian and Eastern Front troops. And even then, very rarely. Do a search on the forum here and you'll get some answers and a few pics. there's also some 'counterfeit' jackets coming out of Russia right now as well.

Regards

vinland

Sewer King

Post by Sewer King » 06 Oct 2004, 05:41

A fairly good book, Beaver and Borsarello's Camouflage Uniforms of the Waffen-SS (Schiffer, 1993) covers the Leibermuster pattern. They say that it was meant to replace all other camouflage patterns both Army and SS. Some bolts of the fabric were found at the war's end I think. The authors also mention that one postwar army adopted -- or adapted -- this pattern, but do not say which army it was.

Wasn't it the Swiss Army?

Javichu

Post by Javichu » 06 Oct 2004, 10:26

AFAIK Leibermuster was used in combat, I recently posted a colour picture of surrendering troops with Leibermuster clothing. These troops were at the ITALIAN front, so maybe this cammo was more common than we thought.
There are also pictures of Assault artillery troops wearing it.
If you make a search for "Leibermuster" you´ll find some pictures in this forum.
By the way no Leibermuster is known to have been worn in Ardennes Offensive.

Ryan94

Post by Ryan94 » 06 Oct 2004, 16:45

Ok, thanks for your replys...

I think, my new 'battle of the bulge' germans (1/6) have to wear fieldgray, snow camo and pea-dot...

But thanks anyway. ;)

bye, David

antwerpx

Post by antwerpx » 06 Oct 2004, 21:06

Sewer King wrote:Wasn't it the Swiss Army?
Yup, the Swiss army used it several years. I believe the Belgian army wanted to use it too, but it wasn't approved (or only used for a very short time).

Askold

Post by Askold » 07 Oct 2004, 03:39

Javichu

Can you show me where you posted this picture? It would be really interesting to see it.

Javichu

Post by Javichu » 07 Oct 2004, 10:27

Sewer King

Post by Sewer King » 11 Oct 2004, 06:06

antwerpx wrote:Yup, the Swiss army used (Leibermuster) several years. I believe the Belgian army wanted to use it too, but it wasn't approved (or only used for a very short time).
THe first time I ever saw a Leibermuster pattern firsthand was a surplus Swiss Army zeltjacke. At the time I could see that it was Swiss, but could not see how a comparatively obscure camo pattern would've made it south across the Alps.

Yet it did. But how? The only way I could imagine was like that of the StG 45 rifle design going to Spain and becoming the CETME rifle. When exactly did the Swiss use Leibermuster, and what do they use now?

Mormaeglin

Leibermuster in Russian Movie : Liberation

Post by Mormaeglin » 27 Mar 2007, 23:38

I know that this could be little offtopic but, i have seen leibermuster in surely one of the greates battalistic movies in history ( a really forgotten movie.. thanks to Hollywood & Co ) Liberation from 1969 ( Running time approx. 7 hours, unlimited money for filming, 20 T34 at one time :)), 1000 extras running about et cetera.. imagine) Really interesting it seems that Russians had done great historical preparation and research before filming. Leiber was one of the most obscure of Reich`s camouflage patterns and it is amazing that it was included in a movie, perhaps it was used on much more scale than we suspected. Here`s pic, just follow link :

http://odkrywca-online.com/forum_pics/p ... osts01.jpg

movie at IMDB :

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0151852/
[/img]

Return to “Axis Uniforms, Headgear & Insignia”