Cruiser Emden

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Kriegsmarine except those dealing with the U-Boat forces.
Erich

Post by Erich » 29 Aug 2002, 04:38

To warships yes I agree.....it was nothing compared to it's former self though their battleships were garbage anyway. Look to the lighter ships for most of the action and of course the Schnellboote and U-boats. Will you be covering anything on the mini-subs on your site or is this beyond the limits of your site ?

E

varjag

Emden, Sydney and Kormoran

Post by varjag » 29 Aug 2002, 12:55

I think Dan's previous question (Readers Digest source) reffered to the battle between EMDEN of WW1 and HMAS SYDNEY which ended in EMDEN's
demise on the reefs of Cocos Islands. 1 - NIL to the Australians. The battle between Hilfskreuzer KORMORAN and the (new) HMAS SYDNEY in November 1941 ended a 1-All, both ships were sunk.

Dan

Post by Dan » 29 Aug 2002, 15:22

I think Dan's previous question (Readers Digest source) reffered to the battle between EMDEN of WW1 and HMAS SYDNEY which ended in EMDEN's
demise on the reefs of Cocos Islands
Thanks. Since posting, I remembered that it was WW1, but had forgotton the details. I'm still sure that the survivors of this crew were allowed to change there last names to von Emben.

Regards

admfisher

Post by admfisher » 29 Aug 2002, 22:11

Ok I still do not believe the story that the crew members were able to use the name von Emden.
von as I stated was a title bestowed on a person something like a person being knighted by the King or Queen of England.

But I did mail the two fellows who can tell and I will post there relies when I get them.

Eric:
"To warships yes I agree.....it was nothing compared to it's former self though their battleships were garbage anyway.
Look to the lighter ships for most of the action and of course the Schnellboote and U-boats. Will you be covering anything on the mini-subs on your site or is this beyond the limits of your site ?"

Nothing is beyond the limit, if you visted my site you will see that I am one of the only sites to cover both armor and warships of Germany. This is a huge undertaking which takes time and web space. I am hoping to get a better site location soon, but bofore I get into the small ships I will have to finish what I have.

David C. Clarke

Names

Post by David C. Clarke » 30 Aug 2002, 01:45

Hi, former crew members of the Emden of WWI raiding fame were allowed to add the suffix "Emden" to their last names after World War I. Over a 100 of them did so, including Julius Lauterbach-Emden and Prince Franz Joseph von Hohenzollern-Emden. But the "von" wasn't part of the legislation and the names were hyphenated as I've written them. This information is from pages 195-6 of Dan Van Der Vat's "Gentlemen of War". Regards, David :)

Dan

Post by Dan » 30 Aug 2002, 01:56

Thank you my friend, I feel about 85% vindicated. The "von" part had to do with all those brain cells that I have punished over the years.

David C. Clarke

No Problem

Post by David C. Clarke » 30 Aug 2002, 02:35

No Problem Dan, I knew I had read something similar myself and it was easy to find. I must confess that the German Raiders of WWI and WWII have always fascinated me more than the U-Boat arm for some reason. I think because they reminds me of the old frigate fights in the early 1800s. Very Best Regards, David :D

admfisher

Dave

Post by admfisher » 30 Aug 2002, 02:46

Dave thanks for clearing this up. I thought the title von held a little more to it.
As with the adding of the name Emden the captain Seedler was given his life time award as well. In his book he talks of his meeting with the Kaiser and how he loved his navy but had a high regard for the succesful raiders.

The Emden itself lead a brillant career till it's end.

Aufklarung

Post by Aufklarung » 31 Aug 2002, 03:43

I too have been rather fascinated by the raiders. Kormoran and Sydney is a great tale and there was a book about Atlantis and her great cruise. I believe it was written by her Captain :? . Good reading to be sure. Any raider specific sites or books to share?
Regards
A

David C. Clarke

Hi Aufklarung

Post by David C. Clarke » 31 Aug 2002, 04:13

Hi Aufklarung, there are many good books, but they went out of print fairly quickly.
For World War I:
1. "Graf Spee's Raiders" by Keith Yates
2. "The Kaiser's Pirates" by John Walter

For World War II:
1. "German Raiders of World War II" by August Paul Muggenthaler
2. "German Raiders" by Paul Schmalenbach-- a real prize this one!
3. "Pocket Battleship"by Krancke--The Adm. Sheer's raiding cruise!
4. "German Raider Atlantis" by Wolfgang Frank and Captain Bernhard Rogge.

The problem is finding any of these books, particularly the WWII ones, but once found, they're very good reads. Best Regards, David

Aufklarung

Post by Aufklarung » 31 Aug 2002, 04:32

David,
Much thanks. I have read Capt Rogges book but none of the others. I will begin a search this wknd. It seems although Atlantis got the attention, the real story is Kormoran. Also I believe Penquin somehow got to the NW Pacific. Again my thanx. :D

admfisher

Count Luckner, The Sea Devil

Post by admfisher » 31 Aug 2002, 05:34

I have a first copy of a 1927 book called Count Luckner, The Sea Devil written by Lowell Thomas. For it's time the writing is wonderful. And without to many fairy talese.

Andy H
Forum Staff

Post by Andy H » 31 Aug 2002, 14:41

Admfisher

Whilst in another part of the Forum a link was given to this site:
http://www.geocities.com/divazul/kriegsmarine.html
where the following passage is taken, which might be of interest to you-:
"The activity of the 31.Minensuchflotille was oriented to reinforce the 'Baltic latch', and especially the wide submarine net that united the Estonian island of Närgo and the Finish light - house of Porkala, to defend of possible submarine attacks the important Weg Orange route. During his mission the spanish could prove the efficiency os the systems of submarine detection called S-Gerät. In the Emdem were assigned the Korv.Kap Fernández de la Puente and Obl.z.See García de Quesada, being his welcome an aerial attack"

Andy from the Shire
:D

admfisher

emden

Post by admfisher » 31 Aug 2002, 23:03

There were many actions in the Batlic and other area's that are hard to follow. But I am aware of the part of the Spanish with the german naval forces. Thanks.

varjag

German Raider books

Post by varjag » 01 Sep 2002, 12:50

There are also two about 'KOMET' involving Kapt. Eyssen and 'ORION' with
Kapt. Weyher.Still looking for the KOMET book. Had read the others but was lucky to find 'ORION' on a jumble-sale for $2.00 - bargain eh?

Return to “Kriegsmarine surface ships and Kriegsmarine in general”