Hans Caspar Kruger (Krueger or Kreuger) & Swedish volunt

Discussions on the foreigners (volunteers as well as conscripts) fighting in the German Wehrmacht, those collaborating with the Axis and other period Far Right organizations. Hosted by George Lepre.
Smudge

Hans Caspar Kruger (Krueger or Kreuger) & Swedish volunt

Post by Smudge » 15 Jan 2005 13:34

Hello everyone I am new here and hope you can help.
I recently obtained a small silver Swedish sports badge belonging to Hans Caspar Kruger. The badge was attached to a photograph showing Kruger in an SS uniform when his rank was Hauptscharfuhrer. The badge and photograph were obtained from Ulrich who in urn obtained the items from Eric Rundkivst. This is my first foray into the waffen SS and I thought I would begin with foreign volunteers. I am not a militaria collector, it's just that I saw the item and became intrigued by the person and the waffen ss and saw this as a good way to put some research together and learn a bit of history.
My questions are as follows:
(1) Where can I research some detailed history/biography of Kruger?
I have looked on : http://www.geocites.com/~orion47 - superb write up. I am very intrigued as to where the original info came from, especially the bit about Kruger being rescued by a US Army captain.
Also found some suff on: http://www.axishistroy.com (of course!) and http://www.feldgrau.com. This last site has a picture of Kruger when he was a Kreigsberichter but I can't make out what rank he is in the picture.
(2) What promotions and medals did Kruger obtain?
Many Thanks in advance for any help forthcoming
Ian

Georg_S
Forum Staff

Post by Georg_S » 15 Jan 2005 13:45

Hello Ian,

To beginn with:
The badge you are mentioning, I don´t think Erik sold it under the words that it belonged to Kreuger
more like that it´s the same sort that Kreuger have on his Uniform, the badge is an ordinary award from
a shoting competition. I have always wondered why the German SS officers allowed Kreuger to wear it on his
uniform.

There is many storied about Kreuger circulating, both from "young" researcher as me, and from Vets who knew him during
the war. One of the suscpicious several have mentioned is that he was Gay/Bisexual and one vet told me that
it was after from a "meeting" with some male, that he crashed in his car and died in South America (Argentina)

I have some of his SS-Personalfile, I will scan it and post it here on the forum. I have several photos of him and when I get
time I will scan them and post them as well.

One other thing about him (Kreuger) was that he tried to get every SWede to volonteer or seek to the SS-St."Kurt Egger" but as one vet
said "who wanted to be with that kind of guys... in other means he mentioned that Kreuger and several others was having affairs"
Same vet testified how he and his Btl had to attend a execution of two Netherland vets who was caught in bed, and publiclly hanged infront
of the whole AuE.Btl in Klagenfurt.

//Georg

Smudge

Kreuger

Post by Smudge » 15 Jan 2005 19:23

George,
many thanks for the info.
I would very much look forward to you posting piccies of Kreuger and details from his SS personalfile.
As to his being gay/bisexual I'm not sure, rumours are the fickle points of jealousy especially if he was becoming famous through his writings.
By the way who is Erik? (pardon my ignorance if he is someone famous)
Many Thanks
AIn

Georg_S
Forum Staff

Post by Georg_S » 16 Jan 2005 07:23

a short resp. to your msg.

Yes you are right, but neverless are the rumours there. I didn´t knew Krüger myself,
so I have to listening and sort out what is said about him. But that rumours is something
which always returns.

Erik is just a collector as many others here in Sweden.

//Georg

Ostuf Charlemagne

Post by Ostuf Charlemagne » 17 Jan 2005 01:56

Hans –Kaspar Kreuger : the most famous swedish SS PK .Born in 1902 ,he spoke 6 lenguages ,incluiding spanish .Participate in the Winter War as warrant officer of the finnish army .In july 1941 he enlisted the waffen-SS (strangely enough for a foreigner ,he was also member of the Allgemeine SS !) Follows training at Sennheim SS boot camp and sent to Bad-Tölz ,graduated within the 11th Kriegs-Junkerlehrgang (1943-44).
SS Standarten-oberjunker ,later Ustuf .Sent to the wiking division ,participate in the break-out of Tcherkassy .The SS authorities had ordered him to comeback with one of the last planes ,but he denied (according to testimony of Wiking SS Ostubaf Paul Hummel ) to stay in the trenches with his comrades ....
He fought in Narwa with the SS Nordland div .In april 1945 he is in berlin as PK ,where he will covers the sector of the french SS Sturmbataillon .Along with other swedish SS ,he will manage to slip out of Berlin and will be captured by american troops .
Exilied in Argentina after the war ,where he will be founder and secretary of the “Europa-House” of european war exilees .After his death it was some unproved rumors that he have been member of the ODESSA , CIA agent and an adviser of the argentine army .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Smudge

Hans Kaspar Kruger

Post by Smudge » 17 Jan 2005 12:22

Wow, the plot thickens. What an interesting guy. I knew this whole area would be good to get into. I am a scientific resaercher by trade so get excited by research in general and needed nother hobby to get into - look like I ofund the correct one!
May I ask where you obtained your info Obsturm Charlemagne?
Also the photo you posted is the same as the one I have except it is longer in profile and shows him wearing a second badge below the swedish sports badge - can you identify/know what it is?
Many thanks to all who have helped so far it is very much appreciated.
Regards
Ian

Ostuf Charlemagne

Post by Ostuf Charlemagne » 17 Jan 2005 22:44

Go to the topic Gösta Borg ,where I posted a pic of this SS swedish officer too ...Here they ask me the same question and i answered it .

Badge : strangely ,it looks like a competition ( or "honor") HJ badge ....I had a very similar one in my collection ,yyyyyyyyyears ago .

Ostuf Charlemagne

Post by Ostuf Charlemagne » 17 Jan 2005 22:47

This rank is not Hauptscha. but Standarten-Oberjunker (SS Warrant officer ).This rank was carachterized by like Hauptscha.-spiegeln squarred stars ,but the whole uniform is of officer ,the buckle of belt is of officer ,and the spiegeln have a silvered cordon pipe ,like for the officer's spiegeln.

Return to “Foreign Volunteers & Collaboration”