The official AHF Allies & Neutral States quiz thread

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
Michael Emrys

Post by Michael Emrys » 27 May 2005 21:32

Okay, you're halfway there. Now for the prize and a chance to ask your own question, what did she do that was thought to be remarkable?

;)

Marcus

Post by Marcus » 29 May 2005 17:24

Everyone, to keep this quiz (the same goes for the others) moving: post a hint if no correct answer is given within 48 hours, if a correct answer has not been given within another 24 hours, post a new question.
Thanks.

/Marcus

Michael Emrys

Post by Michael Emrys » 29 May 2005 20:15

Another hint then: "Susie Q" performed a particular maneuver that is the subject of this question.

Aufklarung

Post by Aufklarung » 29 May 2005 21:32

Marcus, previously we were operating under the 1 week rule but if you wish to change that to speed up the quiz threads; that' fine by me. I don't think it wa you who set that timeline but rather a Mod. Nothing against that decision of the time but seems like the right thing to do to change the older rule in view of some quiz threads actually taking that long. 8O

"NEW Quiz Thread Rules" thread coming in Comments and Announcements please, Marcus. :idea:

Thank you.

I cannot, for the life of me, find out anything exceptional about "Susie Q" other than I like the way she talks, I like the way she walks, Susie Q.

She was one of four that set out with torpedoes rigged externally under their bellys to get the Japanese. Perhaps the first US twin engine a/c torpedo attack of WW2 or something. Although I see that Capt Collins in the lead a/c dropped firstand torpedo-carrying Marauders attacked the Japanese carrier RYUJO off the Aleutians the same day.

I give. :o

regards
A :)

Michael Emrys

Post by Michael Emrys » 30 May 2005 11:51

Aufklarung wrote:I give. :o
Okay. Fair is fair. Since you identified the plane and nobody else even took a stab, you are declared the official winner...sort of. :D

The answer I was looking for is that after dropping its torpedo, the Susie Q flew right down the flight deck of the Akagi. There is a small image of a painting of this feat here: http://www.thehistorynet.com/ahi/. [Beware, slow server.]

So, your turn to ask a question, Auf.

:)

Aufklarung

Post by Aufklarung » 31 May 2005 00:22

Good question, Herr Spot!! Back checking shows few sites that mention Muri's feat.

Staying with Midway; What type of US aircraft scored the first hit (albeit minor) of the battle on what Japanese ship ?

regards

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 02 Jun 2005 00:05

Aufklarung wrote:Good question, Herr Spot!! Back checking shows few sites that mention Muri's feat.

Staying with Midway; What type of US aircraft scored the first hit (albeit minor) of the battle on what Japanese ship ?

a PBY-5A Catalina torpedoed a Japanese oiler Akebono Maru?
Image http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/even ... mid-1m.htm

P.S.
Captain James Collins led his four B-26 Marauders into a gauntlet of anti-aircraft fire and six Zeros. Collins led his planes down to 200 feet above the water and, followed by Lieutenant James P. Muri, pressed on toward the carrier Akagi. Collins released his torpedo 850 yards from the carrier and pulled away. Muri released his torpedo at 450 yards, then turned and flew down the middle of Akagi's flight deck. Once Muri's B-26 was clear of Akagi, the Zeros attacked with a vengeance, wounding two crewmen and riddling the landing gear, fuel tanks, propeller blades, radio and the top of one wing. Despite that punishment, Muri and Collins were the only survivors of the four-plane B-26 group.
The defenders also had a large supply of blasting gelatin, which was used to make anti-boat mines and booby traps.
Napalm?
http://papercamp.com/his32.htm

P.S. 2
Image http://www.adamsplanes.com/VMF-512.htm

Regards, Juha

Michael Emrys

Post by Michael Emrys » 02 Jun 2005 14:13

Juha Tompuri wrote:
The defenders also had a large supply of blasting gelatin, which was used to make anti-boat mines and booby traps.
Napalm?
More likely a plastic explosive.

Aufklarung

Post by Aufklarung » 02 Jun 2005 18:41

And Juha is the winner. He's so much better at his searches than I.

The Akebono Maru also survived torpedoing by the US sub Raton (SS-270) east of Mindanaoin December of 1943.
http://www.ww2pacific.com/pearljp.html

The Finn (easier to spell than Suomi) has the floor.

regards

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 03 Jun 2005 09:48

Aufklarung wrote:And Juha is the winner. He's so much better at his searches than I.
Thanks, but for the later part...c'mon Auf, you know that's not so...sometimes Madame Fortune is on my side, sometimes on yours :)
BTW a very good question: got me interested at the background info and search more than was "neccessary".
Oakleaves for your AHF Service Medal. :)
A new one, name the plane(s):

Regards, Juha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SiG I

Post by SiG I » 03 Jun 2005 10:09

Hello Juha! The plane in the pic. looks a lot like a PZL design, p.7 or p.11. The photo is probably taken on a camouflaged airfield in september 1939.
Is this another one of your attempts to make a well-known type pass for an obscure one, like you did with the Curtiss Hawk? :D

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 03 Jun 2005 17:58

SiG I wrote:Hello Juha! The plane in the pic. looks a lot like a PZL design, p.7 or p.11.
Hi!
Which one? :)
The photo is probably taken on a camouflaged airfield in september 1939.
True
Is this another one of your attempts to make a well-known type pass for an obscure one, like you did with the Curtiss Hawk? :D
Who?... Me? :)

Regards, Juha

Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Post by Musashi » 03 Jun 2005 21:29

Juha Tompuri wrote:Image
It's PZL P.11c from 113st Fighter Squadron of the Pursuit Brigade. The photo was taken in Młynów airfield between 10th and 13th September 1939.

Cheers,
Chris

Juha Tompuri
Forum Staff

Post by Juha Tompuri » 03 Jun 2005 21:58

Musashi wrote:It's PZL P.11c from 113st Fighter Squadron of the Pursuit Brigade. The photo was taken in Młynów airfield between 10th and 13th September 1939.
Yep. Wasn't very "hard nut" for you?
I found the pic from here: http://www.fronta.cz/index.php?clanek=187
Chris, it's your turn next

Regards, Juha

P.S. actually I was looking for Turkish PZL P.24 pic, but changed my mind after finding this one

Musashi
Location: Coventry, West Midlands, the UK [it's one big roundabout]

Post by Musashi » 04 Jun 2005 12:16

Juha Tompuri wrote:
Musashi wrote:It's PZL P.11c from 113st Fighter Squadron of the Pursuit Brigade. The photo was taken in Młynów airfield between 10th and 13th September 1939.
Yep. Wasn't very "hard nut" for you?
I found the pic from here: http://www.fronta.cz/index.php?clanek=187
Chris, it's your turn next

Regards, Juha

P.S. actually I was looking for Turkish PZL P.24 pic, but changed my mind after finding this one
Sure, this question was easy for a Pole who is interested in history.

My question is easy. As I explained many times before my main purpose is not to put hard questions, but the questions about little known facts of Polish history, which could be a curiosity for non-Polish members.
Please name the Polish destroyer, which detected Bismarck after sinking of HMS Hood and when British fleet (I mean HMS Norfolk and HMS Suffolk) lost contact with her and when it happened.
Bonus:
please name the rest of the group of British destroyers which the Polish destroyer was a member of.

Regards,
Chris

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”