Forstschutz

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
hajo

Forstschutz

Post by hajo » 14 Feb 2005 19:47

Has anyone ever heard of the "Forstschutz" (~forestry protection) and has anybody information about its organisation, structure or insignias?

Thank you for any help!!!

HPL2008

Post by HPL2008 » 14 Feb 2005 21:20

I have some data on this little-known organization:

The Forstschutzkommando (FSK), or simply Forstschutz was a uniformed and armed para-military security formation raised in late 1939. Composed of some 10,000 volunteers, it was recruited from forestry officials and forest workers and headed by Landesforstmeister Ernst Boden. Hermann Göring, as the Reichsforstmeister, was its "supreme commander".

After having received brief training, the first 2,000 so-called Forstschützen were put into action in wooded areas in occupied Poland. Here, they provided security for lumber transports and -storage places and sawmills, as well as being employed to combat wood-thieves and poachers and to arrest "unauthorized" persons in the forests.
They were authorized to use firearms in the case of resistance or attempted escapes.

In July 1941, the Forstschutz took charge of the Bialowies forest, a former hunting ground of the Czar and important area for the lumber industry. The civilian population was evacuated from Göring's new Reichsforst, with their villages and farms being burnt to the ground and two small Jewish communities being liquidated as well.

In the summer of 1942, Forstschutz units were dispatched to the Reichs Commissariats of "Ostland" and the Ukraine. Here, they were used in anti-partisan operations, suffering significant casualties in the process themselves.

Apart from their original security tasks and anti-partisan operations, Forstschutz personnel were involved in the capture and liquidation of Jews, who had managed to keep from being arrested or who had escaped from Ghettoes and were hiding in the forests. Apparently, Forstschutz men were also actively involved in the liquidation of Jewish Ghettoes if regular SS- and Police forces were not available.

Later, during the large-scale German fighting retreat, Forstschutz units even participated in military combat engagements in an infantry role.

The above information is from the dtv Enzyklopädie des Nationalsozialismus.

As for the FSK men's appearance:
So far, I have only seen one image of a Forstschutz man: The photograph appears in John R. Angolia's "Belt Buckles and Brocades of the Third Reich". The uniform worn in that particular photograph is a military-style field blouse with Allgemeine SS-style shoulder boards and -collar patches (blank on the right side) and sports a sleeve eagle. This is combined with a dark (probably black) sidecap with a metal button at the front, trousers tucked into boots, a bayonet (or dagger?) of some sort and what appears to be a standard Army-pattern belt and buckle.

Furthermore, a "Forstschutzkommando" cuffband is currently for sale at "The Ruptured Duck"; see here:
http://www.therupturedduck.com/WebPages/Cloth/c702.htm

Hope this helps.

Phil Nix
In memoriam

Post by Phil Nix » 15 Feb 2005 10:45

The deputy State Secretary in the Reichsforstamt in 4 Year Plan Office and deputy head of the Reichsforstamt was SS Brigadeführer Willi Parchmann until he died 13.May 1943. Here is his picture, he is four from left front row with glasses
Phil Nix
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hajo

Thank you!

Post by hajo » 15 Feb 2005 20:18

Thank you very much for your information!!! Very interesting to me!

Do you know of any rank charts of the Forstschutz? I do not mean the "usual" forestry officials.

HPL2008

Re: Thank you!

Post by HPL2008 » 15 Feb 2005 23:21

hajo wrote:Thank you very much for your information!!! Very interesting to me!

Do you know of any rank charts of the Forstschutz? I do not mean the "usual" forestry officials.

Sorry, but no. I posted practically everything I could find about the FSK above.

freiwillige

Post by freiwillige » 16 Feb 2005 07:37

Hello,

The Forstschutzkommandos were employed from summer of 1944 to combat parachuted guerrillas of the pro-soviet "Freies Deutschland" germans in East Prussia.

Source: “Freies Deutschland” Guerrilla Warfare in East Prussia, 1944-1945:
A Contribution to the History of the German Resistance
PERRY BIDDISCOMBE (German Studies Review, 2004)

Regards,

Ferran

tom_deba

Re: Forstschutz

Post by tom_deba » 19 Dec 2008 23:25

Do we know something about activity and tasks of FSK in occupied territories of Reich?

Fennicus

Post by Fennicus » 21 Dec 2008 05:51

An article on the Forstschutz was published in the May/June 2008 issue of the German IMM - Internationales Militaria Magazin. It is written by W.P.B.R. Saris and Mathieu de Wolf and the title is Das Forstschutzkommando des Reichsforstmeisters.

In addition, Roger Bender has announced that the next issue of his Military Advisor will carry an article on this subject. I don't know if it is a translation of the German article or something different. See http://www.bender-publishing.com/Military_Advisor-NEW_ISSUE.html.

tom_deba

Post by tom_deba » 21 Dec 2008 16:43

Thanks for information!

An article on the Forstschutz was published in the May/June 2008 issue of the German IMM - Internationales Militaria Magazin. It is written by W.P.B.R. Saris and Mathieu de Wolf and the title is Das Forstschutzkommando des Reichsforstmeisters.

Do you have access to that article?

Fennicus

Post by Fennicus » 21 Dec 2008 16:51

Do you have access to that article?

Sorry, no.

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”