Stu-40 - Sturmi - Finnish Assault Gun Battalion

Discussions on the Winter War and Continuation War, the wars between Finland and the USSR.
Hosted by Juha Tompuri
Tanker Mike

Stu-40 - Sturmi - Finnish Assault Gun Battalion

Post by Tanker Mike » 28 Feb 2005 19:09

Hello,

I am modeling a Finnish WWII Assault Gun Battalion in the Summer of 1944 using GHQ Micro-Armor and need some help on the equipment used. Knowing that the composition changed quite abit in 1944, I've picked the Summer of 1944 to model. Thanks in advance!

So, is the following correct?

Battlion Staff: 3 Opel Kapitän Cars

Battalion Company:

Command Platoon: 3 Motorcycles, 2 Trucks(3t), 1-BA-20, 1 Stu-40 Signals Platoon: 3 Radio Cars, 1 Truck(telephone)
Supply Platoon
Ammo Squad: 4 Trucks(3t)
Motor Vehicle Maintenance Squad: 3 Trucks(3t)
Medical Squad: 1 Ambulance
Supply Squad: 3 Trucks(3t)

1st Company
Command Platoon: 2 Motorcycles, 1 Truck(3t), 2 Stu-40s, 1 BA-20,
Maintenance Squad: 1 VW, 1 Truck(3t)
1st Platoon: 3 Stu-40s
2nd Platoon: 3 Stu-40s
3rd Platoon: 3 Stu-40s
Supply Platoon:
Ammo Squad: 2 Maultiers, 1 Truck(3t)
Motor Vehicle Maintenance Squad: 1 Maultier
Medical Squad: 1 Ambulance
Quartermaster’s Squad: 3 Trucks(3t)

2nd & 3rd Companies
Same as the 1st

3rd Mobile Repair Platoon
Fitters Squad: 3 Repair Trucks
Metal Workers & Carpenter Squad: 4 Trucks(4.5t)
Recovery Squad: 2 Famos, 1 Crane Truck
Gun Repair Squad: 1 Truck(3t)
Quartermaster’s Squad: 1 Truck(3t)

JTV

Re: Stu-40 - Sturmi - Finnish Assault Gun Battalion

Post by JTV » 01 Mar 2005 08:57

Tanker Mike wrote:Hello,

I am modeling a Finnish WWII Assault Gun Battalion in the Summer of 1944 using GHQ Micro-Armor and need some help on the equipment used. Knowing that the composition changed quite abit in 1944, I've picked the Summer of 1944 to model. Thanks in advance!

So, is the following correct?
I have not seen that listing before, but it looks quite possible. The vehicles listed in it seem to be the types Panssaridivisioona did use. 3rd Platoons is each of the three Assault Gun Companies didn't get their assault guns until July 1944. Before that their personnel served as infantry. The radio cars were Steyr.

Harri

Post by Harri » 01 Mar 2005 21:05

This is the organization of the Assault Gun Battalion (Rynnäkkötykkipataljoona, Ryn.Tyk.P):

Battalion HQ (Maj. E. Åkerman)

HQ Company
----- Command Platoon [Commander's StuG III G, reserve StuG III G, BA-20 arm'd car, 2x supply truck, 3x motorcycle]
----- Signals Platoon [Steyr Sd.Kfz.15 radio car]
----- Supply Platoon
----- ----- Ammo Squad [4x truck]
----- ----- Motor Vehicle Overhaul Squad [3x truck]
----- ----- Medical Squad [ambulance]
----- ----- Household Squad [3x truck]

1st Assault Gun Company (Capt. C.-B. Kvikant WIA +, 16.6. - 25.6.44 (acting), 27.6.44- Lt./Capt.(27.8.44) M. Sartio,
25.6.-27.6.44 WIA + Capt V. Mikkola)
----- HQ Platoon [2x StuG III G, BA-20 armoured car, supply truck]
----- I Platoon [3x StuG III G] (Lt. M. Sartio)
----- II Platoon [3x StuG III G] (Lt. O. Aulanko wounded, 15.6.44- )
----- III Platoon (without tanks until August 1944)
----- Mechanics Squad [VW Typ 82 Kübelwagen, truck] (13 men)
----- Supply Platoon
----- ----- Ammo Squad [2x Ford V/8 Maultier, truck]
----- ----- Motor Vehicle Overhaul Squad [Ford V/8 Maultier]
----- ----- Medical Squad [ambulance]
----- ----- Household Squad [3x truck]

2nd Assault Gun Company (Capt. W. von Troil KIA, 16.6.44- Lt. Lindqvist (acting), 22.6.44- Lt./Capt.(44) Y. Talvitie)
----- I Platoon [3x StuG III G] (Lt. M. Kiuasperä)
----- II Platoon [3x StuG III G] (Lt. A. Peltonen)
----- III Platoon (without tanks until August 1944)
----- Mechanics Squad [VW Typ 82 Kübelwagen, truck]
----- Supply Platoon (similar to one in 1st Coy)

3rd Assault Gun Company (Capt. T. Kumlin)
----- I Platoon [3x StuG III G] (Lt. Myllymaa KIA, 15.6.44- 2Lt. P. Vuorio)
----- II Platoon [3x StuG III G] (2Lt. P. Beckberg)
----- III Platoon (without tanks until August 1944) (2Lt. E. Julkunen)
----- Mechanics Squad [VW Typ 82 Kübelwagen, truck]
----- Supply Platoon (similar to one in 1st Coy)

III Movable Repair Shop Platoon * (2Lt./Lt. U. Suoranta)
----- Mechanics Squad [3x Büssing-NAG 4500 A repair shop truck]
----- Metal and Woodwork Squad [4x store truck]
----- Towing Squad [2x Sd.Kfz.9 FAMO half-track, Büssing-NAG 4500 crane truck]
----- Weapons Repair Squad [truck]
----- Household Squad [truck]

* subordinated to Assault Gun Battalion

Harri

Post by Harri » 02 Mar 2005 22:38

I found this interesting photo from this site (it is the only of its kind although):

http://www.oulu.ouka.fi/ppm/laukka/index.htm

It is photographed probably during the battles of Vuosalmi in Karelian Isthmus in July 1944. These officers are from the 3rd Assault Gun Company (from left to right): Messenger Officer / 3rd Coy Lt. Harry Fagerlund, Company Chief Capt. Tor Kumlin and probably Platoon Leader, Knight of the Mannerheim Cross #133 (awarded on 26.6.1944) Lt. Olli Aulanko. Photo was taken by Military Official Uuno Laukka and is copyrighted by The Northern Ostrobothnia museum (Pohjois-Pohjanmaan museo), Oulu, Finland.

http://www.oulu.ouka.fi/ppm/laukka/kuvat/7/6427.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nenonen

Post by Nenonen » 03 Mar 2005 08:59

The third guy doesn't look like Aulanko. Wasn't he wounded in the battle of Kuuterselkä?

Juha Hujanen
Financial supporter

Post by Juha Hujanen » 03 Mar 2005 16:43

IMHO he is Aulanko indeed.He was WIA 15.6.44 in Kuuterselkä but returned to his unit in early July.

Cheers/Juha

Harri

Post by Harri » 03 Mar 2005 19:08

I wasn't quite sure if it is Lt. Aulanko or not but to me this guy looks a lot of him. I have also compared his field cap and clothes which match perfectly. Note that he does not wear Mannerheim Cross (if he had it yet?) Does anyone have other photos on Aulanko?

This photo may have been taken after the Continuation War although I bet is is from Karelian Isthmus and Vuosalmi where 3rd Assault Gun Company was active. I found especially interesting that Capt. Kumlin was in the photo because he is far seldom seen than other Company Chiefs.

Nenonen

Post by Nenonen » 04 Mar 2005 08:45

Juha Hujanen wrote:IMHO he is Aulanko indeed.He was WIA 15.6.44 in Kuuterselkä but returned to his unit in early July.

Cheers/Juha
Roger that! He still seems different from the pictures I've seen of him, but that's the way it often is with pictures. In the pictures that I've seen his features are much sharper. Perhaps they fed him well in the hospital.

Juha Hujanen
Financial supporter

Post by Juha Hujanen » 04 Mar 2005 18:48

Here's another pic of Aulanko.He's on left.

Cheers/Juha
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Harri

Post by Harri » 04 Mar 2005 23:54

That's the same man absolutely. Thanks once again Juha (#1 or H.)!

Tanker Mike

Steyr Sd.Kfz.15 radio car

Post by Tanker Mike » 08 Mar 2005 14:54

First off, thanks to everyone for the responses and excellent information. I do have one question, with only one vehicle in the Signals Platoon it seems odd to me that it wasn't a Section instead of a platoon. Are there some vehicles missing?

Mike

Harri

Re: Steyr Sd.Kfz.15 radio car

Post by Harri » 08 Mar 2005 18:05

Tanker Mike wrote:
First off, thanks to everyone for the responses and excellent information. I do have one question, with only one vehicle in the Signals Platoon it seems odd to me that it wasn't a Section instead of a platoon. Are there some vehicles missing?
As far as I know there were no other cars and trucks, just this one Radio car. The composition of Signals Platoon was as follows:
- Signals Master [Platoon Leader], Radio Mechanic
- Radio Car [perhaps represents "Radio Squad"?]
- Telephone Squad

You are right. Basically calling this unit a "platoon" is rather odd. Perhaps it was planned to be expanded later? I think Telephone Squad moved by bicycles or used "loaned" vehicles. I don't know the exact strength of the platoon. Usually Signals Squad was about NCO and 8 men but radio squads were smaller, one (or two) NCO and 2 to 4 men.

There were only four such Steyr radio cars in Finland. Three of them were in Signals Battalion 6 (VP 6) which also belonged to Armoured Division.

Tanker Mike

Sturmi Numbering

Post by Tanker Mike » 11 Mar 2005 15:47

Hello,

This excellent website on Finnish WWII armor, http://www.andreaslarka.net/, has pictures of different Sturmi. Each WWII Sturmi has a number, 531-X. What does the 531 mean and how were the individual numbers assigned?

Thanks,

Mike

Harri

Re: Sturmi Numbering

Post by Harri » 11 Mar 2005 17:08

Tanker Mike wrote:Each WWII Sturmi has a number, 531-X. What does the 531 mean and how were the individual numbers assigned?
Each Finnish armoured vehicle should have an individual number in form "Ps.Nnn-Xxx" Different assault gun models had so called "Ps. number" between Ps.501 and Ps.549. Ps.531 means StuG III G.

Individual vehicle numbers were just current numbers starting (usually) from the number 1 onwards. Finnish StuGs were numbered as Ps.531-1...59 (two batches 1...30 bought in the late summer 1943 and 31...59 bought in the summer 1944). Vehicle Ps.531-13 was a "spare part vehicle" and was "cannibalized" already during the war.

Ps. numbers are still in use.

korup

Re: Stu-40 - Sturmi - Finnish Assault Gun Battalion

Post by korup » 21 Aug 2020 16:47

I would like to refresh this topic (after 15 years, or so) expanding given information a little and asking a few questions, that were not asked here as of yet. Tanker Mike and Harri provided excellent information on Rynnäkkötykkipataljoona basic organisation – thank you. Using SA-Kuva resources I would like present some of the vehicles mentioned in the list. Ignoring Sturmis we have - among others - motorcycles, BA-20M light armoured car, Steyr Sd.Kfz.17 radio car and VW Typ 82 Kübelwagen.
pojazdy inne 01.jpg
Harri suggest Steyr Sd.Kfz.15 as radio cars, being ordinary Steyr 1500 all-terrain vehicle with provision for radio installation. A vehicle on the image looks like Sd.Kfz.17 being Steyr 1500 with unified box body Fu.Kw. and frame antenna. Another crop seem to confirm this:
pojazdy inne 05.jpg
I am not an expert on motorcycles, so I don’t even try to identify them. As for Volkswagen Type 82, the ones used by Ryn.Tyk.P were registered SA38500-38507. Information on SA38500 can be found here: http://www.andreaslarka.net/JohanssonSten/kubel.html. I couldn’t find any better information on BA-20M with conical turrets (BAB-B), so their “R-“ numbers remain unknown. They wear three tone camouflage I guess. Two used, or more?

All Ford V/8 3t lorries were of German origin, so correct designation shall be universal V3000. They had single windshields, Notek lights, simplified cockpits, various tools on the sides (shovels, pickaxes, etc) and typical Dunkel Gelb (RAL7028) painting overall after arrival. The latter was supplemented by other camouflage colors at later date.
pojazdy inne 01.jpg
None of the Finnish half-tracks is well described. The ones assisting Sturmis were for sure Maultiers being derivatives of ordinary Ford V3000 with semi tracked chassis.
pojazdy inne 03.jpg
Some Maultiers were equipped with trailer resembling Sd.Ah.31 in size, though I am not sure about exact type.
pojazdy inne 02.jpg
...I have to continue in separate post as "machine" doesn't allow me to put more than five attachments. Sorry.
Cheers,
Pawel

Return to “Winter War & Continuation War”