Michail Petrowitsch Minin ?

Discussions on the Allies and the Neutral States in general and the countries that does not have sections of their own.
knieptang
Banned

Michail Petrowitsch Minin ?

Post by knieptang » 15 Mar 2005 21:02

In a german TV-Production, Mr. Michail Petrowitsch Minin was interviewed as the first soldier of the Red Army in Berlin 1945 to raise the Red Flag on the Reichstag.

Link: http://www.zdf.de/ZDFde/inhalt/26/0,187 ... 78,00.html

In this documentary, Michail Petrowitsch Minin meets Ernst Bittcher, 1945 a 15 year old defender of the Reichskanzlei, a very touching scene.

I would like to know and learn more about Minin, any link or information is very welcome, Thank You.

Regards Michael

knieptang
Banned

Post by knieptang » 15 Mar 2005 21:25

Another photo of Minin from 1945(?), to sorry, I can not read russian language...?

Source: http://www.iremember.ru/infantry/minin/minin_r.htm

Regards Michael

knieptang
Banned

Post by knieptang » 18 Mar 2005 02:09

Minin, and four(?) other russian soldiers stormed the Reichstag building around midnight, they put the red flag on the head of the Germania-statue, no photograph was taken at that time, there was no photographer on the spot.

The russian/ukranian(?) soldier on the following, very well known picture is NOT Minin, this picture was shot one or two days later, just for propaganda purposes:

The interview of the old veteran Minin was very impressive, please add your annotations, Thank You!

Regards Michael
Last edited by knieptang on 18 Mar 2005 05:07, edited 1 time in total.

knieptang
Banned

Post by knieptang » 18 Mar 2005 04:40

Old Veteran Minin lives in poorness nowadays in the modern Russia, what a shame!

I believe in brave Soldiers, not in Countries, Minin is forgotten, just see this Thread, nobody cares, Minin puttin the Red Flag was not photographed, not worth another look...

I am very sorry for this brave man, but it was my intention to remember this soldier, gerade auch als deutscher Staatsbürger.

Michael

Königstiger

Post by Königstiger » 13 Jan 2008 19:50

Minin died last Thursday, 10 January 2008.

It seems that there are also several sources that state that it were Sergeant Mikhail Alekseyevich Yegorov and Junior Sergeant Meliton Varlamovich Kantaria of the 756th Rifle Regiment, 150th Rifle Division, who raised the flag on the Reichstag in the evening of 30 April 1945.

Yegorov, Kantaria, a Master Sergeant who was with them and two officers received the title 'Hero of the Soviet Union' a year later. The man on whose shoulders Yegorov en Kantaria stood when hoisting the flag, Lieutenant Aleksei Prokofyevich Berest, was ignored. It was only after insisting by his former comrades that he was posthumeously awarded the title 'Hero of Ukraine' in 2005.

So, which story is true, the one with Minin or the one with Yegorov and Kantaria? Henry Sakaida wrote in his book about the HSU's that Zhukov received over 20 requests for HSU titles for raising the flag on the Reichstag. Only five were actually awarded. If Minin was the one who raised the flag first, why was he ignored? Personally, I think the Minin story is made up, mainly because of the insistence to award Berest.

knieptang wrote:Another photo of Minin from 1945(?), to sorry, I can not read russian language...?

That's the wrong Minin (Georgy Ivanovich, while this topic is about Mikhail Petrovich).

John W
Financial supporter

Re:

Post by John W » 06 Apr 2008 23:09

Königstiger wrote:If Minin was the one who raised the flag first, why was he ignored?
This wikipedia entry (yes, I know I'm quoting Wikipedia!) claims that Kantaria was picked over Menin because Kantaria was a native of Georgia - noting that Stalin was a native of Georgia and suggesting that political intrigues played a role in propaganda.

cheers,
"Air goes in and out. Blood goes round and round. Any variation of this is a bad thing"
John, RN

Return to “The Allies and the Neutral States in general”