POW Camps in the Middle East

Discussions on every day life in the Weimar Republic, pre-anschluss Austria, Third Reich and the occupied territories. Hosted by Vikki.
GracieS

Re: POW Camps in the Middle East

Post by GracieS » 24 Nov 2021, 18:33

neuro wrote:
12 Mar 2012, 23:29
Hi my father was posted to POW camp 380 in Eygpt in 1948 and had his portrait painted by H. Preiss an inmate of the camp - does anyone have information about this artist. Thanks
Hi - I don't have any information for you, but I'd love to speak to you in regards to any information you've already found!

wbfamily

Post by wbfamily » 15 Dec 2022, 07:23

GracieS wrote:
24 Nov 2021, 18:24
wbfamily wrote:
09 May 2015, 21:39
Skyderick wrote:There was a POW camp in Palestine, located on the hilltop of Latrun. Many German and Italian soldiers captured in North Africa were held there in 1942. There were separate sections for foreign citizens suspected of collaboration with the enemy and for Jewish and Arab militants respectively.
I have a list of a couple of hundred German POWs interned in this camp, in case anyone's looking for a name. The majority seems to consist of Air Force members.
My Opa was held in N. Africa. His name is Walter Beynun. He was an artist as well and would trade his paintings for cigarettes.
Hi! I would love to speak to you about your grandfather if possible!
Hello!
I'm so sorry it took so long for me to see your reply. I would love to speak to you.

romelitzs

Post by romelitzs » 09 Feb 2023, 15:04

I have lost the reference in the book,not in the index either.In Imperial Reckoning it says that a British man who later moved to Kenya administered all of the POW camps out of the former Radio Marina in Asmara,which was later renamed Kagnew Station and became the primo transmitter location for the Americans.

CogCalgary

Post by CogCalgary » 09 Feb 2023, 15:51

romelitzs wrote:
09 Feb 2023, 15:04
I have lost the reference in the book,not in the index either.In Imperial Reckoning it says that a British man who later moved to Kenya administered all of the POW camps out of the former Radio Marina in Asmara,which was later renamed Kagnew Station and became the primo transmitter location for the Americans.
I have the book and lost the reference as well.Believe it to be past the 200 page mark.Any reference to Asmara is also missing in the index.

CogCalgary

Post by CogCalgary » 10 Feb 2023, 03:23

The reference also fails to appear in the index of both Kindle and Google books digital editions.

Waleed Y. Majeed

Post by Waleed Y. Majeed » 10 Feb 2023, 09:39

Do not know if it has been mentioned or comes under the definition of POW camp but there was a camp outside Basrah, Iraq.
https://www.german-civilians-of-persia- ... mp-in-iraq

Waleed

CogCalgary

Post by CogCalgary » 10 Feb 2023, 14:45

Interesting that they mentioned that some men were separated and sent to British interrogation centers in Palestine.Would this be the SIG?Members were known to be Jews.IIRC,the Small Wars page had a quote from one Jewish fellow that claimed that SIG stood for Special Interrogation Group.Not Special Intelligence Group.

Canal Zoners

Post by Canal Zoners » 17 Mar 2023, 23:31

Hello Everyone. My name is Patricia and I run a veterans organisation in the UK for those who served in the Middle East during the 1940's -1950's. I have on my web site pages relating to the POW Camps in Egypt. Obviously any articles written by the servicemen who either worked at the camps or who had the POW's working with them on the Army & RAF Bases there. Everyone says the same - always lovely young men, cheerful and a pleasure to work with. There are some photos on the site along with stories told and details of the camps.

I would be happy to receive any more photos that anyone has that they would like put on the site or any other information they would like to include. Everything on the site is written by the members who were in the Suez Canal Zone. Obviously those who are still with us are now in their 90's but they remember their time spent in Egypt as if it was yesterday.

Website page to view is www.canalzoners.co.uk/POW Camp/Gallery POW Camps.htm
or you can email me with your photos to [email protected]

I would love to hear from you

CogCalgary

Post by CogCalgary » 23 Mar 2023, 05:33

I noticed that info had become thin again.Will be having a look.

whoare365q

Post by whoare365q » 11 Apr 2023, 12:30

My grandfather (Lt RNZNVR, radar) was stationed on Ceylon as an FDO during the war, and I have an aluminium cigarette case and lighter dated 1945 made by an Italian POW there for him out of parts from the wreck of a Hurricane. The engraving on them is quite exquisite. Anyway, he was based at RNAS Katukurunda, so presumably there was a POW camp nearby there.....

LAstryAGAIN

Post by LAstryAGAIN » 21 Apr 2023, 18:29

One account claims that SS POWS escaped and Faught Jews in Israel 1948-1949. Trying to confirm if this ever happened at viewtopic.php?f=50&t=270748

CogCalgary

Post by CogCalgary » 03 Jul 2023, 00:16

Canal Zoners wrote:
17 Mar 2023, 23:31
Hello Everyone. My name is Patricia and I run a veterans organisation in the UK for those who served in the Middle East during the 1940's -1950's. I have on my web site pages relating to the POW Camps in Egypt. Obviously any articles written by the servicemen who either worked at the camps or who had the POW's working with them on the Army & RAF Bases there. Everyone says the same - always lovely young men, cheerful and a pleasure to work with. There are some photos on the site along with stories told and details of the camps.

I would be happy to receive any more photos that anyone has that they would like put on the site or any other information they would like to include. Everything on the site is written by the members who were in the Suez Canal Zone. Obviously those who are still with us are now in their 90's but they remember their time spent in Egypt as if it was yesterday.

Website page to view is www.canalzoners.co.uk/POW Camp/Gallery POW Camps.htm
or you can email me with your photos to [email protected]

I would love to hear from you
Your link is dead.

Return to “Life in the Third Reich & Weimar Republic”