Hitlerjugend Ausland

Discussions on all aspects of the NSDAP, the other party organizations and the government. Hosted by Michael Miller & Igor Karpov.
-Michael

Hitlerjugend Ausland

Post by -Michael » 26 May 2005, 21:02

I know the Hitlerjugend had a Flemish branch, namely the Hitlerjugend Flandern. Where there other Hitlerjugend organisations whit boys from other Europeen contrees? Or was the Hitlerjugend Flandern a unique organization?

Michael

Lobscouse

Post by Lobscouse » 28 May 2005, 01:39

While searching for information on German shipping companies operating around South Africa, I came upon a site dealing with South-West Africa (now Namibia) in the 1930s, that included photos of uniformed HJ in one of the towns that must have had a sizeable German community. Unfortunately, I no longer have that site on my favourites, having suffered the blue screen of death, and no back-up.

HaEn
In memoriam

HJ

Post by HaEn » 28 May 2005, 04:43

There were two H.J. groups in the Netherlands. One dated from before the war and was a part of the N.S.N.A.P. (dutch nazi organisation), and of course after the occupation there was the "regular H.J." containing German born youths. If I am not mistaken, the Dutch group was at that time slowly assimilated into the German one. The N.S.B. (another dutch nazi party), had their own group: De Nationale Jeugdstorm. This one prevailed during the occupation, and many of the jeugdstormers wnet into German Military service.
HN

Helmut Von Moltke
Banned

Post by Helmut Von Moltke » 09 Nov 2005, 15:51

intresting. Can someone post the pic that was mentioned about the HJ in South Afrika?

logibear64

Post by logibear64 » 11 Nov 2005, 19:31

I do not have any photographs. However, in the US Army Counter Intelligence Corps files at the NARA College park, there are files on the activities of the various NSDAP organizations in Africa, South America and elsewhere. They include name lists of party members etc. You'd be surprised at the number of NSDAP followers in some of the remotest corners of the world.

Phil

Pendragon

Post by Pendragon » 12 Nov 2005, 20:13

I know that there was a HJ-like organisation in Brasil. The used nearly the same symbols etc

Matt Gibbs

HJ Gebeit Ausland

Post by Matt Gibbs » 22 Nov 2005, 16:14

The HJ HQ Organisation was divided as we know into areas called Gebeit and they had a specific one for overseas Germanic Youth in German communities called the Auslands Gebeit. It no doubt liased closely with the various Germans Overseas organisation too. There were HJ units in many foreign countries which had a German presence or community, specially the pre WW1 colonial territories, so it seems.
Some quotes from Baldur von Schirach
""In this direction, friendly cooperation with the biggest society, the German Colonial Society, takes place; material is exchanged. As much as the promised shipping space is available, members of the HJ (colonial lecturers) should be sent to the former German colonial territories so that they can learn at the spot the present-day conditions and give the Germans there a sign of our attachment. Supported by what they have seen and lived, they should after their return work here to enlighten the HJ in the country.""

Also:
""to go into the details of the activities of the Foreign Department. Generalobergebietsfuehrer Karl Nabersberg devoted much energy to these duties and gave up even the leadership of the staff of the Reich Youth leadership with which he was charged for a time in favor of this task which had his particular interest. The thought that every Hitler boy and every BDM girl regardless in which part of the world they are, form a great comradeship and march together in spite of local separation in one direction and live and work in the same spirit was realized by the Foreign Department of the Reich Youth leadership.""

There are an amazing number of HJ Arm triangles of overseas colonies in many of the books on collecting HJ memorabilia, such as Japan and USA even. The HJ Flanders unit is probably not therefore unique.
Kind regards
M Gibbs

-Michael

Post by -Michael » 22 Nov 2005, 18:09

But in the Hitlerjugend Flandern there where more Flemish than German boys, and most of their leaders where Flemish too, if I'm not mistaken this wasn't the fact in the other HJ-Ausland Organisations?

Matt Gibbs

Hj

Post by Matt Gibbs » 28 Nov 2005, 00:31

Stormann;
I guess that they were more like a youth section of the NS party in their country, like the youth section of the Nasjonal Samling in Norway?
regards
M G

Matt Gibbs

Hj

Post by Matt Gibbs » 28 Nov 2005, 00:31

Stormann;
I guess that they were more like a youth section of the NS party in their country, like the youth section of the Nasjonal Samling in Norway?
regards
M G

E-IV

Post by E-IV » 23 Dec 2005, 11:21

The HJ outside the Reich - present in almost every country of the world - was not organized in a homogeneous way as susceptibilities and local law had to be respected. Organizations ranged from clubs, mixed youth associations to pure HJ Standorte.

Return to “NSDAP, other party organizations & Government”