hitler's propaganda film?

Discussions on the propaganda, architecture and culture in the Third Reich.
bruce

hitler's propaganda film?

Post by bruce » 20 Sep 2002, 02:46

today my history teacher told me that in 1942 hitler ordered to make a movie about acient teutonic battles and whole armies were involved to make the battles more realistic...he was criticized for that since there was a desperate need for people on the eastern front...but she (the teacher) of course doesnt know the name of the movie

any1 knows wot movie it is? may be u could give me the name

thx :|

Nigel

Post by Nigel » 20 Sep 2002, 06:38

The movie you refer to is probably titled "Kolberg". It was three years in the making and was completed in 1945 just before the final collapse of the Third Reich.

The movie was one of Goebbels pet projects and it re-created the heroic resistance of the Prussian town of Kolberg to the Napoleonic armies. The movie employed a cast of thousands of German soldiers dressed in ancient uniforms and within earshot of the advancing Russians. The movie was intended as a propaganda piece designed to instill the spirit of fanatical resistance in the German public (at least those who were still alive).

I doubt any criticism of its production was heard at the time since any such remarks could land you in a concentration camp or worse.

SOURCE: Klaus P. Fischer, Nazi Germany - A New History 1995

Cheers
Nigel :lol:

varjag
In memoriam

Kolberg

Post by varjag » 20 Sep 2002, 14:14

Thanks Nigel for the snippets about the making of KOLBERG. This film was a major propaganda piece in the late-war German film industry and no doubt worth seeing. Any idea where copies or videos,may still exist?
For those looking for Kolberg on todays maps, try Kolobrzeg in Poland.

Lawrence

Kolberg

Post by Lawrence » 21 Sep 2002, 00:06

varjag, you can order Kolberg from International Historic Films; the URL is http://shop.store.yahoo.com/ihf/index.html the last time I checked I think it was like, thirty bucks for it. Regards!

Return to “Propaganda, Culture & Architecture”