Where exactly is Lichterfelde Barracks?

Discussions on all (non-biographical) aspects of the Freikorps, Reichswehr, Austrian Bundesheer, Heer, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Fallschirmjäger and the other Luftwaffe ground forces. Hosted by Christoph Awender.
User avatar
Kameraden
Member
Posts: 556
Joined: 04 May 2004 14:54
Location: Scotland

Where exactly is Lichterfelde Barracks?

Post by Kameraden » 29 Jul 2005 21:13

Hi

Where exactly are Lichterfelde Barracks (Andrews Barracks ) in Berlin please?
I have a copy of a map of Central Berlin from 1944 and am trying to find it.
It may possible be off the map and thats the reason i cannot.

Thanx

Max Williams
Member
Posts: 10861
Joined: 04 Feb 2003 16:57
Location: South UK

Post by Max Williams » 30 Jul 2005 12:09

Finckensteinallee, near Lichterfelde-West S-Bahn station.
Max.

User avatar
apache
Member
Posts: 65
Joined: 03 Sep 2004 02:38
Location: Missouri in the USA

Post by apache » 31 Jul 2005 15:58

Max History wrote:Finckensteinallee, near Lichterfelde-West S-Bahn station.
Max.

:idea: can anyone possibly provide a small map of WWII Berlin, and point out where lichterfelde is?

or where the Lichterfelde West S Bahn Station is?

thnx

User avatar
philipp0408
Member
Posts: 175
Joined: 31 Jan 2005 00:02
Location: germany

Post by philipp0408 » 31 Jul 2005 16:17

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/ ... trChoice=0

Where the blue circle is.

Lichterfelde is a part of a district (bezirk) in berlin

There was öocated the Leibstandarte. Its a huge Kaserne.

Today you can find there the BDC. Berlin Docuent Center, where all SS and NSDAP membership files are lying and a lot more.

Andreas
Member
Posts: 6938
Joined: 10 Nov 2002 14:12
Location: Europe

Post by Andreas » 31 Jul 2005 16:22

Southwest of central Berlin. If you go to e.g. Multimap.com you can easily find it. PLZ = 122205

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi? ... 000&icon=x

My guess is that the barracks were/are the big empty space SW of the red circle.

All the best

Andreas

User avatar
Kameraden
Member
Posts: 556
Joined: 04 May 2004 14:54
Location: Scotland

Post by Kameraden » 31 Jul 2005 18:04

Thanx Guys!!

User avatar
apache
Member
Posts: 65
Joined: 03 Sep 2004 02:38
Location: Missouri in the USA

Post by apache » 31 Jul 2005 19:28

philipp0408 wrote:http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/ ... trChoice=0

Where the blue circle is.

Lichterfelde is a part of a district (bezirk) in berlin

There was öocated the Leibstandarte. Its a huge Kaserne.

Today you can find there the BDC. Berlin Docuent Center, where all SS and NSDAP membership files are lying and a lot more.
Thanks also for the map and locator. For some reason i always had this false assumption that Lichterfelde Barracks was located in the german countrysdie somewhere.
In all the pictures i have ever seen of Lichterfelde, it always showed just the buildings and i never saw Berlin in hte Background i guess.

How long was the training process at Lichterfelde for a recruit who just signed up in lets say the late 1930's? Was not it only a few months? and then they got deployed
to the division?

User avatar
philipp0408
Member
Posts: 175
Joined: 31 Jan 2005 00:02
Location: germany

Post by philipp0408 » 31 Jul 2005 19:36

Hello apache,

Iam sorry, but I dont know much about the LSSAH, so I cannot answer your question. I knew it only, because I was there before some months to do research there. It is really a very huge area, with huge stone barracks. Like the nazi style, huge with not much decoration.

Your assumption could be right. Lichterfelde is located in the western part of Berlin, so it is very possibel, that it was EINGEMEINDET, which means it was put officially to Berlin around the twenties. Before this time it was a own small town or village, much like a countryside town. Not comparable with today Berlins appearance. This happened with a lot of district around that time, which were located outside from Berlin. So Berlin grew more and more. For example by Hans-Joachim Marseille stands he is born in Berlin-Charlottenburg. Because at this time Charlottenburg was an own town and became later official part of Berlin. Could be the same with Lichterfelde. Today both are normal parts opf Berlin. Charlottenburg is very beautiful.

User avatar
apache
Member
Posts: 65
Joined: 03 Sep 2004 02:38
Location: Missouri in the USA

Post by apache » 31 Jul 2005 22:17

philipp0408 wrote:Hello apache,

Iam sorry, but I dont know much about the LSSAH, so I cannot answer your question. I knew it only, because I was there before some months to do research there. It is really a very huge area, with huge stone barracks. Like the nazi style, huge with not much decoration.

Your assumption could be right. Lichterfelde is located in the western part of Berlin, so it is very possibel, that it was EINGEMEINDET, which means it was put officially to Berlin around the twenties. Before this time it was a own small town or village, much like a countryside town. Not comparable with today Berlins appearance. This happened with a lot of district around that time, which were located outside from Berlin. So Berlin grew more and more. For example by Hans-Joachim Marseille stands he is born in Berlin-Charlottenburg. Because at this time Charlottenburg was an own town and became later official part of Berlin. Could be the same with Lichterfelde. Today both are normal parts opf Berlin. Charlottenburg is very beautiful.
Thanks for the info Phillip. I am just so interested in finding out about this place. Lichterfelde being as large as it was , and being home to the 1st SS units, interests me and i am trying to compile the entire layout of this type of base with its Barracks and other accomodations. You said that u visited there correct??

anyway thnx for the help!

User avatar
philipp0408
Member
Posts: 175
Joined: 31 Jan 2005 00:02
Location: germany

Post by philipp0408 » 31 Jul 2005 22:34

hello apache,

yes I visited there, because I live there 8) . When I was there I took a piece of paper with me, where the entire history of this building/barrakcs is written. When I find it in my other papers I will try to translate it. The place is very huge and looks ideal for a LSSAH unit. Many barracks, a big assembling place in front of the main building, long paths and very cold atmopshere, Not a lively place

User avatar
apache
Member
Posts: 65
Joined: 03 Sep 2004 02:38
Location: Missouri in the USA

Post by apache » 01 Aug 2005 01:00

philipp0408 wrote:hello apache,

yes I visited there, because I live there 8) . When I was there I took a piece of paper with me, where the entire history of this building/barrakcs is written. When I find it in my other papers I will try to translate it. The place is very huge and looks ideal for a LSSAH unit. Many barracks, a big assembling place in front of the main building, long paths and very cold atmopshere, Not a lively place
Awesome!

You say many barracks and living quarters?

Isn't there like 3 main big halls or buildings or something there. Really i dont know i just thought i read that somewhere. I am interested to hear more about this! if you can post any other stuff about Lichterfelde i would appreciate it!

How far do u say it is from downtown Berlin?

User avatar
tyskaorden
Member
Posts: 298
Joined: 12 Mar 2002 12:40
Location: Sollentuna, Sweden

Post by tyskaorden » 04 Aug 2005 11:44

philipp0408 wrote:Hello apache,

Iam sorry, but I dont know much about the LSSAH, so I cannot answer your question. I knew it only, because I was there before some months to do research there. It is really a very huge area, with huge stone barracks. Like the nazi style, huge with not much decoration.

Your assumption could be right. Lichterfelde is located in the western part of Berlin, so it is very possibel, that it was EINGEMEINDET, which means it was put officially to Berlin around the twenties. Before this time it was a own small town or village, much like a countryside town. Not comparable with today Berlins appearance. This happened with a lot of district around that time, which were located outside from Berlin. So Berlin grew more and more. For example by Hans-Joachim Marseille stands he is born in Berlin-Charlottenburg. Because at this time Charlottenburg was an own town and became later official part of Berlin. Could be the same with Lichterfelde. Today both are normal parts opf Berlin. Charlottenburg is very beautiful.
You are quite right, the village of Lichterfelde with medieval roots was in 1870 united with the villages of Steglitz, Lankwitz, Giesensdorf to form the municpality (Gemeinde) Steglitz. In 1920 Steglitz was made a Bezirk of Gross-Berlin.

User avatar
tyskaorden
Member
Posts: 298
Joined: 12 Mar 2002 12:40
Location: Sollentuna, Sweden

Post by tyskaorden » 04 Aug 2005 11:53

During the Kingdom of Prussia and the Empire of Germany the Hauptkadettenanstalt of ten companies was situated in Lichterfelde. Could it be that the LSSAH took over the Barracks of the Hauptkadettenanstalt?

User avatar
Radar
Member
Posts: 340
Joined: 03 Aug 2002 09:07
Location: Germany

Berlin barracks

Post by Radar » 04 Aug 2005 17:08

Hallo Apache,

This must be the area in Berlin. May be philipp0408 can point out which buildings he is talking about. The picture is from the programm D-Sat3.

Radar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Kurt_Steiner
Member
Posts: 3979
Joined: 14 Feb 2004 13:52
Location: Barcelona, Catalunya

Post by Kurt_Steiner » 04 Aug 2005 19:02

perhaps this map could help

http://www.alt-berlin.info

Return to “Heer, Waffen-SS & Fallschirmjäger”